GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 26 Jul 2006 22:29:33 EDT

Foroyaa Newspaper Burning  Issue
Issue No. 56/2006, 24-26 July,  2006
Editorial

NO  EXERCISE OF PREROGATIVE OF MERCY!!
July 22nd CELEBRATION WITHOUT  DIFFERENCE!!
Many young able bodied people are incarcerated in  our prison system. Some
have been detained without speedy justice for many  years. Others are serving
long prison sentences. FOROYAA has called upon the  secretary of state for
interior to visit the prisons and identify the problems  of the prisoners. We have
been asked by some family members of many prisoners  what could be done to
release some prisoners who had been incarcerated since the  first Republic such
as Lamin Darboe. We have always explained that section 82 of  the constitution
has empowered the president to appoint three persons to  constitute a
committee along with the Attorney General to advise him on how to  exercise his
prerogative of mercy to free many prisoners from long detention.  Under a genuine
democratic society, once the press mention some of these things,  the President
would immediately constitute the committee and grant amnesty or  mercy as
expected. Is that the case in the Gambia? We give an  answer.
However, what we can say is that after 12 years of  rule, one expected that
President Jammeh will commemorate his July  22nd coup d’etat with a difference.
We expected that he will promote  a spirit of reconciliation; that as he goes
into election, general amnesty would  have been given to many, prerogative of
mercy exercised to release many  prisoners.
Furthermore, the Attorney general and Chief  Justice could have co-operated
to look into the cases of those who are denied  speedy trial. If this happened
during the 22nd July anniversary some  people may have felt a difference even
though coup d’etat should never be  commemorated in a 21st Century Africa. The
July 22nd  anniversary is now history; no prerogative of mercy was
exercised.
During the opening prayers, one expected the  religions leaders to remind the
President of those things he needs to do to  promote liberty and tranquility
in the country.
Unfortunately some of them were taking a partisan  position. This will not
help the country. Religious leaders have multi partisan  following. Their
legitimate role is to give the people who administer the  country and their
opponents the heart to feel the suffering of the people and  encourage them to become
resolved in doing what is good. It is not enough for us  to talk about peace,
we must nurture it will our words and deeds. Hence as the  President
commemorates his 12 years in office, he could have only made a little  difference if he
gave general amnesty, visit the prisons to see the number of  young people
behind bars, soften his heart, exercise prerogative of mercy and  promote the
spirit  of  reconciliation rather than the spirit  of revenge. Even though the
July 22nd anniversary was his best  outlet it is not, too late to display a
spirit of  reconciliation.
THE CASE OF PA SALLAH JENG
By Surakata Danso
Continuing his evidence  in the on going six count criminal trial of the
elected Mayor of Banjul, the  former CEO who is currently on indefinite leave,
informed the court that it is a  normal practice in the BCC for the Mayor, CEO
and the Treasurer, to meet and  discuss matters affecting the day to day affairs
of the council. He indicated  that the Mayor, Mr. Jeng, showed them photos of
a towing ambulance and a truck,  which were second hand materials. He
indicated further that the Mayor told them  that they were ordered by a friend, one
Mr Ndure, for the council. He opined  that he reminded him of the council’s
request for a brand new “pickup” but that  he advised him to take the matter to
the council. He said that two weeks later  the Mayor came back to him with the
shipping in documents of the vehicles and  then ordered for council to
endorse it. He said he then ordered him to apply for  a duty waiver from the
Ministry and an approval from the GPPA. Mr. Othman went  on to say that after two
weeks the mayor wrote a follow up letter to his  previous letter to GPPA. He said
the Mayor then requested him to make an advance  part payment of D340, 000
which he said he did. He went on to say that up to the  time he proceeded on
leave, the request for the duty waiver was not addressed.  On the application for
approval from the GPPA, he said he was replied to and  advised to buy from
the local market. When further asked if the council approved  the part payment,
the witness replied in the negative. He also went on to  identify the cheque
for the payment, with the shipping documents and all other  correspondence
attached. They were tendered and exhibited.
On how council addresses  the issue of per diem Mr Othman said when
invitations are received for officials  to travel, they first proceed to seek approval
from the Ministry after which  they prepare the per diems. When asked the
amounts, he said $130 for the Mayor  and $90 for all other officials. He said that
it is the procedure he found at  the council. He explained that it was the
same $130, which was paid to all other  Mayors.  When asked if he knows  whether
the accused had been receiving $130, the witness said he would not know
since payments are done at the Council’s Finance Unit.  On whether per diem paid
to the  officials are returned when trips are cancelled, he answered that there
was a  trip cancelled to Guinea Bissau in which the accused, Mr. Jeng,
returned his per  diem. On the issue of the generator that was in use at the council
during his  time, Mr Othman said the Mayor had informed him that it was
borrowed from a  friend. He indicated that the council was just fueling it up to
the time he  left.  However, he could not say who  the friend was.  The case was
 adjourned till today, 24th July, 2006.
Halifa On Hamat’s  Comments
In this  edition we continue with the interview with Halifa Sallah, NADD’s
flag bearer,  on comments made in the United States by Mr Hamat Bah of the
UDP/NRP  Alliance.
FOROYAA: Why the  need for Confidentiality when your own supporters were
demanding to know what  was going on in the midst of the widespread notion that an
agreement has been  reached
HALIFA: It is  true that many NADD supporters at home and abroad felt
disarmed. They contacted  me to ask about developments and I could not explain
anything to them. The  reason for this is simple. None of the sides requested for
the talks.  Interlocutors having sympathy for either side respectively
intervened in good  faith to promote Consultation between Mr. Darboe and myself without
any  conditionality or agenda. We had the option to chat and depart or create
an  agenda for further consultation. The only request made by the inter
locator from  the other side is confidentiality. I had to respect that wish and
requested for  a mandate from the NADD Executive to enter into talks without
having to report  to them until something conclusive is reached. I respected the
request for  confidentiality because of the fact that this was the first
opportunity to build  trust between the two sides. I am sure all keen observers of
Gambian polities  would notice that during the period of the talks no
derogatory remarks against  the UDP/NRP Alliance and its leaders could be attributed to
the NADD  leadership.
FOROYAA: What axe  do you have to grind with Mr. Hamat Bah?
HALIFA: I have  no axe to grind with Mr. Bah. He simply put me in a tight
corner and compelled  me to explain what was happening to every one and thus
nullified the very  confidentiality sought by the other side for the two sides to
engage in a  consultation exercise.
FOROYAA: How?
HALIFA: Mr.  Hamat Bah said that there were people in NADD who wanted to use
others as their  ladder, some who never launched their parties some whose
party never had a  single meeting and others who had been in politics for 20 years
but never got  more than 2% of the votes. He then went on to state that these
are the people  who wanted equal share with those who had 36% and 8%. He was
emphatic in saying  that this was not possible. He said that they (UDP and
NRP) made a serious  mistake in accepting the principle of sovereign equality of
parties in NADD. He  emphasized that they should not have accepted equal
representation, noting that  it was this mistake that led to the fall out of NADD
Mr. Bah  then went further to deal a blow on our consultative process by
asserting that  he will not disclose the discussions going on at the moment
between the two  alliances that we will agree on a flag bearer. He added that what
complicated  the negotiation is that NADD wanted positions; they wanted the
cake that is not  yet baked. He concluded that they are not going to make any
agreement as to who  will occupy which position. The president will do that. This
is what Mr. Bah  said in the U.S.
FOROYAA: What do  you have to say?
HALIFA: Mr.  Bah’s claim that negotiations were on between the two alliances
could only be  attributed to two things. He was either referring to my talks
with Mr. Darboe  which had nothing to do with the sharing of positions or that
he was referring  to negotiation that did not exist. In either case the
statements were at least  inaccurate and at best misleading. The people in the
Diaspora still have access  to Mr. Bah. Could he be asked to explain which talks
were on where NADD was  asking for position? I repeat NO such talks are taking
place. My consultative  exercise with Mr. Darboe had no agenda. Nothing about
position was discussed. It  was also being done under a climate of perfect
equality. This is the first  point.
FOROYAA: Would  NADD agree to the view that treating all parties as equals
led to the fall out  of NADD?
HALIFA: That is  the second misleading notion that Mr. Bah sold in the U.S.
Of course if one  relies on common sense logic what he said would appear to be
true. However if  one analyses the reality one would consider his state to be
unfortunate since  others would also exercise their right to reply.
FOROYAA: What do  you mean?
HALIFA: First  and foremost, an alliance is not a ladder for just one party
but for all parties  constituting it. He can be equally accused of using an
alliance as a ladder.  Such negative way of looking at things will not take us
anywhere. Secondly if  flag bearers of alliances are determined by records of
previous election then  Mr. Darboe would have never been the presidential
candidate in 1996. Prior to  that he never participated as a candidate in elections.
Thirdly,  the leader of one of the parties he mentioned had won an election
as an  independent candidate during the first Republic and was unseated only by
a coup  d’etat.
Suffice  it to say that the PDOIS that he was trying to trivialise by
referring to 2% had  put up five candidates in the 2002 parliamentary elections and
earned two seats  while having over 20% in all the other three constituencies
while NRP put up 15  candidates only to earn one seat, which he Mr. Bah had
lost in a by election. It  is therefore difficult for me to understand Mr. Bah’s
logic. What he has  conveyed is that there in no spirit of negotiation in the
UDP/NRP camp and that  they are coming up with a sprit of imposing their will.
This is at least haughty  in approach to negotiation, which can never
succeed.
FOROYAA: Mr Bah  said that the policy of treating parties as equals was a
mistake. What is your  view on this?
