GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ousman Gajigo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Mar 2003 21:12:36 -0800
Habib,

I think it's very good idea to look at history and avoid repeating mistakes.
But while we are busy looking at the history of some empires (I would argue
that the ones you list are very different from the US "empire"), we should
not lose sight of what history teaches us about giving victories to
dictators. I think everyone in this forum believes that Saddam is terrible.
Saddam will be as strong (if not stronger) as his pre-Guld War days if the
US withdraws now. A withdrawal by the US would achieve nothing but to
embolden this cruel leader. We are all aware that he is currently
cooperating because of the presence of US troops. The moment that threat is
gone, this whole UN inspection will be history. The French, who are
currently doing all they can to trip the US, would conveniently forget about
it until the US takes up the issue again. And we will come back to where we
are today.

Until a few days ago, I was in favor of the US going through the UN security
council. But not anymore. It's now completely clear that the French,
Russians, and Chinese are more interested in containing the US than Iraq.
The display of US military power, even when used to do something good, is
considered threatening by some countries. This is not surprising because all
the three countries named earlier aspire to hold the position held by the US
today. So whenever I hear the French say:
"Let's give peace a chance. Give inspectors the time they need to dis-arm
Iraq."
I interpret it as: "If we restrain this crudely aggressive hyperpower now,
we can go a long way towards removing the biggest obstacle to France's
ascendency to international prominence."

Ousman