GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Momodou Camara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Sep 2001 16:10:54 +0200
Dear Subscribers,
The List managers hereby, welcome all new subscribers who joined the list
during the last months. We hope that you find the List a useful forum to
discuss, debate and share information on and about The Gambia.

As elections draw nearer and hopefully debates get heated here on this mailing
list, Gambia-l management is once again reminding members to refrain from name
calling and endless insults on the L.

Some people questioned what we term as offensive language. The bottom line is
that any Language is offensive if we would not like our kids to throw at us.
These include but not limited to insults, swears and all those things most
Gambians would call "Neng Diro" in Mandinka or "Saaga" in wollof. In  other
words, language that is not acceptable in everyday Gambian public places.

We are aware that no one is perfect including us all but those who abuse their
privileges of being here on the Gambia-L and at the same time ignore our
warnings both privately and in public will be de-listed without hesitation.

GAMBIA-L is aimed at providing Gambians and those interested in Gambian and
related issues, a means to communicate with each other, and exchange ideas and
information of common interest. In the process, it is hoped that a spirit of
cooperation, of exchange of ideas, of healthy debate and dialogue for the
National good will be cultivated. True, ours might not be one of the biggest
lists, but we certainly can make it one of the very best in cyberspace.

Subscription to GAMBIA-L is open, and free to all, but conditional upon
approval by designated list owners. The list administrators can still take
steps to ensure that individuals whose purpose is to cause mischief are
prevented from joining. Nevertheless it's hoped that our individual sense of
responsibility, fairness, and decency, coupled with the community policing of
the list will help prevent, and contain outbreaks of poor taste in our debates.

On behalf of the Gambia-L Management
e-mail: [log in to unmask]

Momodou Camara