HALIFA: It is  unfortunate that I am being dragged into such a discussion at
the moment when we  should be engaged in the process of dislodging the APRC
regime. Leadership  requires hindsight. Let me ask every Gambian this simple
question. When we met  in the US after delivering our speeches in Atlanta in 2003
and were asked  whether any party could dislodge the APRC why didn’t the UDP
assert then that it  had the potential to do so and simply called on the other
political parties to  give it solidarity? Of course, if this was said there
would not have been any  need to select a Coordinator. The UDP would have been
asked to send envoys to  the various political parties to seek their support
.The parties, which felt  that UDP could lead them to victory, would have
joined  them.
In  retrospect, when we met in the US the UDP had boycotted the parliamentary
 elections and had no seat in the National Assembly. NRP had lost one seat
and  had only one seat. Only PDOIS had two parliamentary seats. The case of the
UDP  leader was still in court. There was immense hostility in the camp of the
 opposition.
In my  view, the parties were right to state at the time that none of them
could  present itself as the leader of the fold. No party could take the posture
of  being superior to the other to the point of playing a big brother role on
the  basis of its individual strength and credibility.
I am one  hundred percent sure that if the UDP had taken the posture that Mr
Bah is asking  it to take now when we first met, all the representatives of
the other parties  would have left the hall to go about their business. I stand
to be  corrected.
We  therefore created NADD as an umbrella party to create unity in the midst
of  diversity among the opposition parties because no single party had the
strength  and credibility to serve as a rallying ground for other parties. This
is the  simple and elementary truth. This umbrella party was designed to
address the  individual weaknesses of the member parties and further galvanize their
 collective strength and integrity.
In order  to ensure that the equality of the parties is reserved as a
tactical instrument  to consolidate the strength of the opposition in order to ensure
victory the  existence of NADD was limited to five years after the assumption
of office by  the flag bearer. During the five years all political parties
will be able to  retain their individual political support and still claim
ownership of their  collective achievements under NADD. The restriction of the
mandate of the flag  bearer to one term was to eradicate the advantages of
incumbency so that any  political leader who failed to contest in 2006 would have
equal opportunity to  seek the mandate of the people in the next following
election by relying on a  party’s numerical strength. The principle of creating an
umbrella party under  which collective leadership is exercised was designed not
only to harness the  numerical strength of the parties but to build up the
potential to harness  voters who are either non committed to individual parties
or are supporters of  the ruling party. The collective leadership also serve
as an insurance against  any allegation of tribalism or sectionalism. Equality
and collective leadership  in NADD offered each voter the personality one
could love and trust to justify  one’s trust for the opposition.
Herein  lies the viability of NADD. Mr Bah says this was a mistake what he is
offering  is imposition of dominance by the UDP. Clearly his proposition
would not have  created unity among the opposition from the very  beginning.
FOROYAA: But has  an alliance like NADD ever happened?
HALIFA: NADD is  a united front. In some cases countries are fortunate to
have an opposition  party, which is capable of winning an election on the basis
of its own numerical  strength, but can better do so by co-opting other
opposition parties in an  alliance, which it leads. On the other hand, countries may
be faced with a  situation where the people are not sentimental about parties
and are very  willing to put party affiliation aside to form a united front to
achieve an aim.
A clear  example of this is Gambia in 1996 and 2001 when the UDP operated as
an umbrella  party for the parties which were banned. I have also pointed out
the cases of  Tumani Toure and in Mali and even Nino Vieira in Guinea Bissau,
where the people  disregarded both the ruling party and the opposition. NADD
could have been  another example.
FOROYAA: What is  the way forward?
HALIFA: I have  said that people are calling for an alliance. We should
explain what the two  alliances are offering the people and ask them to make their
choice as to which  form of alliance should be the basis of unity. As far as I
am concerned, I have  made it clear that I have accepted to be flag bearer
because of my conviction  that I could be accepted by all political
constituencies in The Gambia. However,  I am also willing to hand over to anyone who can
be better promoted among all  political constituencies in the country.
FOROYAA: Some are  asking why you accepted to be flag bearer.
HALIFA: Let me  also ask why did, I accept to be Coordinator when I was
Secretary General of  PDOIS?  It is duty that called and I  had to answer. I would
like to remind people that I did not apply to be a  Coordinator nor did I want
to be one. When I appeared in Atlanta I was the  Minority Leader of the
National Assembly of The Gambia and I accepted to be  Coordinator not to become an
apolitical civil servant but to facilitate a  process. My mandate ended with
the signing of the MOU. However all the parties  agreed to elect me as
Coordinator again? That is trust.
Needless  to say, I did not apply to be flag bearer. Just I was unanimously
selected as  Coordinator I was again unanimously selected as flag bearer of
NADD. I accepted  because duty called on me to do so. If duty again calls on me
to hand over the  responsibility to someone who can better lead us to success I
am again willing  to do so. I am willing to do whatever duty is imposed on
me.
FOROYAA: Mr Bah  alluded to a party, which for twenty years could only get
two percent of the  votes.
HALIFA: I am the  flag bearer of NADD. Since NRP and UDP cam into being I
stood in three  elections. In 1997 I stood with a UDP candidate in Serrekunda
East. I had 8500  votes. He had 8000 votes. The APRC candidate had 9500 votes.
This is not what is  called 2% of the votes. In 2002 those who boycotted
elections campaigned against  me but I won. In 2005 I stood for NADD and won. The
picture Mr Bah has been  insinuating regarding the flag bearer has no affinity to
what is on the ground.  This is the chapter and verse of the whole story.
FOROYAA: What is  NADD doing at the moment?
HALIFA: We are  not convinced that a one party led alliance can be promoted
successfully. Hence  Sidia and his team are in the URD; Waa and his team have
covered LRD and they  are now in CRD and will come down to Baddibu. Landing
Jallow Sonko and his team  will cover Nuimi, Jokadu and CRD North. As flag bearer
we will engage in  debriefing when they come back to know the way forward.
FOROYAA: You must  have a lot of money.
HALIFA: That is  what we do not have. We have changed our strategy. We used
to rely on  established organisations like Movement for the Restoration of
Democracy in the  Gambia in UK or Save The Gambia Democracy Project in the USA.
Now we have opened  up new strategies to receive solidarity from any individual
Gambian who wishes  to give cash or kind. Our partners can continue to do
their best while we  explore new avenues for funding. We need paper, ink,
cassettes, T-shirts, caps,  etc. The response is encouraging. We can only be as
effective as Gambians want  us to be.
FOROYAA: Any last  words?
HALIFA: I hear  some people saying that if the opposition is not united they
will not provide  funds or vote. My view is that whether one casts one’s vote
or not others will  vote for the APRC. What Gambians should do is to give
their maximum, be ready to  vote and then encourage the opposition to be united.
The  hands-off policy is a fatalist policy. It will only lead to the
retention of the  status quo. In our view people should insist that the two alliances
come  together. However if that fails people must learn to judge where the
fault lies.  I can assure every one that I will be able to explain my point of
view with  clarity and history will never indict me for not taking the right
decision at  the right time to defeat impunity and poverty which are dual factors
that fetter  the liberty and prosperity of the Gambian people.
MARIAM DENTON’S APPLICATION
By  Surakata Danso
In the  last issue we published the case of Mariam Denton as presented by
Lawyer Ida  Drammeh. In this issue we publish the case of the state as presented
by the  Acting Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) Emmanuel Fagbenleh, on
the 19th  July 2006.  He attempted to justify  the continued detention of Mariam
Denton.  He informed the court that the respondent had filed an application
in  opposition to the one filed by the applicant, (Mrs. Denton) on the  10th of
July,  2006. He further informed the court that the affidavit is sworn to by
one Demba  Sowe who he claimed, is an officer at the Serious Crimes Unit of
The Gambia  Police Force. The Ag. DPP added that the said Demba Sowe is a member
of the team  that is in charge of investigating the applicant’s case, noting
that  investigations are in progress. He therefore warned that releasing the
applicant  will affect the progress of the investigation. In moving further
with his  submission, he told the court that it is improper to say that the
arrest of the  applicant is unlawful. He cited the Acts, which established the
Police, the Army  and the NIA and opined that the laws give the security personnel
power to arrest  and investigate anyone on anything. He went further to say
that because of the  nature of the issues surrounding the 21st of March  2006
foiled coup, anybody suspected to have connection to the event is liable to
arrest going by section 6(2) of the constitution. He then questioned how such an
 arrest could be termed unlawful especially when the course of arrest is
giving  as under Section 6 of the constitution along side Sections 23,26 35 (1)
(A) and  36 of the Criminal Procedure Code (CPC). He argued that those in charge
of the  investigation are equally empowered by law to release an arrestee
unconditionally when they are satisfied that the arrestee is not involved. The
Ag. DPP at this point cited section 99 of the CPC as amended, and indicated
that  the Police have no right to either grant her bail or release  her.
To  buttress his points, the Ag. DPP further stressed that it is not only the
 applicant who has been arrested and detained. He cited exhibits MD3 and MD4,
 which are all lists of arrestees and said they are neither granted bail nor
released. He was however quick to say that even though the applicant’s,
(Mariam  Denton’s) name does not exist on neither of the lists, she was a suspect.
On the  issue of the applicant relying on section 19 of the constitution, Mr.
Fagbenleh  said the court needs to look into the interpretation of section 19
sub-sections  (3), (4), (5), section17 (2), and section (6) of the
constitution against  section 99 of the (CPC). He further cited section 37 of the
constitution and  called on the court to transfer the case to the Supreme Court for
interpretation  of Sections 6, and17 (2) of the constitution in line with the
relevant section  of the CPC. He finally asked the court to refuse the orders
in the application,  after stating that the laws cited by Madam Ida Drammeh are
irrelevant. Ida  Drammeh is of the view that the high court has powers to
deal with the  application filed by Miriam Denton.  Madam Drammeh made this
statement when responding to the submissions made  by the learned Director of
public prosecutions, Emmanuel  Fagbenleh.
