GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Feb 2001 09:40:52 -0500
MRDGUK,
This is simply fantastic. I applaud you for this achievement. There is no
better way to put the record straight and counteract the junk information
the British High Commissioner in Banjul is obviously feeding the British
Foreign Office. We have total confidence in you and we know that by the end
of the session you would have convinced these officials about the
callousness of the dictatorship back home.

Yaya's dismal record will be exhibited for everyone to see. He has moved
Gambians from the frying pan to the fire. Never in our history has so many
children been massacred in broad daylight. Never have we seen the level of
lawlessness that now permeate our society. Never has the ordinary Gambian
experienced this level of poverty. The level of corruption Yaya and his
cohorts are engaged in, is also new in The Gambia. All these facts are
documented, and we believe you would not have any difficulties laying them
in front of the British Parliamentarians.

At the end of the day, Yaya sympathizers like the British High Commissioner
in Banjul, have to bring concrete facts to counteract what we in the
opposition are saying. Yaya and his cohorts have to justify murder. They
have to justify the numerous abductions and arson attacks in the country.
They have to justify the numerous undemocratic laws in the country. In other
words, Yaya and his cohorts have to help the British reconcile their
"Ethical Foreign Policy" with the callousness Yaya visits on the Gambian
people. When we give the British all the facts, we should then ask them to
ask Yaya for his side of the story. If Yaya cannot come up with logical
reasons (we all know that the vermin is incapable of justifying murder),
then the British have to write Yaya off, just like the Americans did.

After all the facts are in, I hope the British will rethink their decision
to further arm a dictator that will not hesitate to unleash deadly force on
children as young as three. The British cannot reconcile their "Ethical
Foreign Policy" with resumption of military cooperation with a dictator that
is worst than Idi Amin Dada. The machine that is going to be used to
massacre defenseless children, should not be greased by civilized nations.

While discussing the resumption of military cooperation with the
dictatorship, we should resolve not to accept cock and bull stories about
Gambia's contributions to peace-keeping operations in the sub-region. As we
pointed out before, our contributions to these missions are negligible.
Those contributions certainly do not merit this type of gesture from the
British. Because Gambia sends three or four soldiers to Sierra Leone does
not mean that the British should try and legitimize the dictatorship and
help train the soldiers that Yaya will use to massacre our children and
intimidate political opponents. Besides, the UN Security Council report on
"Blood Diamonds" has to be taken into consideration when revisiting Gambia's
role in Sierra Leone.

The British have to withdraw the scholarships given to Yaya's armed
mercenaries (that will not hesitate to murder innocent Gambians in order to
protect a paranoid Yaya). The British have to cease all military cooperation
with The Gambia until we have a democratically elected government led by
someone whose hands are not tainted with the blood of our children.
Henceforth, the British officials should also be critical of the information
fed to them by their High Commissioner in Banjul. The man obviously is
insensitive to the plight of ordinary Gambians. I say that because no decent
person would aid and abet Yaya by helping him to build up the army that he
uses to brutalize Gambians.

Once again, I thank all the members and supporters of MRDGUK. Your efforts
are commendable. I might not be with you, in person, when you talk to these
officials, but I will be with you in spirit. I look forward to your feed
back to G_L after the briefing.
KB