GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Oct 2000 20:46:29 EST
In a message dated 10/31/00 10:37:42 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< I'm not
 an admirer of
 Ghaddaffi for various reasons and I know that most Arabs look down on black
 Africans and generally
 refer to us as "bilal". My problem is why our African leaders are not
condemning
 the atrocities
 on our people. Is it because of the money?If your own leaders don't respect
you
 how the hell do
 you expect to be respected by others.

 Thanks for allowing me to butt in.

 Beran >>
***************************
Beran,

It's the money. Yaya Jammeh should go wag his finger at Moamar, instead of
the Gambian people, but he and the likes of him will never do that. Instead,
Ghaddafi who is seen as a pariah by his Arab brothers, and as a terrorist by
the West, has looked around a long time ago and found a pawn in these
gullible African leaders.They even let him hold court at the OAU.These people
know very well that Moammar Ghaddafi is just using the Africans because
everyone has isolated him.
On Arab racism towards Black skinned people, this is alive and well, and it
is preposterous for anyone to say that anybody in their right mind condones
it just because they have not mentioned it or written about it. Basically, if
one is against injustice of any kind, one cannot apply this selectively. I
personally will condemn injustice no matter what group of people it is
directed at, and I think I can safely say that most people who share the
sentiment do likewise.

. What is needed is what sister Fatou Sowe did in the case of Mauritania, and
 that is to educate people about these atrocities wherever they are being
committed, and it is up to us to make sure that those who represent us also
represent our views and sentiments when dealing with governments that tend to
look the other way in the face of these injustices. That is how these things
can be eradicated.

Jabou Joh