Madam  Drammeh told the court that the case falls within the provisions of
the  constitution, which deals with fundamental rights. She said the high court
has  exclusive jurisdiction to hear the matter.
Judgment  will be delivered today. Responding to the submissions
HIGH VOLTAGE  ALLEGEDLY CAUSES FIRE
By Modou Jonga
A fire accident alleged  to have been caused by high voltage has on Wednesday
12th July 2006 around 1:00  am, burnt six Canteens (shops/ stores) at the
Brikama Market, belonging to  different individuals.
According to a victim  Alieu Ndow, he has lost Commodities valued at over
forty thousand (D40,000)  dalasis. Expressing their ordeal, Alhagie Ceesay and
Saikou Saidy said they have  lost all their sewing machines and cloths belonging
to their customers amounting  to twenty-five thousand dalasis.
Buto Sowe, also a victim of the fire  incident, said he cannot estimate the
extent of the damage the fire has caused  him, but informed this reporter that
it is tremendous.
AU COMMISSION CHAIRPERSON ADDRESSES SUMMIT
We  publish below the Address of H.E Alpha Oumar Konare, Chairman of the
African  Union on the occasion of the opening of the seventh Ordinary session of
Member  States of the African Union in Banjul from 1st to  2nd July,  2006.
Excellency  the Current Chairperson of the African Union,
Your  Majesty,
Brother  Leader,
Excellences,  Heads of State and Government,
Excellence  the President of Trinidad and Tobago and Chairman of  Caricom,
Excellency,  the Secretary General of the United Nations,
Honourable  Madam the Speaker of the Pan-African Parliament,
Excellency,  Madam Chairperson of the Economic, Social and Cultural
Commission
Excellency,  Madam Chairperson of the African Commission on Human and  Peoples
’
Rights,
Distinguished  Guests, Excellencies, Ladies and Gentlemen,
The  terrible, tragic, shocking, appalling and, yet, real images of thousands
of  African Youth assailing European coasts present us with a challenge and
compel  us to focus our attention on this issue.
These  images illustrate the despair driving the Youth of Africa. They
reflect the  determination of our youth to reject the status quo and their will to
fight  on.
We should  be careful; these violent images are harbingers of violence.
Indeed, the  situation is fraught with all manner of violence.
It  challenges us to combat the structural causes of poverty, to implement
programmes to create wealth and promote employment as recommended by the
Extraordinary Summit on Employment and Poverty Reduction which was held in
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, in September 2004; a Summit consistent with the hopes  and
expectations of our youth; a Summit held in fulfilment of the promises we
have made to our youth.
Excellencies,  Ladies and Gentlemen,
The  images we have described further challenge us to engage in a genuine
debate with  the host countries, an open and frank debate without pre-conditions;
a debate  unmistakably anchored not only on the imperatives of security, but
also, and  above all, on our vital need for solidarity and  development.
But, of  what use is this call to debate when each country engages in
unilateral action  before anything else? We the African countries of origin and
transit countries,  have to be more coherent and more logical in our approach by
applying to  ourselves what we cannot accept from others. We must not accept the
logic  imposed by selective immigration, which will irretrievably result in “
brain  drain”, another pillaging of our countries.
These  images, Excellencies, Ladies and Gentlemen, further challenge us to,
all said  and done, implement our decisions on the free movement of persons,
goods and  services, so that at the end of the day, an African will no longer be
considered  a stranger in Africa or in any African country.
Mr.  Chairperson,
Your  Majesty,
Brother  Leader,
Excellencies,  Ladies and Gentlemen,
Our  nationals, students, sports men and women, artists, workers, tourists,
and even  our diplomats have been victims of escalating racist attacks. This is
 disconcerting and unacceptable.
We hereby  solemnly appeal to all the countries and all sporting associations
concerned to  take energetic measures to curb these undignified behaviours.
The treatment  meted out to Africans abroad should serve as a tool for us to
assess the quality  of our bilateral relations. No one should claim to be a
friend of Africa while  at the same time maltreating African citizens.
Your  Excellencies Presidents,
Your  Majesty,
Brother  leader,
Your  Excellencies,
Ladies  and gentlemen,
This  whole situation should also serve to refresh our memories:
Refresh  our memories so that the truth about historical events, particularly
colonial  events can be told;
- Refresh  our memories so that the crimes of colonialism will be recognized
as one of the  imperatives of the New Partnership, just as, slavery was
recognized as a crime  against humanity;
- We  should indeed refresh our memories so that our educational and
communication  programmes may occupy the place they deserve in our common prehistory,
our  history of slavery, our history of national liberation struggle, and our
history  of Pan-Africanism. Our programmes should also incorporate shared
modules of  Civic Education, Environmental Education, and Health Education among
others.
Finally,  we should refresh our memories so as to truly and genuinely
celebrate 25 May:  Africa Day. 9 September: African Union Day, 1 August: Emancipation
Day, and  7
April:  Commemoration of the Rwanda Genocide. This is to ensure that those
sad events  are not trivialized and the lessons of yesterday will help us to
avoid  recurrence of these events in the future.
Mr.  Chairperson,
Your  Majesty,
Brother  Leader,
Your  Excellencies,
Ladies  and Gentlemen,
Clearly,  the conflict situation in our continent is largely responsible for
its  backwardness or for the poverty of our people.
Today, we  are compelled more than ever before to take urgent and resolute
action to  address the situation in Darfur-Sudan and in Somalia.
With  regard to Darfur, the Abuja Agreement (for which we commend the
signatories,  notably the Government of Sudan and the SLM, and all our partners)
should be  implemented without delay.
We have  to provide ourselves the means while counting on the support of our
partners,  particularly the United Nations. We also have to do everything to
improve  relations between Chad and Sudan. The improvement in the situation in
Darfur  largely depends on stability in Chad. In this respect, we should do
everything  in our power as a matter of urgency to implement the Tripoli
Agreements.
In  Somalia we should waste no time to massively support the transitional
Government; to encourage dialogue with the Islamic Movements and all other
Somalis, based on our principles of tolerance, justice, respect for freedom,
respect for human rights and non-violence.
With  regard to the Somali dossier, our organization needs to work in
cooperation with  GAD and the League of Arab States.
Mr.  Chairperson,
Your  Majesty,
Brother  Leader,
Your  Excellency,
Ladies  and Gentlemen,
I believe  we also have to lend support to the on-going initiatives in Côte d’
Ivoire  alongside the President of the Republic and the Prime Minister, not
forgetting  the entire political leadership.
We should  also support the electoral process in the DRC to prevent the
country from  becoming mired in a protracted and serious crisis by calling upon all
the  stakeholders to show a greater sense of compromise, considering the
situation in  the country.
Mr.  Chairperson,
Your  Majesty,
Brother  Leader,
Excellencies,  Ladies and Gentlemen,
Conflicts  in our Continent lead us to a number of issues:
1. The  first is the urgent need to exercise our right to use the principle
of non  indifference” for timely intervention, to prevent conflicts (we can
anticipate  all the conflicts in Africa and we end up enduring them!). We should
differentiate between African Forces and international  forces.
2. The  second is the need to accurately evaluate our peace and security
keeping  capacities, namely, our material, financial and human  resources.
We should  expedite the establishment of regional brigades as part of the
Standby Forces so  as to have real integrated African Forces required by the
nature of today’s  conflicts, timely and expeditiously.
We call  on all States to adhere to the Convention Establishing the Peace and
 Security
Council  and support the African Centre for the Study and Research on
Terrorism  in
Algiers.
3. The  third is the need to monitor and support countries in the aftermath
of  conflicts. We welcome the take-off of the activities of the United Nations
Commission responsible for countries in post-conflict  situations.
4. The  fourth is to resolve, through dialogue, any disputes between
countries, so  that no act of aggression is committed by one African country against
another  African country.
Mr.  Chairperson,
Your  Majesty,
Brother  Leader,
Excellencies,  Ladies and Gentlemen,
Many of  these issues could be conveniently resolved once you have exhausted
the central  themes of this Assembly, namely, the relationship between the
government of the  Union and the harmonization and rationalization of Regional
Economic  Communities. The two issues are intrinsically linked.
The issue  of the management of RECs can only be appropriately addressed
within the  framework of the Union’s strategy.
In 2005.  in Abuja and in Sirte, you clearly indicated that the objective of
the African  Union is to move towards the United States of Africa, although of
course,  gradually, through phases which are yet to be defined.
It is  essential that we reach a consensus or common understanding of these
issues in  order to transcend the long-standing debate on the AU as an
International  Cooperation Organ, and the AU as a Regional Integration Organ, and also
the  other debate on the need for a Secretariat or a real executive to
coordinate the  African Union.
Our  structures, many of our comportments and some of our decisions would
then need  to be adjusted. We can only establish an integration organization if
the  principle of areas of sovereignty to be conceded and areas to be shared is
 accepted.
The  current Regional Economic Communities are more market-oriented than
integration-oriented, although integration provides the only possible spaces for
equitable and sustainable development.
Owing to  their proliferation, their inconsistency with geographical
criteria, the  overlapping they create or even the cacophony of geographical criteria,
they are  neither in keeping with the spirit of the Lagos Plan of Action nor
that of the  Abuja Treaty, now reinforced and superseded since Sirte 1999 by
the Constitutive  Act of our Organization.
It is  essential that integration spaces should be defined at regional level
where it  could be possible to transfer sovereignty. These spaces should be
managed by  clear rules, for it should be impossible in this case that one
country belongs  to several integration communities, although it could be accepted
that one  country belongs to several customs unions, commercial unions and
economic  unions.
