GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Haruna Darbo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Oct 2000 07:01:00 GMT
Excellent idea Karamba. I hope you will stay on top of the logistics to
completion. I am wholly behind your efforts and it does not take an alumnus
to recognize a splendid effort.

Once you have figured out the modalities (discrete fund or regenerative e.g.
interest-yielding), let us know. I imagine the L community considers this a
highly commendable effort and one worthy of our support. Once in a while
solicit suggestions from G-L'ers on aspects of the effort so that you may be
afforded the benefit the expert and energetic brothers and sisters whose
conversation we enjoy daily and keep us informed on your progress.

I am of the impression that the D200.00 I spend on carbonated drinks monthly
may have found better bargain. Soon Armitage will not need unreliable
subsidy from government, present or future. The idea may sound premature,
but it would help to shoot toward a goal for your efforts: for example-self
funded, and run by an independent board of governors and officers who are in
no way beholden to the whims of any government save for property tax short
of land-grant status by government.

This will go a long way in solidifying democratic institution.

In the same breath, I wish to commend MLJassey Conteh. He has embarked on an
effort to aid opposition parties in order to make the imminent electoral
process truly competitive. I urge all G-L'ers to give such efforts their
support and encouragement. Such is what improves our lot.
All cultural communities of the world have garnered respect and legitimacy
from internal philanthropy: B'nai Brith, Arab league, Irish Commons etc. Ba
qu'est ce que vous attendez?