GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
ebrima ceesay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Dec 1999 07:53:06 PST
Mba Darboe,

I myself have read the news item on Mr Jammeh being named the ECOWAS
President of the Century; and, to tell you the truth, for me, the whole
thing was a joke. And because I didn't take the award seriously, I didn't
see the need to react to it. Furthermore, I was busy with my football, which
is also part of me.

But I agree that the record needs to be set straight, if not for anything,
but for posterity's sake. By the way, Mba Darboe, the Chairman of the Gambia
Press Union (GPU), Demba Jawo, is now a Gambia L subscriber, and I am sure
he, or the GPU, would have a reaction to this development.

As for my own reaction, you can get it, at some point, but, meanwhile, I
need to find out more about this Association, in terms of who its members
are, where it is based, and for what purpose it was formed etc.

Mba, it is true to say that African journalism has made some headways over
the period, but, believe me, we still have a long way to go. Journalism,
like any other profession, has those who are honest and sincere and those
who are not.

So this award to Jammeh, coming from a section of the African press,
shouldn't surprise you at all.

In fact, when I come to analyse African Journalism in terms our strength and
weaknesses, then this award to Jammeh, given to him by this "young African
journalists", wouldn't surprise you at all. Just give me some time, so that
I can find out more about this group.
Meanwhile, let's hope that we would hear from Demba Jawo, who is one
Gambia's most respected journalists.

But we have to understand that the way SOME of us have access to a free
Internet, in the West, is different from those in the Gambia. So if there is
a delay in hearing from Mr Jawo, it should be understood, because they have
to pay, in order to use the Internet, unlike me in Birmingham who does not
have to pay a single butut to use the Internet.

Ebrima Ceesay
Birmingham, UK.