In this  case, the Secretariats of Regional Communities should develop
towards Executive  Commissions.
Mr.  Chairperson,
Your  Majesty,
Brother  Leader,
Excellencies,  Ladies arid Gentlemen,
In the  event that we are unable to find a proper definition for the Regional
 Integration Communities, which presupposes transfer of sovereignty and that
we  have to continue with the RECs and the existing Unions, should we not then
admit  that the transfer of sovereignty should be done at the continental
level?
These  debates are not superfluous. They must nurture our action and give
more  coherence to our instruments. They will also enable us to better determine
a  proper place for NEPAD a major, innovative and promising project, which
enables  us to assume our responsibility.
Mr.  Chairperson,
Your  Majesty,
Brother  Leader,
Excellencies,
Ladies  and Gentlemen,
As you  did in Sirte in 1999, in Lorne in 2000, in Lusaka in 2001, in Durban
in 2002, in  Maputo in 2003, in Addis Ababa in 2004, in Abuja and Sirte in
2005, I have no  doubt that here in Banjul, on the banks of The Gambia River, you
will give a  fresh impetus to our Organization, a new direction, indeed the
appropriate  direction to the African Union
The Union  will be our salvation if firmly anchored on Africanism, that is,
Negritude and  Arabism, foundations of the African Union.
The  African Renaissance will be the sure guarantee for Africa’s future, when
we  resolutely embark on the battle to build the African Nation, our only
true  Nation, the basis of the United States of Africa.
Mr.  Chairperson,
Your  Majesty,
Brother  Leader,
Excellencies,
Ladies  and Gentlemen,
I have no  doubt that you will ensure that our Organization is an
Organization in which the  rule of law prevails. Indeed, too many protocols and
conventions are adopted but  have yet to be ratified and signed. These include:
- The  Non-Aggression and Common Defence Pact adopted in Abuja on 31 January
2005 and  ratified so far, by only two countries;
- The  Additional Protocol to the Convention on the Prevention and Combating
of  Terrorism adopted in Addis Ababa on 2 July 2004 and ratified by only one
country;
- The  Protocol on the Amendments to the Constitutive Act of the African
Union adopted  n Maputo on 11 July 2003 and ratified by only 11  countries;
- The  African Convention on Preventing and Combating Corruption adopted in
Maputo on  11 July 2003 and ratified by only 14 countries;
- The  Additional Protocol to the African Charter and Human and Peoples’
Rights  relating to the rights of women in Africa adopted in Maputo on 11 July
2003 and  which entered into force on 25 November 2005. To date, only 15
countries have  signed this Protocol;
- The  Convention on the Establishment of the African Energy Commission
adopted on 11  July 2001 in Lusaka, Zambia, and ratified by only 12  countries:
- The  Pelindaba Treaty declaring Africa a Nuclear-Weapon-Free Zone adopted
in July  2005, in Cairo, Egypt, and ratified by 20 countries. For the treaty to
become  effective, however, 26 countries have to ratify it;
- The  Protocol on the Pan-African Parliament, adopted in Sirte, Libya, on 2
March  2001, entered into force on 14 December 2003. Seven countries are yet
to ratify  this Protocol;
- The  Protocol on the Establishment of the African Court on Human and Peoples
’ Rights  adopted in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, on 9 June 1998, came into
effect on 25  January 2004. To date, only 23 countries have ratified this
Protocol;
- The  Protocol on the Establishment of the Peace and Security Council of the
African  Union adopted on 9 July 2002, in Durban, South Africa, entered into
force on 26  December 2003. 12 countries are yet to ratify this  Protocol;
- The OAU  Convention on the Prevention and Combating of Terrorism adopted on
14 July 1999,  in Algiers, entered into force on 8 December 2002. 17
countries are yet to  ratify the Convention;
- The  Convention on the establishment of the African Centre for Fertilizers
Development, adopted on February 1981, ratified by only 3 countries and
signed  by 27 countries.
On  another note, Excellencies, Ladies and Gentlemen, we deem it expedient to
sound  an urgent appeal for the unreserved and full implementation of the
Yamoussoukro  Declaration of November 1999. The decision relating to the
Yamoussoukro  Declaration of 1988, adopted by the Lome Summit of July 2000, is deemed
to have  entered into force as of August 2002 in all State parties without
exception.
This  liberalization of African States in the interest of African airlines
has proven  to be the perfect solution for enhancing services within the
continent,  promoting competition, uplifting the quality of resources and reducing
air fares  among countries.
It is  equally important that African countries adhere to and ratify without
delay the  International Convention on the Protection and Promotion of
Diversity in  Cultural Expressions.
Excellencies,
Ladies  and Gentlemen,
I have no  doubt in my mind that you will afford the Organization additional
resources to  implement programmes geared towards achieving true integration
and greater  commitment to our common positions.
Many  countries are yet to pay up their contributions. Only 12 countries have
paid  their 2006 contributions, while 11 others are still under sanctions.
Unfortunately, the arrears of contributions are still quite significant;
amounting to US$ 93189,331.27 (this figure includes US$53,615,294.39 arrears as
the 31 December and outstanding statutory contributions of US$39, 574, 31688 for
 the period under review).
Excellencies,  Ladies and Gentlemen,
The  preparation of African Common positions is of vital importance if we do
not want  to miss the opportunity to develop genuine strategic development
partnerships  during the major rendezvous that were announced, if we want to
ensure that our  countries do not become mere markets or only a reservoir of raw
materials.
Among  these rendezvous, mention can be made of:
- The  Non-Aligned Summit in Havana, Cuba, from 15 to 16 September  2006;
- The  China/Africa Forum in Beijing from 4 to 5 November 2006;
- The  African/South American Summit in Abuja, Nigeria, from 30 November to I
December  2006;
- The  Africa/Caribbean Meeting in South Africa in 2007.
The  India/Africa Summit, the 2 Afro-Arab Summit and the 2 Africa /EU Summit
should  be envisaged; it seems to us, in 2007.
Excellencies,  Ladies and Gentlemen;
I have no  doubt that you will leave no stone unturned to strengthen the
popular basis of  the African Union, to help project African public opinion,
ensure respect for  our freedom especially the freedom, of expression, particularly
this year when  we celebrate the 25th  Anniversary of the African Charter on
Human and Peoples’ Rights, to give our  civil society and our women their
rightful place. Already only 19 countries have  ratified the Additional Protocol
on the Rights of Women in Africa. Women are  still under- represented in
numerous sectors. The Policy Organs of the Regional  Economic Communities (RECs)
should adopt gender parity, as we have done in the  African Union Commission.
Our  official delegations, even those attending our Summit, do not yet
provide enough  places for women.
Mr.  Chairperson,
Your  Majesty,
Brother  Leader,
Excellencies,  Ladies and Gentlemen
For that  which concerns us, I have no doubt that together we will ensure
that those who  will be serving our organization as workers of the African Union
and the RECs,  Ambassadors in the PRC, Ministers in the Executive Council act
as real  Pan-Africanists driven by true Pan-African nationalism rather than by
 micro-nationalism or national- regionalism that is currently developing as
evidenced in the deliberations and attitudes; national-regionalism being a
dangerous and harmful trend.
We must  amend all rules that would make the workers of the African Union
feel they are  serving their countries instead of the Union. Service of regional
organizations  must be executed by true Pan-Africanists.
I am  convinced that the desired reforms, transformations to be made
especially at the  level of the Commission, the Parliament, among others, and lastly
the  functioning of Ministerial Technical Committees and the establishment of
financial institutions will improve the quality of work and will help us
achieve  the on-going indispensable institutional transformation and rapidly put in
place  a culture of good governance.
Excellencies,  Ladies and Gentlemen,
Unless  this transformation is realized, our organization will continue to
resist change  and will remain a body incapable of taking timely action,
incapable of telling  its members the truth or just simply telling the truth and
taking real and  effective action on African realities.
AMBULANCE PROBLEM AT  BANJULUNDING HEALTH CENTRE
By Sarjo Camara Singhateh
An old aged man (name  withheld) stormed into the offices of FOROYAA
newspaper to express the  unpleasant attitude meted out on him by the staff of
Banjulunding Health Centre,  on Saturday 8th July  2006.
According to the  aggrieved man, during the early hours of Saturday morning,
between the hours of  7 and 8 am, he took his pregnant wife to the said Health
Centre. He said that  upon arrival, he was told  by the  medical officer that
his wife was to be referred for delivery to the Royal  Victoria Teaching
Hospital in Banjul.  He stated that he told the medical officer on duty to help
them with an  ambulance, but the medical officer said there was no ambulance,
which resulted  in a bitter quarrel between them.  He said he told the officer
that he had seen two ambulances parked at the  health centre.
The man stated that he  had to appeal to another man for assistance to take
his wife to Banjul.  He said that he bought D350 worth of  fuel for the man’s
vehicle.
When FOROYAA  contacted the officer in charge at the Banjulunding Health
Centre to shed light  on this allegation, he said he was never informed of it.  He
said the two ambulances that were  there were donated to the Health Centre by
a Philanthropist, but they were still  not road worthy.  He stated that the
only ambulance that was available was the official ambulance, which requires
fuel because the vehicle receives only 40 litres of fuel supply per  week.
Issue No.  57/2006, 26- 27 July, 2006
Editorial
THE IEC AND THE REGISTRATION OF  VOTERS
The 2006 supplementary  registration of voters constitutes the greatest
disservice to the sovereign  Gambian people.  The Independent  Electoral Commission
has as its motto “fairplay, integrity and  transparency.”  Displaying
fairplay  simply means that the IEC will not afford different treatment to different
 persons attributable wholly or mainly to their political  allegiances.
