GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Ceesay, Soffie" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Apr 2003 07:45:57 -0700
Hello G-L and G-Post members -

The ad below was to be ran on April 7th, 9th, and the 11th on the Point and
Independent Newspapers.  I tried several times to get through to the MD at
the Observer to have it run on the 10th but could not get through.

Thank you,
Soffie Ceesay

Ps - I will provide a state of the funds report - if not this afternoon,
tomorrow.  Saul Mbenga, check your email - I need your help.

Fellow citizens, today and in the days to come, we join you in prayer and
reflection.  April 10th and 11th of 2003 will mark the third anniversary of
the brutal killings of Gambian students by those in our country's security
forces who chose to follow the order to shoot at them on these two fateful
days in 2000.

The collective conscience of our nation remains blighted by both the cruel
nature of the crime and the patent denial of justice to the families of the
victims. To remain true to our shared values, The Gambian people must insist
that those who have been killed and maimed receive fair judicial redress
within the confines of our laws.

The coroner's report suggests the culpability of the Secretary of State for
Interior, virtually the entire top brass of Police at the time, the Police
Intervention Unit deployed to the Kanifing municipality on 10 April, and no
less than 15 other police officers operating in various locations across the
country.  These people were deemed accountable for the heinous and inhumane
acts of April 10th and 11th of 2000. This sweeping indictment is a strong
indication that the Commission of Inquiry conducted a through and intensive
investigation prior to making its recommendations.  Yet, the government
still rejected these well-balanced findings by deciding not to prosecute
those found to be responsible for two of the darkest days in our previously
peaceful history. It is prudent, perhaps, to remind ourselves that the use
of live ammunition and overwhelming force on children can never be justified
nor simply swept under the rug. By failing to prosecute those responsible,
the government woefully failed to uphold the human rights of the Gambian
citizen.

The Commission of Inquiry also proposed several recommendations that would
serve to prevent such tragedies in the future. They proposed that security
forces be "flexible, courteous and tactful in their dealings with the
general public, in full accord with the operational principle and procedures
of all security forces in The Gambia."  These noble standards should be
adhered to, and citizens can begin to feel safe and have trust in our
security forces.

Yusupha, Sainey, Hassan, and Abdou Karim, we have not forgotten you.

We pray that The Almighty continue to grant the following departed souls
eternal blessing.  May He continue to imbue those of us who are witness to
the tragedy inflicted on them the moral rectitude to continue our efforts in
standing up for what is right for The Gambia and it's people. May He guide
and sustain us as we struggle for freedom and justice in our country.  We
shall never forget you.

Bamba Jobarteh
Abdoulie Sajaw
Calisco Preira