GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ylva Hernlund <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 15:56:58 -0700
----------
From: Stephen A Bezruchka <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 11:06:30 -0700 (PDT)
To: "International Health" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Silence is betrayal: Martin Luther King, Jr.

King is little remembered for speaking out in 1967 about the looming
incresing involvement in the Vietnam War.  His words ring true today.  If
500,000 people can march in London England to protest the decline of fox
hunting this weekend, what could Americans do to prevent needless loss of
lives.  STephen

     SILENCE IS BETRAYAL

     by Dr. Martin Luther King, J r.

     "A time comes when silence is betrayal. Even when pressed by
     the demands of inner truth, men [sic] do not easily assume the
     task of opposing their government's policy, especially in time
     of war. Nor does the human spirit move without great
     difficulty against all the apathy of conformist thought within
     one's own bosom and in the surrounding world. Moreover, when
     the issues at hand seem as perplexing as they often do in the
     case of dreadful conflict, we are always on the verge of being
     mesmerized by uncertainty. But we must move on."

     "Some of us who have already begun to break the silence of the
     night have found that the calling to speak is often a vocation
     of agony, but we must speak. We must speak with all the
     humility that is appropriate to our limited vision, but we
     must speak. For we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the
     darkness that seems so close around us."

     "We are called to speak for the weak, for the voiceless, for
     the victims of our nation, for those it calls "enemy", for no
     document from human hands can make these humans any less our
     brothers. I think of them, too, because it is clear to me that
     there will be no meaningful solution until some attempt is
     made to know them and hear their broken cries."

     "I am convinced that if we are to get on the right side of the
     world revolution, we as a nation must undergo a radical
     revolution of  values. We must rapidly begin the shift from a
     thing-oriented society to a person-oriented society. When
     machines and computers, profit motives and property rights,
     are considered more important than people, the giant triplets
     of racism, extreme materialism, and militarism are incapable
     of  being conquered."

     "A true revolution of values will lay hand on the world order
     and say of war, "This way of settling differences is not
     just." A nation that continues year and year to spend more
     money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is
     approaching spiritual death."

     "America, the richest and most powerful nation in the world,
     can well lead the way in this revolution of values. There is
     nothing except a tragic death wish to prevent us from
     reordering our priorities over the pursuit of war."

     "This call for a worldwide fellowship that lifts neighborly
     concern beyond one's tribe, clan, race, class, and nation is
     in reality a call for an all-embracing and unconditional love
     for all mankind.  We can no longer afford to worship the God
     of hate or bow before the altar  of retaliation. The oceans of
     history are made turbulent by the ever-rising tides of hate.
     History is cluttered with the wreckage of nations and
     individuals that pursed this self-defeating path of hate."

     "We still have a choice today: nonviolent coexistence or
     violent co annihilation. We must move past indecision to
     action. If we do not act, we shall surely be dragged down the
     long, dark, and shameful corridors of time reserved for those
     who posses power without compassion, might without morality,
     and strength without sight."

     "Now let us begin. Now let us rededicate ourselves in the long
     and bitter, but beautiful struggle for a new world. If we will
     but make the right choice, we will be able to speed up the
     day, all over America and all over the world, when justice
     will roll down like waters, and righteousness like a mighty
     stream."

     "May our country, on the brink of war, take to heart the final
     refrain of "America, the Beautiful": "America! America! God
     mend thine ev'ry flaw, Confirm thy soul in self-control, Thy
     liberty in law."

     The words of Dr. Martin
     Luther King, Jr. delivered at Riverside Church, New York City,
     April 4th, 1967 --- Dan Fecko--- [log in to unmask]
     EarthLink: It's your Internet.

Sell a Home with Ease!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/SrPZMC/kTmEAA/ySSFAA/DKgolB/TM

Next WASAN meeting is Wednesday, September 25, 2002. Location: Safeco Jackson Street Center, E Main between 23 & 24, Suite 200, Seattle
7:30 pm Business meeting (everyone is welcome).

We usually meet the fourth Wednesday of the month. For a calendar of local Africa events see http://www.ibike.org/africamatters/calendar.htm .  To post a message: [log in to unmask]  To subscribe send a message to [log in to unmask]  To unsubscribe send a message to [log in to unmask] . All past postings are archived at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wa-afr-network