Display of integrity  means that the commission and staff shall perform their
duties without fear or  favour, affection or ill will.
Transparency means that  no restriction shall be placed to access information
in order to ensure that the  undiluted choice of the Gambian people is
produced during  elections.
On the 5th of June the IEC wrote to  the political parties to indicate that
supplementary registration of voters will  take place for a period of two weeks
commencing 19th June and run up to  2nd  July.
The IEC needed to  sensitize the Gambian people to know what the requirements
for registration  were.  They should have made it  clear that political
parties are not responsible for giving attestations and had  no business in
establishing tables and mobilising village heads or community  members to sign
attestation forms for Tom, Dick and Harry.
Two weeks notice was too  short for campaign to be done to educate the masses
to know how registration of  voters is to be conducted under law.  This lack
of adequate information undermined the spirit of  transparency.  To make
matters worse  the leadership of the IEC informed their personnel not to question
people with  documents.
Consequently, many party  operatives decided to prepare Attestation Forms,
photocopy the samples and  issued them at random.  It even  became a trade for
some as they received from D5 to D25 for the forms.  Many people who were
unqualified to be  registered exploited the loop hole to be registered.
Many Gambians who are  qualified to be registered became late comers.  The
IEC extended the registration of  voters twice.  However the exercise  was just
in name.  In actual fact  many registration centres either did not see the
registration teams or had  teams, which informed the people that their films were
exhausted.  The IEC was allocated 120 million  dalasis in this year’s budget
for electoral purposes.  How can it be short of electoral  materials and still
expect to defend its integrity?  What was more disgusting is the  selective
presence of the registration teams during the extension; for example,  the
registration team was kept in Sinchu Alagie until they finish their work  without
shortage of films because of the influence of one Aziz Tamba.  In Kombo
Central the team abandoned  Kembuje where people were protesting and concentrated on
 Darsilami.
In many places people  joined the queues to no avail.  Many  people have
desire to replace their lost cards.  If films are not available how can the  IEC
be considered to have respect for fairplay?  The commission needs to have a
meeting  with its field staff and the political parties to map out a way to
address their  problems with immediacy.
The faith people have in  the commission has dropped and only genuine and
visible rectification of wrongs  can elevate it.  We hope the  commission will
not be found wanting in this regard.
CAPTAIN BUNJA DARBOE AND CO TREASON  TRIAL
By Surakata Danso
Justice Agim on Monday  deferred the ruling on the treason trial involving
Captain Bunja Darboe, Captain  Yaya Darboe, Alieu Jobe, Lieutenant Pharing
Sanyang, Tamsirr Jasseh and  others.
The trial judge was  supposed to deliver a verdict on whether the case could
proceed in Court without  six of the accused persons being represented by a
legal practitioner.  Justice Agim on Monday informed the  Court that he was
unable to lay his hands on the materials that would enable him  to conclude his
ruling.  Justice  Agim later decided to adjourn the matter.
Readers would recall that  the following lawyers; Lamin Camara, Lamin
Jobarteh, and Lamin Mboge withdrew  from the case.
LAWYER  DENTON RE-ARRESTED/RELEASED
By Surakata Danso
Mrs. Mariam Denton, a  senior member of the bar, was released by the high
court on Monday after  spending 103 days in detention. Many felt this was the end
of her ordeal.  However while she was at her family home in Banjul rumours
were rife that some  of her relatives including her son were arrested. They were
not released until  she (Mrs. Denton) got to the police headquarters where
she was  rearrested.
At the time of going to  press we gathered information that she has been
released from custody by the  security agents.
MARIAM DENTON’S  APPLICATION GRANTED
Justice Monagen has  released Mariam Denton on Monday (the 24th of July
2006).
In handing down judgment  before a crowded Court room, Justice Monagen said
the arrest and detention of  the applicant (Mariam Denton) is unlawful and
unconstitutional, since she was  detained beyond 72 hours.  Justice  Monagen
further indicated that section 19 of the constitution has made it  categorically
clear that when a person is arrested, he or she must be brought  before a Court
of competent jurisdiction within 72 hours of his arrest and  detention.
Going through the  arguments of the plaintiff’s counsel and the response of
the State, Justice  Monagen mentioned that all the competent governments must
abide by International  instruments such as . the Universal Declaration of
Human Rights, The  International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights and the
African  Charter.  She said the aforesaid  instruments are for the protection of
the Liberty of individuals.  She also upheld that the Armed Force  Act, the
NIA Decree and exhibit MD3, and MD4 are not an issue before the  Court.  She
also opined that her  court has jurisdiction to hear the prayers sought by the
applicant (Mariam  Denton), and therefore the issue of referring section 6 of
the constitution to  the Supreme Court does not arise and is not an issue
before the court.  She said sections 23, 26, 35, 36 and 99  of the Criminal
Procedure Code are not issues before the  Court.
Justice Monagen concluded  her ruling by thanking the two sides.  She then
granted the prayers sought by the applicant.  Shortly after the ruling, the
Acting  Director of Public Prosecutions, Emmanuel Fagbenleh, stood up and informed
the  Court that the State has preferred charges against Mariam Denton.  Asked
when the case was filed, Fagbenleh  said, “Today,’’ (the 24th day of July
2006).  He then applied for the charges to be  read to her.
In response, Ida Drammeh  opined that the court must not entertain the
application sought by Fagbenleh,  noting if it is entertained, it will encourage the
flouting of the orders of the  court.  She went on to indicate that
throughout the process of the hearing of the application, the State has not  expressed
its intention to charge the applicant.  The judge however over ruled the
application sought by Emmanuel Fagbenleh.
HALIFA HARPS ON  ACCOUNTABILITY
By Abdoulie Dibba
The Minority Leader of  the National Assembly Hon. Halifa Sallah indicated
that development must speak  the “language of priority”.  Hon  Sallah made
these remarks at the National Assembly.  Hon Sallah indicated that it is
important for NAMs to look at the problems that are related to public  expenditure.
He indicated that people  are complaining that their groundnuts are not
bought, and if one asks the  Executive, they would reply that it is not Government’
s responsibility to  purchase groundnut.  Halifa however  noted that it is the
Government that guaranteed Companies to buy groundnuts from  public monies.
Sallah pointed out  that the executive has taken D345 million from the Social
Security and Housing  Finance Corporation and invested it on a hotel.  He
asserted that they were told by the  Secretary of State for Finance and the
Secretary of State for Agriculture that  Government has been giving guarantee to
companies to be able to purchase  groundnuts.  He pointed out that if  one looks
at the budget estimates of 2006, one would discover under settlement  of
confirmed debt, an amount of D15 million in 2005 and D10 million as debt for
vehicle and D11 million as Trust Bank guarantee.  Halifa challenged his colleagues
to  continue to find out which companies are being guaranteed and who
authorize the  expenditure on vehicle. “You go and take a debt to get a vehicle.” “
Who  authorized these expenditures”? “We need to find out since we are
allocating  public resources for these”.  Regarding Assets Management and Recovery
Corporation (AMRC), Hon Sallah  indicated that it is generating a lot of wealth
from the sale of land, lands  which some people would tell you D25,000 and
others would say D125,000.  He said at the end one won’t know what  is the actual
cost of a particular land “where is all this money going? Where is  it being
strategically invested? Is it not addressing the needs and aspirations  of a
people? Is it not identifying priority? Development must speak the language  of
priority? Is the income of our farmers our priority? If it is our priority,
then where should we put the money? “Hon Sallah asked.  Halifa further
stressed, “my view is  that we have not set our national priorities right and that is
why we cannot pay  the income of our farmers.”
UDP STALWART  REFUTES CLAIM
By Yaya  Dampha
Rumour is  rife in town that Mr. Alhagie Momodou Sanneh, a UDP/NRP executive
member is in  consultations with Secretaries of state Kaba Bajo and Yankuba
Touray for  possible defection to the ruling APRC.
This reporter contacted Mr. Sanneh and  asked him to throw light on the
information. Mr. Sanneh responded by saying that  the rumour is false. He said he
has never met the Secretaries of State, much  more to discuss about joining the
APRC.
He  swaggered that he and his party are ready to unseat the Jammeh government
this  year. Alhagie Sanneh further said that he is just from touring the
whole of the  LRD and that there is no need for him to join the APRC. He described
the APRC  Government as a failed regime. He said the rumour is baseless and
unfounded. Mr.  Sanneh finally called on Gambians to join hands and vote out
Jammeh.
SOS FAYE ON LOCAL LANGUAGE
INSTRUCTIONS IN SCHOOLS
By  Abdoulie Dibba
Responding to a question  raised by Sidia Jatta the National Assembly Member
for Wuli West, regarding the  Governments Policy on the teaching of local
languages in Schools. has been  scientifically proven that a child learns a second
language more quickly and  with much ease after he/ she has been formally
ground in his/ her mother’s  tongue; considering the general declined of
standards in the school in which  English languages the first casualty. SOS Fatou
Lamin Faye indicated that the  Department of state for Education has taken
cognisance of research finding,  indicating that a child learns a second language
more quickly and with much ease  after formal grounding in the mother tongue. In
view of the this, SOS Faye said  that one policy objective is to introduce the
teaching of the five most commonly  used languages- Wollof, Pulaar, Mandinka,
Jola and Sarahule at the basic, senior  secondary, tertiary and higher
education levels as subjects. She said it would  be immensely difficult to teach
every child in his/her mother tongue. She said  the education policy states that
during the first three years of basic Education  (grade1-3), the medium of
instruction will be in the dominant Language of the  area in which the child
lives. English she said will be taught as subjects from  grade 4 SOS Fatou Lamin
Faye Pointed out that she is pleased to report “the  implementations of these
policy pronouncements have already began. She said the  Department of state for
Education has over the past years developed primers and  readers for four
national language; namely Mandinka Pularr Wollof and Jola. She  said the
materials have been piloted in all the educational regions and selected  teachers have
been trained in the pilot school”. SOS Faye went further to say  that plans
are now afoot to finalise the draft materials and train all teachers  in the
use of National Languages as medium of instruction in the early years of
schooling
WHAT IS DEAFNESS
Deafness is being unable  to hear ordinary sounds properly or at all.
