GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 May 2001 11:28:03 -0400
Ebrima, thanks for the forward. Matter of fact, I was about to respond to
Karamba's piece with the same sentiments from your Source when I saw the
mail you sent. The decision from the UDP leadership showed that they
appreciate the crucial nature of the registration process we are embarked
in. This is not to say that other parties that wish to attend do not
appreciate the importance of this exercise. I am glad to hear that ALL the
political parties in the Opposition are taking this matter very seriously
and would ensure that ALL and ONLY eligible Gambians are registered to vote.
The 'challenges' should be prepared NOW. Right here we have a genuine reason
to boycott the elections IF we detect foul play during the registration
process that we cannot remedy through court challenges. As your Source said,
this is do or die.

I will also take this opportunity to appeal to Karamba and the UDP
leadership to explore means of having a representation at the ALD programs.
Spreading their message in the Diaspora and raising funds is also a
worthwhile enterprise. Although we recognize that there are pressing issues
on the ground that need to be taken care of, it will not also hurt the party
if they have a representative (could be one of their stalwarts in the
Diaspora) out here to present a paper at the ALD symposium. I also hope that
talks with the Diaspora to form a United Opposition is NOT also put on hold.

We have not heard from the other parties yet, so I assume that they will be
attending as promised earlier on. If the other parties have a strong
machinery back home to take care of the registration exercise, I see no
reason why they cannot attend the events here as planned. Personally, I will
not hold it against any party that declines to send a representative from
Banjul. Likewise, I will not criticize any party that decides to send a
powerful delegation, leaving behind a strong presence at the registration
venues in Gambia. Basically, as far as I am concerned, I will accept the
good faith reason of any party for attending or declining to attend.

Ebrima, thanks again for your contributions and those of your Sources.
Karamba, we also thank you for your tireless efforts and we hope people like
you or Mballow can do something about the ALD presentation; depending of
course on what the organizers want to do also.
KB