GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Musa Jeng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Dec 2002 15:36:43 -0500
Coup d’etat as a political option?

Coup d’etat according to Webster Dictionary,a sudden overthrow of a government in deliberate violation of a constitution by a group of persons who are in a position of authority. Now to paraphrase Mr. Lamin Waa Juwara at the July Fourth Conference in Atlanta, “ I don’t want any form of coup d’etat because we never know what crazy people we are going to end up with”.

Most Gambians share the views held by Mr. Juwara, but are they realistic? And to take it further, is there a difference when coup is used to remove a constitutional democracy, wrapped in a solid cloth of rule of law where generally power lies in the hands of the govern, and when it is used to remove a government that violates the constitution, total disregards for the rule of law, violates the civil liberties of its citizens and used the instrument of power to stay in power?

Coups of course are not new in the Gambia’s political process, and we have our own history as a guide. The 1981 abortive coup initially had its supporters, especially from the opposition and to many Gambians who thought that the PPP Government had overstayed, and yearned for a change. In the end the coup only brought about anarchy, death and destruction. But it also sent a chilling message to the ruling PPP that they are not as invulnerable as they might have led to believe. The legacy of the 1994 coup still remained with us and the debate continues whether has it brought us closer to democracy, rule of law and economic development? Although the interesting question is, would the then PPP government be removed out of power if it were not for the intervention of the Armed Forces?

Obviously, the above last question is only important for academic exercise, but it also attempts to guide us to the relevant question, is military intervention the only realistic option to bring an end to a government, that some seen has only brought us economic misery, death, violation of civil liberties and a bleak political and economic future? Well, to others, coups can only bring political and economic retrogression and instability. And as to the question to how do you get rid of a government of Bandits bend on taking us to the abyss, OH WELL! Tough question.

Thanks
Musa jeng