GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 14 Sep 1999 21:14:22 EDT
Mr. Jaiteh,
With all due respect, I wish to answer part of your questions regarding
African unity.  I will first quote "United we stand, divided we fall" a
famous and practical saying we all know.  Why do you think we have tribal and
civil wars in Africa?  It is evident that different tribal groups and
languages in Africa is a major factor in the conflicts in our regions.  Every
tribe or group is trying to come to power to favor their own people.    The
United States is the most powerful nation in the world today, because they
are able to pull resources together and build their economy.  The Soviet
Union was one of the most powerful before the cold war simply because they
were together as one nation.  Today they are as backward as any other nation
in the world.  Why didn't Europe remain individual countries without European
union?   It is also evident that Europe can be more powerful when they unite.
 Why does multibillion companies like AT&T and others come together as one
big company.  It is again evident that those companies despite all their
wealth can do better if they come together.
    If all these unities in the world have made a difference, why would
Africa be an exception?  Are we not human beings like them?  Can't we think
and act like they did to develop our continent.  Why do we Africans always
believe we can't be like the rest of the world?.  This is exactly why we
always remain to be where we are.  We fail to think hard, work hard because
we are infected with the nortion that we cannot be anything other than being
poor, dependent and isolated.
     I sincerely believe this mentallity in our brains has to be wiped out
compeletely in other for us to change the condition of our people.  We have
to believe that we can make a difference from our ancestors.  That we can be
better than we think.  It is a possibility, either we try it or not.  Until
we explore the possiblity of uniting us, we shall never be united.  "He who
fears failure shall never succeed." Therefore, we must face the challenges
ahead of us.  I do hope these answers and questions will help expand the
debate.  Sorry for any unacceptable language.
God bless
Demba.