GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joe Sambou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Dec 2001 21:23:11 +0000
Mariatou, thanks very much for your insights and welcome to this Bantaba.  I
agree with your conclusions and many people on this list agree with you only
they would not vocalize it.  It is an observation that some in the
opposition do not want to hear, but as stakeholders we have to honestly
review what went down in the last elections for the opposition.  Any keen
observer of politics knows that the PPP was the "Hunch Back Of Notre Dame"
in the last elections.  The manner in which they surfaced and hijacked the
process is evident to all and their eagerness to regaining the helm blinded
them to obvious realities.  The people have every reason to be suspicious of
the UDP/PPP relationship, especially when the latter frontloaded the
coalition campaign with its members.  The PPP was a dead weight and
continues to be a dead weight to the opposition and it behooves us to
acknowledge that fact.  And for one to suggest that the UDP has more in
common with the PPP is the height of the denial that grip some of us.  For
starters, the UDP should stop interpreting who the PPP are and what they
stand for, to the Gambian people.  They should realize that the electorate
lived with the PPP for 30 years and their opinions are based on real life
experiences not conjecture.  As long as the UDP continues to not see the PPP
in the eyes of Gambians, but in their onw liking, their chances in future
elections are a forgone conclusion.  Be rest assured that your conclusions
are shared by many on this list and it's up to one to believe otherwise.

On a side note, like Katim and others have stated, your postings and that of
the many heroines on this list reinforces our belief that we need more
female participation on this list for our country to make progress we aspire
for.  Thanks for your observations and I hope many more of your colleagues
will join the online discussions and not be silent observers.  We need your
contributions at all levels.  We may not be addressing a great many issues
relating to the plight of women in our society on this list, partly because
most of the contributors are male and, therefore, tend to focus on general
issues that affect our society at large.  Thanks for your perspective in the
discussions.

Chi Jaama

Joe Sambou