GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sidi M Sanneh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Oct 2000 18:03:37 GMT
Ginny, Jabou and Bro. Habib,

As the new NBA season kicks off, it is in order to pause and pay homage to
the African-American pioneers of what it now the NBA .  These trail blazers
made it possible for the late Wilt Chamberlains, the Karim Abdul-Jabbahs
(the inventor of the sky-hook and the man responsible for the NCAA to ban
dunking at the college level which was subsequently lifted), the Dr. Js, the
Dave Bings, the Michael Jordans to play, refine and, in the process, define
the game to what it is today. The list comes on. Tribute also goes the
African-American pioneers of MLB of the likes of Jackie Robinson, Hank Aaron
and many more who played the game under the harshest and most hostile of
conditions.  Below is the story of one such pioneer of professional
basketball, as we enjoy the season opener.  Sidi Sanneh

   NEW YORK, Oct 27 (AFP) - While America are to celebrate Halloween
Tuesday,
the National Basketball Association will open its 2000-2001 season. It is
also
the 50th anniversary of Earl Lloyd becoming the first African-American to
play
in an NBA game.
   Lloyd, who was part of a teleconference call here Friday, remembered the
landmark game.
   "It was totally and unequivocally uneventful," he said.
   A man with a sense of humor, he added: "It was Halloween, maybe they (the
crowd) thought I was a goblin or something."
   The game was played in Rochester, New York.
   "There could not have been a better place to play the game. In the 1950s
it
was integrated and a sleepy New York town," Lloyd said.
   On Tuesday, Lloyd, who played with the Washington Capitols, the late
Chuck
Cooper and the late Nat "Sweetwater" Clifton and Hank DeZonie will be
honored
here at Madison Square Garden before the New York Kicks-Philadelphia 76ers
game.
   Lloyd will take part in a ceremonial opening tip and will be joined in
pre-game introductions by DeZonie, Clifton's daughter, Anita Brown, and
Cooper's son, Chuck Jr., and widow, Irva.
   Cooper was the first to be drafted by the Boston Celtics and Clifton was
the first to sign a contract with New York.
   DeZonie played five games in 1950 with the Tri-Cities Blackhawks, now the
Atlanta Hawks.
   Lloyd said he could not recall much about the first game, except his team
lost.
   After the game he said the team went back to the hotel where he was
allowed
to stay in the rooms, but not to eat at the restaurant.
   "I went to Coach 'Bones' McKinley's suite and saw sandwiches and beer. If
this happens when we lose ...," said Lloyd.
   He said that McKinley was "very special to me" because he was sympathetic
to what African-Americans were going through at the time. "He said, 'I can't
change it,'" said Lloyd.
   The two would eat their meals in his room when they were on the road.
   ps/jlp