GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
saiks samateh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Dec 1999 14:15:43 PST
Dear B.M.

Thank you for your latest and have a nice reading here from the GRT News

   GRTS RADIO NEWS: TUESDAY DECEMBER 14TH 1999

   Reports from the URD speak of a serious water problem being experienced
at the Fatoto health
   centre. Our URD correspondent, who visited the centre, interviewed the
nursing officer in
   charge, Mr Bernard Gomez, who told him that the health centre has been
without a tap or well for
   the past two years. According to Mr Gomez, water for the centre is
fetched from the local middle
   school, located some 500 metres away. Our correspondent also    interviewed
the Divisional Health
   Officer, Batch Samba Conteh, who confirmed his department's knowledge    of
the problem. But he
   said they are waiting for action from the Department of Rural Water
Supply, which has promised
   to solve the problem.

For Freedom

Saiks

I wanted to wait for Ebrimas second part before responding to yours but since
there is not much to say in responding to yours I decided to do it now .By
the
way  it was  great to know that you belong to the new generation,I only hope
that there are many "90s husband" out there,or do we have any choice ?
You responded to my posting by insisting that ;
"what i said was that 97% of all children under 12 months had access to
maternal and child health(MCH) care. This is the result of
a well functioning and funded program that is easy to
monitor and is well targeted up and down the
country ..."
Again if 97% of these children did have accsee to maternal and child health
care and yet still did not undergo any immunization programme then the
quality
of such a programme needs to be upgraded ,because  part of the main objective
of child health care is to, among other things, provide children with such
services.If immunization is not part of this well functioning and funded
programme then something is wrong somewhere.And secondly it will be great to
know who was funding this programme.As said in my first posting that even
during the PPP era these developments were there and that they were also
claiming it to be their achievement.Yes B.M.I hold on to the fact that the
size of our country and population is of great advantage especially when it
comes to providing health and social services,I am not sure why you are
dismissing this fact and yet still insist that statistics are important in
drawing development strategies which I have no problem in agreeing with you.
What I am saying,like in  your statistic on the number of children who are
now
attending primary school, whiles these figures could even be true,you cant
depend on them entirely,because it could happen that half of these children
do
not complete their primary education or do not go beyond this level simple
because their parents are not able to provide them with the funding.And even
with that,either you or someone else mention here that the teacher /students
ration is unsatisfactory,how do we expect a quality education from such a
situation ?I other words,these statistics do not tell among other things the
quality of the education,this is what one is saying when I insisted that some
of these statistics do not correspond with the realities on the ground.I must
insist here again that I have never disputed the fact that statistics are not
important.

For Freedom

Saiks

> Even if Jones figures are correct that 97 % of Gambian
children under the age > of 12 have undergone the
immunization program,which is very doubting,might
> be based on the fact that our estimated population is
just 1.5 million,many > times less than that of Lagos.If we
even based our arguments on these figures > it will mean
that almost every Gambian child  under the age of 12 have
been > in contact with the health service in the
country,which is very doubting. > >

Hi Saiks,
Just a point of observation on the above quotation
attributed to me. I never said that 97% of all children
under 12 year have adequate immunization. What i said was
that 97% of all children under 12 months had access to
maternal and child health(MCH) care. This is the result of
a well functioning and funded program that is easy to
monitor and is well targeted up and down the
country. Nothing to do with Nigeria or size.

Yes there are lies, damn lies and statistics, but
statistics is just a guide to facilitate planning. In the
case of Gambia, what needs to be implemented is adequate
planning that is targeted to reduce poverty as sister ndey
mentioned. Let me take your example of Badibu Mandory or
Kerr Mama. Lets assume that Gambia family planning
association in collaboration with the DOH wants to reduce
the infant and child mortality rates in this area. Don't
you think that it is useful to know the target population
of all children under 5 in this area, resources provided
and a system of monitoring their progress instituted to
establish their survival rates. The number of babies born
can be established and monitored. That's how statistics
help in planning economy wide.

As i said, the challenge is development and without
planning there can be no development. So statistics are
just a guide in identifying your target population.

About 9 years back, i used to take my son to clinic every
saturday at leman street as my wife did the cooking for the
week (I am a 90s man). In Gambia on the birth of a child,
you are issued with a clinic card and in villages there are
trained traditional birth attendants that are taught what
to do and fill in forms to deliver to the community health
nurse ect. With the clinic cards, it is easy to monitor the
level of vaccination in Gambia. Even countries that are not
in political turmoil in Africa are studying our success in
this area. So let us promote the good and see how it can be
enhanced.

You said that economic statistics do not correspond to the
realities of the average Gambia. I think that is precisely
what Ebrima showed in his article. When you make a
statement like that, it is a normative statement based on
your value judgment. Ebrima is making a positive statement
backed with facts and figures. He is proving his point  with
concrete evidence to establish his assertion. This is what
statistics give you that you otherwise do not have.

For certain areas such as unemployment we know that it
exists but we do not know the actual level. In Gambia the
problem is more of underemployment that unemployment -i.e
there is the tendency for more people to engage in
productive employment during the rainy season. I
deliberately avoided talking about inflation and other
economic statistics and instead concentrated on health and
education. If anything Ebrima has shown as you said in your
last statement the extent of personal sacrifices needed
for nation building.

basil

postings, go to the > Gambia-L
> >Web interface at: >