GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
panderry mbai <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 25 Jan 2006 13:21:06 +0000
                                                           BY PA NDERRY M'BAI
                                             GAMBIAN AFFAIRS WRITER

  The Youth Wing of Gambia's National Alliance for Democracy and Development NADD, has issued a strongly worded statement calling on the NADD leadership to avoid the issue of resorting to primaries on the party's leadership crisis and maintained whoever is selected by the Executive to serve as flag bearer in the country's 2006 polls. In a letter dated January 20TH, 2006, the NADD Youth wing, communicated a decision that was reached at the party's secretariat, by their colleagues, on the said the leadership struggle creeping into the much talked about coalition.

  Reading the solutions of the Youth Wing demands, on the line to Banjul, our NADD well trusted source said the Youths gave the NADD executive series of demands to meet. Our source went on to name some of  the key points of the resolutions issued by the concerned NADD Youth Wing members.

  1. That the flag bearer must be able to win the confidence and  trust of NADD.
  2.That the flag bearer must be selected amongst the membership of NADD.
  3.That the flag bearer should not be just anyone, but somebody who can win the support, trust and confidence and not only the members of NADD, but also outside of the alliance as well.
  4.That the flag bearer should be someone who is capable of being a unifier without any biased whatsoever. That the executive committee should immediately resolve and conclude the issue of the selection of a flag bearer, in unanimity, without rancour, in the interest of the unity of the NADD party, in particular and both interest of the Gambian people in general.
  5.That the issue of resorting to primaries for the selection of a flag bearer should be avoided.
  6.That  the executive should have the interest as well as the capacity of concluding this issue to the satisfaction demand and interest of all members.

  The NADD Youth Wing continued our source,  concluded by saying "long live NADD unity, long live NADD, long live The Gambia.

  In another development, my well placed source said the NADD executive are supposed to meet today at 3 o clock Gambian time, to  finally decide who should lead the much talked about coalition. My source also  promised to get back to me as soon as they wrap up the said meeting. Our readers will updated as developments unfolds.

  It would be recalled that Omar Amadou Jallow, was selected by the majority at the first NADD leadership nomination, but for some reasons, the UDP leader  Ousainou Darboe, could not immediately make up his mind on OJ'S selection. It appears that the UDP leadership is not recognising that decision, in view of the their slow reaction on the issue. Well today is the  D day for the final selection process. We hope parties concerned will  put national interest ahead of personal interest.

  The said petition letter dated  Friday 20TH, January 2006, was signed by the NADD Youth Wing Members, across the West African country.