There are different  degrees of deafness. Some children can hear quite a lot
of sounds. We say they  have a mild hearing loss. Some children have
difficulty hearing speech sounds  and can only hear effectively with the help of a
hearing aid. We say they have a  moderate hearing loss. Other children hear very
little or nothing at all and are  not helped by a hearing aid. We say they have
a severe or profound hearing  loss.
Hearing impairment is  usually only a problem if the person has difficulty
hearing speech. The main  difficulty for a child who is hearing impaired is
acquiring language. This is  because we learn language by hearing people talking
and by hearing ourselves  trying to talk.
Some hearing impaired  children have damage to other parts of the brain and
deafness may not be their  main problem. However, deafness does not mean a
child is “stupid”.  Hearing-impaired children have the same range of ability as
other  children.
CAUSES OF  DEAFNESS.
Hearing impairment is  often called the ‘invisible disability’. This is
because a hearing impaired  person looks just the same as any other person. We
cannot see hearing impairment  because it is caused by damage to the ears or to
the hearing part of the  brain.
A person may become deaf  at any time but we usually classify them in three
groups:
1. Before birth.  The causes of deafness are inherited diseases, the residual
effects of drugs or  defective genes inherited from the parents.
2. At birth. The  causes of deafness are complications during labour, which
affect the auditory  nerve or the brain.
3. After birth.  The causes are mainly diseases such as measles, mumps,
meningitis, cerebral  malaria and middle ear infections. This group also includes
exposure to excess  loud sounds, accidents to the ear or head and hearing
impairment due to old  age.
TYPES OF  DEAFNESS
There are two main types  of hearing loss:
1. Conductive  loss.
2. Sensori-neural  loss
Conductive loss is  impairment to part of the ear, which conducts (carries)
sound from the outside  into the inner ear. It is therefore a problem of the
outer ear or the middle ear
Examples of outer ear  problems leading to conductive hearing loss.
Impacted wax: - Wax completely  fills the external auditory canal.
Careful removal of the  wax restores hearing to normal. The wax may have to
be softened with special ear  drops before it can be removed.
Foreign  object:-  Beads, sand, erasers etc. may completely block the ear
canal.
Removal of these returns  hearing to normal. However, if you try to remove a
foreign object, you may push  it further in and damage the eardrum. It is best
for the child to be taken to  the hospital to have the object removed.
Outer ear  infection:- This results in infected liquid in  the outer ear
which reduces transmission of sound to the eardrum. It is usually  treated with
antibiotic medicine, which removes the infection. The hearing  should then
return to normal.
Perforation of  eardrum
Perforations (holes) can  occur in the eardrum due to loud explosion, severe
ear infection or the use of  cotton buds, feathers, pens etc. Small
perforations will heal  themselves.
Larger ones may be  repaired surgically.
Examples of middle ear  problems leading to conductive deafness. Middle ear
infection (otitis  media):-            This results in infected liquid in the
middle ear.  This
liquid reduces the  effective vibration of the three little bones of the
middle ear (the ossicles).  It is usually treated with antibiotic medicine, which
removes the  infection.
Fluid
(not  infected):
This may result from  blockage of the auditory tube or Eustachian tube as a
result of severe catarrh.  Liquid is unable to drain into the throat and
therefore builds up. If left, the  liquid becomes thicker and eventually starts to
solidify.
Ossicular chain  discontinuity.
The small bones of the  middle ear (the ossicles) can become dislocated. This
prevents effective  transmission of sound through the middle ear.
These are the most common  outer and middle ear problems that you are likely
to see in children in school.  Some others are Eustachian tube abnormalities,
tumours and congenital damage to  the ear.
Inner ear problems  causing sensori-neural deafness.
Infection:-            Meningitis, syphilis and cerebral malaria may lead to
damage to the inner  ear.
Drugs: Some very strong  antibiotics may cause damage to the inner ear.
Meniere’s  disease:- This is a syndrome having three  symptoms,
1. Hearing loss 2. A  balance problem 3. Tinnitus (ringing noise in the
ears), may be constant or  intermittent.
Noise induced: Damage  to hair cells due to exposure to loud noise for long
periods.
Head trauma: Damage  to inner ear (and possibly other structures of the ear)
due to severe damage to  the head.
Old age  deafness:- The hair cells in the cochlea die  due to old age.
ANATOMY OF THE  EAR
HOW DO I IDENTIFY A CHILD  WHO MIGHT HAVE A HEARING LOSS?
A child with a hearing  loss may show several of these indicators.
· Often asks you to repeat  what you have said.
· Only hears part of what  you say.
· Doesn’t seem to  understand instructions.
· Doesn’tcarrout  instructions.
· Confuses  similar sounds or words because they sound the same  tohim/her.
·  Looks intently at the speaker’s  face.
· Poor or  abnormal speech.
· Voice  pitched too high or too low.
· Voice too  loud or too soft.
· Difficulty  hearing when there is a lot of background noise.
· Has a  history of hearing loss, ear infections or frequent colds.
· Easily  distracted, short attention span, daydreams.
· Difficulty  with spelling and/or reading.
· Delayed  language development.
· Difficulty  locating sounds.
· Likes radio  or TV too loud.
· Behavioral  difficulties.
Of course many children  will show some of the above difficulties.
If a child shows more  than normal of the above indicators you may think (s )
he has a hearing loss.  You should then do some assessment. Remember that
English is not your pupils’  first language so most of them will have
difficulties with  language.
ASSESSMENT.
An accurate assessment of  hearing can only be obtained by use of an
audiometer. You can only use an  audiometer if you have been trained to do so.
However, there are some  simple tests you can do which will help you to know
if a particular child has a  hearing loss.
All tests must take place  in a quiet environment with no external
distractions.
Testing babies and young  children.
The child should sit on  its mother’s lap facing the distractor. The tester
should stand behind  the mother and where the child cannot see him/her. The
distractor should try to  keep the child’s attention visually but without making
any sound. This can be  done with a soft toy. The tester should make a soft
sound behind the child at  the same time as the distraction is removed (so that
the child is not over  distracted). If the child hears the sound (s) he will
turn towards it. If the  child does not hear the sound, the tester should
repeat it slightly  louder.
The test can be repeated  using a variety of sounds. Sometimes children can
hear sounds of a certain pitch  but not others; very often they can hear low
pitched sounds better than  high-pitched sounds. You can use anything you like
to make a sound e.g. a  rattle, bell, paper, squeaky toy, drum, voice etc. Be
careful not to test for  too long at anyone time. The child will quickly become
bored and will not  respond to the sounds. Your test will then be invalid.
Testing older pre-school  children.
When the child is old  enough to follow instructions, you can tell (or show)
him/her to put a stone in  a tin every time she hears you make a sound. You
can then test him/her by making  a variety of sounds.
Make sure you vary the  pitch and the loudness of the sounds.
Make sure the child  cannot see you making the sounds.
Testing children at  school.
A child can be tested at  school in the following way. Sit or stand a few
feet behind the child. Ask  him/her to repeat what you say. Speaking quietly at
first, say a word in a  language that the child understands. If the child is
able to hear you, move  further away or speak more quietly. If the child is not
able to hear you, speak  more loudly.
These tests should give  you some idea about whether a child has a hearing
loss and how bad that hearing  loss may be. A full audiometric test at hospital
will give a more detailed  picture. However, the information you have found
out for yourself will enable  you to help the hearing impaired child in your
class.
HEARING  AIDS.
A hearing aid is simply  an instrument that makes sounds louder. In other
words, hearing aids are signal  processors: that is, they alter the signal output
in order to improve it for the  wearer. Some hearing-impaired people benefit
from wearing a hearing aid, others  do not. It depends on the type and degree
of deafness.
Hearing aids come in a  variety of shapes, sizes, colours and types. Among
the hearing aids available  today are the traditional body worn, behind the ear,
in the ear, in the canal,  completely in the ear eyeglass instruments,
cochlear implants and radio hearing  aids. Loop systems can be used to enhance
hearing in public buildings. Most  hearing aids have a switch that enables the user
to benefit from a loop system  if such a system is installed in a building.
Among these only the body  worn types and behind the ear types are currently
in use in The  Gambia.
Body  worn
·      Is a small box worn in a  pocket or harness on the chest.
·      Cords lead from a tiny  microphone to an ear mould, which fits, neatly
into the  ear.
·      Runs on batteries and  requires regular care and maintenance.
Advantages.
·                Particularly suitable for children  with severe hearing
losses.
·      Has a great range of  adjustments.
·      The controls are easy to  adjust because they are relatively large.
·      Easier to fit and  maintain than behind the ear aids.
·      More durable than behind  the ear aids and not as easy to lose. . Less
expensive than behind the ear  aids.
·      Uses less expensive  batteries than behind the ear aids.
·                Disadvantages.
·      Very cumbersome and  noticeable when being worn, therefore many deaf
children refuse to wear  them.
·                Microphone is located far from the  ear.
·                Microphone can be easily rubbed,  creating noise and
affecting ability to hear speech  sounds.
·                Dangling cords, which often break  causing the signal to be
intermittent.
Figure 2. A body worn  hearing aid.
Behind the ear / ear  level type.
