GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Musa Jeng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2000 14:49:50 -0500
In the eve of the Iowa Caucus, Iowans heading to the pools to once again set the
tone for the nomination of a new American President. They have the task of
deciding and contributing their part to who the next President should be. One can
clamour and be critical of the the complexity of the caucus system, but in the
final analysis, people exercised their right in participatory democracy. As
Africans, and especially most of our leaders would like us believe that
democracy(puttting power in the hands of its citizenry) is a western idea; would
even go further to belabour that there is more to democracy than voting. Any
processs that ignores the participation of its citizen would have an extremely
hard time building a nation, period. We can even get nostalgic, and talk about
how African men use to sit under the Bantaba and discussed issues of governance,
but even such a system excluded certain individuals like women and people deemed
to be from a lower caste  are not even considered in rulership. For the last
century, Africans have been confronted with civil wars, poverty, disease ridden,
political instability, absence of law and order and death; if this western idea
call democracy can save us from these aforementioned miseries, maybe for once we
should try it in its entirety. Is it not foolish and dumb to take their grants,
loans, import their technology, accept their food to curb our hunger, and still
justify the rejection of their system for not fitting the African way. The very
system that enables them to help us, would it not be smart to copy the system
that can build our economy, create political stability and put live liberty and
destiny in our ownd hands. Of course, you can also see me as another African
brother who has lost his Africaness(whatever that is), and has become a new proxy
of the neo-colonialist.

Musa Jeng