GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Yusupha Jow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Dec 1999 02:51:20 EST
Mr. Khan,
I would not refer to a protest against something that I feel strongly about
as childish.  Hardly! This is surely not the first time people have either
protested against or stood up to bigots. And this will surely not be the last
time. Also, to err is human and it takes a better man or woman to admit so.
All the name calling is unwarranted.

As was stressed in my earlier piece, it is certain that there are unsavory
characters in NY.  There are unpleasant people everywhere.  But to stereotype
a whole section of the population because of a handful of negative incidents
that you have experienced is rather ignorant.  I have been to the Bronx and
many other black neighborhoods under a variety of different circumstances and
never experienced a negative incident. Now, what makes me so different from
you?  We both have a thick Gambian accent, dress and look a bit different.
So we stand out.  Yet, you still think that those that beat you up chose to
do so because they hate Africans and everything black?  Give me a break,
Saul!  There has to be more to your story.  Everything that you have stated
is your own opinion and  does not hold true for everyone.  Therefore, when
you start making blanket statements, stereotypes and assumptions, your views
start to become bigoted and ignorant.

Anyway, you still have not produced any evidence that your use of the word is
justified.  Except that you have chosen to use the a derogatory term to
define a whole subsection of the population.  You can use the word all you
want and also twist the definition to justify its use, but the definition of
a bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own
opinions and prejudices.  You certainly fit this definition based on your
thoughts.