GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Landing Jatta <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Apr 2000 16:58:19 -0700
My Dear Joe,

I think you are missing the point. You need to
comprehend the fundamental distinction between the two
principal duties of Military and Law enforcement. I
think you have a bird's eye view of what a military
duty entails. A military's chief duties are two fold:-
(1)War-time duty and (2)Peace time duty. A War-time
duty ofcourse is to defend its national sovereignty
and all those things we rightly value as a nation.
This main function is what many people tend to view
the military with; and as a result, people like you
tend to advance a very narrow image of the military.

The second contentious duty is the peace-time duty.
Peace-time responsibility comprises of nation
building, reconstruction and building bridges,
providing health care, rescue operations disaster
relief, education and training, this is just to
mention a few. But in addition to all these, the most
paramount duty is to preserve law and order and, of
course, to act as a deterrent to any force that
impedes peace and tranquility and economic
development. What I am alluding to in the latter is
that being a military leader or civilian leader, which
ever administration tends to unfoster and impede peace
and tranquility and economic advancement must be
stopped by the PATRIOTIC MILITARY FORCES IMMEDIATELY,
and replaced by calling for ELECTIONS within THREE
MONTHS, as was the case in PASKISTAN, though the the
Paskistani Leader chose to stay; that is absolutely
wrong, and the General of Pakistan should step down
and call for free and fair elections. And this is the
case now in our BEAUTIFUL and INNOCENT COUNTRY, THE
GAMBIA.

To conclude, my argument rests on that Peace-time duty
of the military to step in, in a timely manner before
it is too late. Look at countries like RWANDA and
SIERRA LEONE and LIBERIA. Please, do not get me wrong,
the Military 's duty is not to run a country, but to
rescue a country from brink of collapse. And our
country now is on the brink of collapse. So EBOU COLLY
is absolutely right:YAYA MUST GO, and lets have peace
and tranquility restored back home.

Landing Jatta

--- joe sambou <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

<HR>
pronto, mail, free email, free, branded, web based,
free web based email, communications, internet,
software, advertising banners, e-mail, free
contributions to this discussion.  I am <BR>
equally frustrated with this regime and I understand
your <BR>
frustration.  However, Ebou Colley and Jatta are not
saying anything <BR>
new.  All the military thugs that ran our continent to
the sea said <BR>
the same thing.  Remember, Jammeh also said the same
thing.  Instead <BR>
of <BR>
the gun, why don't they mobilize their colleagues and
exercise their <BR>
constitutional right to ensure a free and fair
elections and also <BR>
vote him out of office.  This way, the cycle of blood
letting is <BR>
broken and innocent lives will not be lost.  I am not
worried about <BR>
future retirement of Yahya and his rodents.  No place
is far and no <BR>
shelter is secure, for we will prosecute them to the
fullest.  They <BR>
know that.  We should not let our emotions guide us,
but our <BR>
intellect.  Our brothers and sisters in Senegal did
it, we can do it <BR>
too, with clear thinking and persistence.  <BR>
<BR>
Lets forge ahead.<BR>
<BR>
Chi Jaama<BR>
<BR>
Joe Sambou<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
E-mail at
your 100MB FREE Internet storage!  Sign up now

go to the Gambia-L
Web interface at:
http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/gambia-l.html