GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Momodou S Sidibeh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jun 2002 13:50:13 +0200
Ebou Jallow wrote:

".......
.  This hungry neighborhood can barely feed itself more-or-less wage an
offensive military campaign.  Neither country, Senegal nor Bissau will never
be able to carry out a sustained military offense whilst the Gambia
maintains a sufficient defensive armed forces.  It is absolutely foolish for
leaders in the sub-region to even think about invading a neighbor. Both
Senegal and Bissau are far better off mantaining a cordial relationship with
The Gambia.  Both countries have too much to loose...especially Senegal, the
heartland of the separatist
 resistance.  I would advice President Jammeh to expand his defensive weapon
system acquisition, especially low range anti-aircraft weapons to defray any
threats from the rudimendary Senegalese airforce. "

Well Mr. Jallow even though you say you are not advocating war, you seem to
want to advice president Jammeh to prepare not just for one but two wars -
one with Guinea-Bissau and another with Senegal. The entire premise for
contemplating such an eventuality rests partly on threats of invasion from a
delusional Kumba Yalla in Bissau, and partly on your claim that ".. Gen.
Mansur Seck has been making a purile systematic lobbying to
 acquire weapons from the US..."

I am not a pacifist at all but going by your standards, statecraft must
indeed be very serious business since even when you are not contemplating
war you seem to think it quite necessary to encourage an arms race in the
region. Yes, we both want the same thing for the Gambia but our methods
would certainly bring different results to Gambia. Instead of spending
unavailable money on low-range anti-aircraft weapons, I should suggest that
the government imports cheap generic drugs to help Gambian mothers infected
with HIV/AIDS and equip the university library, while using all available
diplomatic channels to put pressure on Kumba Yalla to withdraw his threat.

In general relations between Gambia and Senegal have remained very cordial
throughout the post independence era. Except for a couple of cross border
skirmishes in the sixties, the result of Senegal's attempt to forcefully
stop smuggling, Senegalese military involvement in Gambia has been in
response to Gambian instigation (1981). Senegal's military has always been
better-equipped and better trained than what ever armed institution  that
obtains in Gambia. Even if we assume as you do, that Senegal wants a puppet
regime in Gambia, we are forced to conclude that the reason(s) it has not
tried to impose such a regime is not contingent on Gambia's defensive
military capabilites!

President Jammeh must make sure that those fighting for an independent
Casamance are not allowed to set up bases on Gambian soil, not because
Gambia should not be sympathetic to their demands, but because Gambia must
reject seccession. Gambia must use whatever influence it has to encourage
dialog and a political settlement of the conflict. A stable, peaceful and
prosperous Gambia that encourages, pursues, and strengthens economic and
cultural ties with neighbours in the entire subregion is her best line of
defense.

If President Jammeh should acquire low range anti-aircraft missiles on the
bases of threats from a mentally unstable President Yalla, half a country
away, and whose own opposition believes him to be mad, then both presidents
must see a decent psychiatrist.
As they say here, that is my D1.00 opinion.

Sidibeh, Stockholm/Kartong