GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joe Sambou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Apr 2002 15:26:03 +0000
Brother O.J., thanks for coming out and straightening out the record.  All
fair minded Gambians know that the government confiscated your passport
because of what you stand for in their eyes.  You have a right like any
other Gambian to a Passport and it cannot be revoked on any illegitimate
grounds even by a dictator.  If it is revoked under the guise of the
statement there in, but for no just cause, then we the people have to speak
up, for the authority of the state to act on our behalf originates from us.
I wished that all victims of this government would stand up and tell the
whole world the abuses meted to them, rather than recoil and beg for mercy
for being a victim.  This criminal enterprise needs to be exposed and we
need folks like you who in the face of tyranny rise up and be counted.
Regardless our political affiliations, we as citizens of The Gambia need to
recultivate the habit to tell the truth.  It seems as if we overnight,
turned into big time "Baadolaas" (raggedy).  As our forebears have it, one
is a "Baadolaa" not in the rags one wears, but in the behavior (baadolaa Du
Chi Soolu Weene Gi, Waaye Chi Geekoo Gi La).

On a different note, I was saddened and shocked to read a quote in one of
the local news papers, that Brother Mass Axi Gaye, one of the contenders for
the post of Mayor of Banjul, was a militant of the July 22 Movement during
the AFPRC days.  I hope that does not mean the image that comes to mind when
we think of that infamous outfit for thugs, by thugs and of thugs.  I've
known brother Axi Gaye for most of my life and he upheld an upstanding
character as a citizen.  So, brother Axi, if you should read this mail,
please come forward and clarify what you mean by your statement that "You
were a Militant of the July 22 Movement during the AFPRC days.  What does
that mean and the citizens of Banjul need to know.  I would appreciate
anyone close to Axi to enlighten this list about his association to that
thug movement.  We shall speak the truth for it shall set us free.

Chi Jaama

Joe Sambou