GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sigga jagne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Oct 2000 19:51:49 -0700
Thank you Mr. Kanteh.  I could not agree with you more
on some of the things that you pointed out, especially
the following statements

"...This culture of indifference and neutrality to
injustices certainly exposes a basic a and blatant
hypocrisy. So long as Jammeh's brutality doesn't
impact on them directly, they don't give a tosh about
those whose lives have been traumatized by this Jammeh
Mess! And we are still wondering why we are accursed
with a disaster like Jammeh? Spare me. The Jammeh Mess
will be here so long as these hypocritical attitudes
do not change...."

I think the problem is that some Gambians feel that
there is nothing they can do, or that if they say
anything, they or their families will be harmed in
some way.  But what they do not realize is that, if we
all keep quiet and say or do nothing, sooner or later
every one of our lives will be negated in some way by
the down ward spiral that our country is being led
towards.  It might be in the form of such massive
poorverty, because Jammeh is driving our economy to
the dumps, that crime increases to an incredible rate.
 And people have got to eat some how.  And if it gets
bad enough, they just might be driven to a
ruthlessness that may cause them to find you in your
house and murder you in your sleep.  Or it might be
Jammeh sending his troops out again to murder yet
someone's family member or friend.  Or again, it might
be Jammeh and his crazies driving our country into a
bloody war leaving our families dead, wounded, or
wandering around as refugees.  Who knows what form it
might take, the possibilities are endless.  And they
should not think that "Oh, it can't happen in the
Gambia."  For who thought that April 10 and 11 would
ever happen in the Gambia?  And am sure there was a
time that Sierra Leoneans and Liberians thought that
what is happening in their countries now, would never
happen.  All I know is, we all need to start doing
what we can in whatever little way we can, before it
is too late.  And any little effort is better than
nothing.  For a journey of a million miles, always
begins with a step first.  No body is completely
helpless, not unless you chose to be.  And choosing to
be helpless, is the first sign of failing.  We should
all refuse to stand by silently as Jammeh murders our
families and friends and drives our country to
purgatory.  We are all equally responsible in
determining what future our country is going to have.
And we should take our responsibilities seriously.
Signing a petition, writing to a newspaper, or
donating to funds may seem like very minute acts.  But
an addition of all such small acts amount to a giant
force.  Just watch termites when they attack a huge
tree.  Each one of them is so tiny in comparison to
the tree, but together they keeping chipping away
tirelessly and eventually, the tree comes down.

Well, Mr. Kanteh, I will continue to fight.  For like
you and like others like you, I know that the are no
other alternatives.  We must fight to restore our
country to democracy.

=====
"NO ONE CAN MAKE YOU FEEL INFERIOR WITHOUT YOUR PERMISSION"

                       ALSO

"NOTHING IS UNACHIEVABLE, THE ONLY QUESTION IS, WHETHER ONE IS WILLING TO DO WHAT IT TAKES TO ACHIEVE WHAT IS DESIRED"