·      Tiny plastic box worn  behind the outer ear, with a small tube
attached to an ear mould, which fits  neatly into the ear.
·      Runs on batteries and  requires regular care and maintenance.
Advantages.
·      Can be used by children  with mild to severe hearing losses.
·      Usually has a range of  adjustments.
·      Very convenient to wear  and not too noticeable.
·                Microphone is located at ear level  so picks up sounds with
less interference than a body worn  aid.
·      Each ear has its own  microphone.
·                Problems with clothing noise are  eliminated.
·                Difficulties of cords are ruled  out.
Disadvantages.
·      Usually more expensive  than body worn aids.
·      More fragile and less  durable than body worn aids.
·      More easily  lost.
·      Controls and batteries  are small and therefore not so easy for
children to  adjust.
Figure 3. A behind the  ear hearing aid. A small piece of tubing joins the
hearing aid to the ear mould.
Care of the hearing  aid.
A hearing aid is an  expensive and valuable item. When it is not in use, keep
it in a safe place away  from other children. Make sure it is protected from
food, water, dust and  insects. Look after it. The ear mould should be cleaned
often. The person who  fitted it will give advice on how to keep it clean. If
the mould or tube becomes  full of wax, the hearing aid will not work.
Children’s ears are  growing so the ear mould should be checked for size and
fit every  year.
If hearing aid doesn’t  seem to be working properly:
·      Check that the on/off  switch is ‘on’ and that the volume control is
turned up.
·      Is there a battery  inside?
·      Is the battery the right  way round?
·      Is the battery  good?
·      Is the ear mould dirty or  blocked?
·      Is the chord damaged or  broken?
·      Is the chord properly  connected to the aid?
·      if the aid is making a  high pitched noise, check that the ear mould
is the correct size and is fitting  snugly in the ear.
If after checking all  these points the hearing aid still does not work, send
the parent with the aid  and the child to where it was fitted.
LANGUAGE  DEVELOPMENT
Language is something we  all have in common. It allows us to communicate
with others, to express our  thoughts, to develop our ideas and beliefs, to share
feelings, to share the idea  of the past and to plan for the future.
The ability to  communicate effectively is more important than the way in
which people  communicate (i.e. the language they use).
The desire to  communicate.
We all have the need to  communicate with other people. This is true of
hearing and deaf people. Deafness  does not take away the desire to communicate but
it does affect hearing and  speech. All babies and young children develop a
wide range of non-verbal  communication and they respond to such things as tone
of voice and facial  expression.
The learning of language  and communication starts at birth when a mother
first smiles at and talks to her  baby.
What makes the hearing  impaired child different?
The child with a hearing  impairment is denied the opportunity to develop
language in the same way as  his/her hearing peers. That is, by hearing it
spoken. If the hearing impairment  is detected early enough and the parents are
taught to communicate with their  child by visual means, then the child has the
opportunity to develop language in  a way that is appropriate for him/her.
Encouraging language in  young hearing impaired children.
They usually start to  speak at about 12 months of age. This means they have
spent 12 months hearing  and listening to speech before starting to speak. The
deaf child does not hear  the speech going on all around him/her so s/he is
unable to learn language in  the same way as hearing children.
If a deaf child does not  receive help at an early age, it becomes more and
more difficult for him/her to  acquire language.
If you know that a young  child is deaf, you should start to help him/her to
develop language right away.
You should speak to  him/her even if you think s/he cannot hear you. S/he may
be able to hear some  sounds and anything s/he hears may help him/her to
understand. You should  encourage him/her to look at your face when you speak so
that s/he begins to  learn to lip-read. At the same time, use gestures or signs
(if you know any).  Teach him/her what the signs mean by pointing and by
using them frequently until  s/he understands them and is using them him/herself.
Encourage him/her to make  sounds even if they are not speech sounds at
first. S/he needs to know what it  feels like to make sounds if s/he cannot hear
him/herself.
As the child gets older  and learns the meaning of more words, s/he will
continue to need extra help. New  words need to be used in a variety of contexts.
Synonyms and subtleties of  meaning need to be explained.
Language difficulties may  also make it difficult for the child to acquire
mathematical concepts. You will  need to explain, for example, that addition,
sum and total all mean the same  thing.
Make sure you give  him/her plenty of concrete experience and opportunities
for repetition to ensure  that s/he really understands.
MANUAL  COMMUNICATION.
In mainstream schools you  are unlikely to be required to finger spell or to
sign. However we include some  general information about signing and the
one-handed alphabet is shown in  Appendix 3.
Sign  language.
Sign language is a visual  gestural method of communication. It is produced
in the form of gestures  (movements) and is perceived by the eye. Individual
signs are the equivalent of  individual words in spoken language although
sometimes one sign can represent  two or more spoken words. For example, there is a
sign that means can’t be  bothered i.e. one sign represents three words of
spoken  English.
There are several  components that make up an individual sign. The four main
ones  are:
·      hand  shape
·      position
·                movement
·      facial  expression.
Movements of the eyes,  mouth, head, shoulders and body can also be used to
convey  meaning.
Hand shapes are based on  those used for the one-handed finger-spelling
alphabet. The same hand shape can  be used to mean different things if it is made
in different positions and  accompanied by different movements or facial
expressions. For example the B hand  shape is used to sign calm and settle. To sign
calm the flat right hand is  rubbed down the front of the chest, making
contact with the body. To sign settle  the flat right hand, palm down, is moved
downwards in front of the body but not  touching the body. The signs for enough
and fed up also use the B hand shape.  They differ from each other only in that
the back of the flat right hand is  tapped under the chin once for fed up and
twice for enough but the facial  expression for each of the two signs is
completely  different.
Facial expression can be  used to make a sign stronger. For example far can
be changed to very far by a  change in facial expression.
Some signs involve the  use of both hands, sometimes in the same shape,
sometimes making different  shapes.
Some signs are pictorial  i.e. they are pictures in space, they look like the
object they represent. The  sign for house, for example, is like the end of a
house drawn in front of the  body with both hands in the D hand shape.
It is very important to  note that sign languages are languages in their own
right. They have their own  syntax and grammar, which are different from those
of spoken language because of  the visual nature of sign language. There is
no international sign language.  Different countries have their own sign
languages, which develop and change over  time as any language does.
It is hoped that this  brief introduction to sign language will have
encouraged you to want to learn  more. St. John’s School for the Deaf has signing
classes for staff and for  parents. You should contact them if you want further
information
To sign or not to  sign?
There have been many  debates in deaf education all around the world about
whether it is better for  deaf people to use sign language or to try to learn to
speak and to lip-read  i.e. to communicate orally.
The main advantage of  learning speech is that, if the hearing-impaired
person is successful in  learning to speak and to lip-read, (s)he is able to
communicate with hearing  people. However, very few profoundly deaf people learn to
lip-read and speak  well enough to be able to communicate satisfactorily by
purely oral means. It is  almost impossible to tell what a person is saying by
lip-reading alone because  several sounds look the same as others on the lips.
For example, can you tell  the difference between ‘pI and ‘b’ on someone’s
lips if you can’t hear them?  What about ‘k’, ‘g’, ‘d’ and It’?
The main advantage of  learning sign language is that it is the recognised
language of the deaf and it  enables the deaf person to communicate in the most
natural way for him/her. Also  some research suggests that deaf children who
learn sign language first, find it  easier to learn a spoken language later.
However it can isolate  the deaf person from the hearing part of the
community.
The current situation in  the Gambia.
At the time of writing,  the adult deaf community in the Gambia is in the
process of trying to develop a  national sign language based on some signs from
other sign languages and  inventing new signs where none exist for words used
frequently in the Gambian  culture.
The only school for the  deaf in the Gambia, St. John’s School in Kanifing,
uses signed English i.e.  English is spoken and every word is signed. In other
words the grammar and  syntax of the English language are used. This is to
enable the students to learn  English, the language of education in the Gambia,
and thus to take examinations  just as their hearing peers do.
PSYCHOLOGICAL  IMPLICATIONS OF DEAFNESS
·      A deaf child of deaf  parents usually finds it easier to adapt to
his/he deafness than a deaf child of  hearing parents.
·      A deaf child can become  very frustrated by not knowing what is going
on around  him/her.
·      S/he may think that other  children who are sharing a joke are
laughing at him/her.
·      S/he may realise that  his/her deafness is holding him/her back
academically.
·      s/he may struggle to  express him/herself and become angry when other
people do not understand  him/her.
·      It may be difficult for  him/her to make friends with hearing
children.
·      Hearing children may  tease him/her.
·      Hearing children may not  take the time to help the deaf child to
understand.
·      People often equate  linguistic ability with intelligence; they
therefore assume that a deaf person  is stupid (“deaf and dumb”).
MAINSTREAM  STRATEGIES.
Speaking.
·      Before you speak to the  class or to the hearing impaired student,
ensure that the class is quiet and you  have the student’s attention.
·      Speak clearly but  normally. Do not exaggerate mouth movements.
·      Use gestures if you think  they will help understanding.
·      Check that the student  has understood instructions. Don’t just ask
him/her –  s/he will almost always say “yes” - check by asking him/her to
tell you       what s/he  is going to do.
·      Use the blackboard to  give visual clues. You can do drawings form
clarification or write up key  words.
·      When introducing new  vocabulary, give plenty of examples of usage and
check that the student has  understood.
·      If the student relies on  lip reading, s/he will not be able to write
at the same time as listening to  looking at you. This makes note taking
difficult for older students. You may  have to allow students to share notes.
Seating  arrangements.
·      Where you seat the  student in the room may make a big difference to
his/her ability to hear. S/he  will probably need to be at the front of the
room, near to you. It may be better  for him/her to be at one side of the room if
s/he has better hearing in one ear  than the other. Ask the student where
s/he can hear best.
