GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Abdoulaye Saine <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 29 Oct 1999 17:11:01 -0400
To The G-L Community:

The passing of Mr. Anthony L.R. Blain is a major loss to Gambia and
Gambia's Education enterprise and to those he taught and mentored at
Armitage.  I remember him vividly as a young English Literature
graduate-teacher who made Macbeth and Caesar come alive in his classes.
Tony, as he was fondly called by his friends, was liked and respected by
teachers and students alike. An avid soccer player, Mr. Blain also
distinguished himself as a strict and fair disciplinarian, a dignified
man and a role model for his students.

Upon retirement from the Department of Education, he and his longtime
friends, Alhaji Sheik Joof and the late Mr. Abdoulie Ceesay ran ICE.  I
will remember him fondly for having instilled in his students the love
of literature, learning and hard work.  Mr. Blain's death witnesses the
passing of a person who dedicated his entire life to nourishing the
minds of young Gambians.  He will be missed.  May he rest in eternal
peace.

And to his wife, Tabara, children, family members and friends, we share
your pain and rejoice with you, because Tony was truly a remarkable
person.

Abdoulaye