GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
abdou sanneh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Mar 2002 02:58:14 -0800
The disruption of UDP congress in Brikama by Yahya
Jammeh's political police wing-NIA is a clear signal
that the regime do want a strong political force in
that country.I am surprise when some elements are
saying that he is trying.Trying what?Enriching him
self from our national coffers.The Kombo coastal road
project is nothing order than a loan which is going to
make our people suffer more and more when the re
servicing or the payment of our loan begin.Gambia is
today confronting with massive youth unemployment.The
regime is not willing to create ventures that can
reduce such menace.
Folks i know within these five years in power, Gambian
people will witness a massive erosion of human rights
violation as economic condition before worse and
worse.Imagine a bag of rice is now D280 and how many
households can afford three meals a day?With a weak
and fragile opposition parties, I think what we need
to do as concern Gambians in the diaspora is to
support civil organizations such the coalition of
human rights defenders.I respect and honour the work
being done by folks like Muhammed Lamin Sillah, Ousman
Manjang and Emmanuel Joof.They are working day in day
out to voice their concern and support the people who
are arrested, torture and detained without trials.I
know these organisation with their non-partian nature
needs both our moral and financial support.Our
struggle for the restoration of democracy should not
be focus on only cyber politics.I want brother like
Yusupha jow, Dave Manneh, Kebba Dampha, Haruna,
Karamba, Joe, Jabou and the rests to look into how we
can work and collaborate with the coalition for human
rights defenders and know what type of support they
need from us.Its about time we should learn from the
historical realities of Latin America where a strong
civil organizations have struggle to eliminate
military dictatorship.
Abdou Karim Sanneh
Manchester UK