·      Some students may benefit  from small group work; they may hear better
in a small  group.
·                Lighting.
·      Make sure the light is on  your face; don’t stand in front of a
window. If your face is in shadow the  student will not be able to lip read to
assist his/her  hearing.
Noise.
·      Be aware that background  noise can be very problematic for a hearing
impaired student. Too much chatting  in class, people talking outside the
classroom, chairs scraping on the floor  etc. can all make hearing even more
difficult.
·      Some students may like to  work alone in a quiet area for part of the
day.
Hearing  aids.
·      If the student has a  hearing aid, make sure that s/he is wearing it,
that it is working and switched  on!
Time and teacher  attention.
·      Some hearing impaired  students may benefit from some individual help,
especially with language  development, reading and writing. Shared reading,
where the student and a  competent reader take it in turn to read short
passages, can be very  beneficial.
·      Give the student extra  thinking time; s/he may take longer to process
the question and formulate an  answer.
·      It is very tiring to  listen and to lip read; you should be aware that
a hearing impaired student may  have a limited concentration span.
·                Encourage the student to ask you or  another student if s/he
is unsure of anything. Appointing a specific student for  this purpose can be
helpful but they must not do the work for the hearing  impaired student nor
must their own work be allowed to  suffer.
Others.
·                Encourage the student to make use of  visual learning e.g.
visual patterns in spelling
·      Give the hearing impaired  student opportunities to experience
success.
Don’t overlook his/her  strengths.
PARENTAL  INVOLVEMENT.
Information.
Parents have known their  children throughout their lives. They know their
children better than anyone  else knows them. Therefore they are an excellent
source of information about  their children.
They may have vital  medical information such as the child’s degree of
deafness. They will be able to  tell you about their children’s likes and dislikes,
strengths and weaknesses and  which approaches work best. Make sure that you
gather as much information as you  can from parents. Pass on to your colleagues
any information that you think they  need to know.
It is important that your  contact with parents is sensitive. Ensure that you
know whose responsibility it  is in your school to collect this kind of
information. It would be very unkind,  for example, if the class teacher on one day
and the head teacher on another day  were to ask for the same information
from a parent. It would also give a very  bad impression of the school.
Collaboration.
All parents should  encourage their deaf child to take part in normal
activities at home such as  chores and play. Some parents are willing to help to
support their child by  working with him/her at home. This may be in the form of a
follow up to the  day’s lesson, completion of homework or preparation for the
next day’s lesson.  Hearing-impaired children often benefit by some advance
preparation for a lesson  even if it is just to know the basic subject matter
of the lesson. If this  preparation is not done, a hearing-impaired child may
only find out part way  through the lesson what it is about. By that time s/he
may have missed a lot of  information.
Do not pressurise parents  who feel unable to help into doing so; you will
only antagonise them. Instead  wait a while, then praise the progress (however
small) that the child is making.  The parent may feel motivated to help if the
child appears to be doing  well.
Resource.
Parents can be a valuable  resource if you are good at spotting their talents
and putting them to good  use!
Some are willing to help  out in the classroom where an extra pair of hands
is always useful. They must  always work under your direction. You should make
clear to them what you want  them to do and what you hope the child will
achieve. For example, if a parent is  listening to a child read, tell the parent
whether you want the child to sound  out unknown words or if you want the parent
to tell the child what unknown words  are.
A hearing-impaired child  may benefit from having a parent in the classroom
to make sure that s/he has  heard and understood everything that has been said.
Some parents may be able  to help by preparing classroom displays or mounting
children’s work. This will  enable you to spend more time giving individual
help to those who need  it.
Some parents may be good  at advising other parents whose children also have
a hearing  impairment.
Some parents may like to  raise funds for the school or for special equipment
such as hearing  aids.
Policy.
Where possible, parents  should be given the opportunity to contribute to
policy decisions in school  affecting their child. This may be done through an
official channel such as the  PTA, or as a school manager or unofficially as an
individual  parent.
If your school does not  have a policy on special educational needs, you
should suggest this to your head  teacher. For example, is there a teacher with
responsibility for special needs  in the school? What criteria does the school
use when deciding which children  with special needs are admitted and which are
refused  admission?
Liaison.
Just as parents can give  information about the child to the school, so also
the school should keep the  parents informed of the child’s progress in
school. This is true of all children  but especially any child with special
educational needs.
It is useful to have a  system for contacting parents on a regular basis. It
may be possible for a  parent to see you after school one day a week. In this
way the parent can be  well informed and any difficulties can be resolved
before they become big  problems.
Do not wait for something  to go wrong before contacting the parents. Contact
them with good news as well  as bad!
Some parents are more  comfortable on their own territory and prefer you to
go their home rather than  coming to school to see you. This also gives you the
opportunity to see how the  child responds to the people at home.
Education.
Some parents appreciate  the opportunity to learn more about their child’s
disability and ways in which  they can be helped. If you have a number of
hearing-impaired children in the  school you could form a group of parents to advise
them about such things as  communicating with the hearing-impaired, how to
get help from other sources and  so on. They could also become a support group
in which parents share their  experiences.

HALIFA ON HAMAT’S COMMENTS IN THE  US
Bellow is the full text  of the interview with Halifa Sallah flag bearer of
the National Alliance for  Democracy and Development on the comments made in
the USA by Mr Hamat Bah of the  UDP/NRP Alliance.
FOROYAA: HAMAT BAH Claims that  negotiation is going on between NADD and the
UDP/NRP Alliance and that within a  short period of time one candidate will be
selected by the Opposition to contest  the forth coming presidential
elections?
HALIFA: At the moment no  arrangement is in place for the two sides to meet.
When Hamat left a consultative process  had started between Mr. Darboe and
myself to explore whether any basis could be  developed to serve as a foundation
for any negotiation.  Confidentiality was requested and agreed  upon. Hamat’s
comments in fact derailed the whole process.
FOROYAA:  Why?
HALIFA: He created the  impression that he had access to information
regarding negotiation which had not  even commenced and further remarked that NADD was
just interested in position  which completely misconstrued and trivialised
the far reaching analysis and  exchanges that I had with Mr. Darboe.  The NADD
executive gave me the exclusive mandate to discuss with Mr.  Darboe without
informing them of any details until agreement is reached for  initiating
negotiations.  When Hamat  made his remarks curiosity and uncertainty set in and the
whole process had to  come to a stop pending further clarification on what he
was propagating in the  US.
Part  Two
[...]
ABDOULIE SONKO’S TREASON  TRIAL
By Surakata  Danso
The protracted treason  trial involving Abdoulie Sonko and the State was
deferred on Thursday by the  Banjul High Court.  When the case  was called, Sonko
applied to the court for him to be provided with a counsel by  the State.  The
accused made this  application following the absence of his counsel (Mai
Fatty) in court.  He said his family members had made  efforts to facilitate the
appearance of Fatty in court, but they could not  establish his whereabout.
Sonko is accused of taking part in  the military assault on the Farafenni
Military Camp in 1996.  The said attack has left some soldiers  dead.  Sonko was
arrested after he  returned from Liberia.
DAILY EXPRESS PUBLISHERS  SUSPEND WORK
By Bubacarr K.  Sowe
Abdulgafar Olademeji,  co-publisher of the newly established Daily Express
Newspaper, has  disclosed that they have resolved to stop publishing their
paper.
Mr. Olademeji who was  detained at the National Intelligence Agency with his
colleague Samuel Obi, said  since the aftermath of their arrest, both have
agreed to suspend the publication  of the Daily Express. “We have resolved to
stop publication. No one is  holding us back, it is our own decision,” Olademeji
said in an interview with  FOROYAA on Thursday.
He also expressed that  they might even sell the company, stressing the lack
of interest and courage in  running it anymore.
According to Olademeji,  they have been detained at the NIA from Friday, the
14th July up to Tuesday, the  18th of July 2006. He also  indicated that the
NIA officials asked for Sulayman Makalo, the papers’  editor-in-chief who
resigned after the maiden edition.
However, recent newspaper  reports have shown that Makalo is allegedly on the
run.
The Daily Express,  which appeared in the newsstand for the 1st of July only,
was the  latest Gambian paper to close its doors, following the closure of
the biweekly,  The Independent Newspaper, a few months ago.
INSUFFICIENT BUDGETARY ALLOCATION AFFECTS  DOSE
By Sarjo Camara Singateh
Presenting his research  document before stakeholders at the Baobab Holiday
resort on the 19th of July 2006, Mr  Ousainou Loum said one of the most
pressing challenges of Gambian Education is  ‘’teacher supply.’’
Mr. Loum said there is a  shortage of teachers at the Secondary School level.
 He said it has been estimated that by  2015, 12,000 additional teachers
would be needed in the school  system.
He pointed out that this  number has taken into consideration the rate of
attrition and the effect of  HIV/AIDS.
He said in a bid to  produce 12,000 teachers within 9 years, Government must
improve the current  training facilities at Gambia College.  He said the
University must also expand its training programme for  secondary school teachers.
He said  this would require more spending and an increment on the education
budget.
He said in addition to  teachers, Education for all would require the
construction of new classrooms,  production of textbooks and the purchase of
equipment.  He pointed out that there is need to  increase the education budget by at
least 10%., Mr. Loum mentioned that the  budget for 2005-2006 was under 350
million Dalasis.
He said in sufficient  budgetary allocation has bedeviled the development
objective of DOSE for many  years.  He pointed out that DOSE is  aware of the
relationship between low spending on Education and the quality of  education that
is provided.  He said  the Government can either increase the budget or allow
the Private Sector to  participate in the provision of Education.