GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 25 Jan 2006 21:52:28 EST

I do not think that either OJ or Darboe should serve as flag  bearer nor
should any of the NADD executive and the reason is simple. The  power struggle
that we are witnessing right now and which may do a lot of damage  to this
coalition effort, and which signals that there may be an ongoing power  struggle
between the contenders even after NADD wins the 2000 elections, which  in turn
could lead to the disintegration of a future interim government as  opposed to
one that will not be distracted and hard at work to  accomplish the monumental
task of restoring our country to normalcy and it  will indeed be one
monumental task.

If OJ is flag bearer, the old PPP vanguard will see this as a back  door to
power for them and do we really want that?  What about  the other opposition
leaders, can we trust them and their supporters not to  try to use the fact that
their leader is the interim president to gain  unfair advantage? A candidate
who is un-connected to all the parties, and one  that is comprised of
respectable, capable, sincere and dedicated Gambians  from various walks of life who
want only the best for everyone can accomplish  this task, restore our
constitution and set our country on the right  course.

I know that a while back, another list member wrote to say that he though
Halifa would be the best choice and I seconded that motion but only because  of
the fact that the situation has developed into one where the contenders for
flag bearer are the NADD executive as opposed to someone unaffiliated with the
coalition parties. Given that situation, I would choose Halifa simply because
he  has demonstrated ability, credibility and integrity over the years to
leave no  doubt in my mind that he would do what was required of him and will
relinquish  power when the time arrived without any sort of game playing in the
process.

However, when I made that statement, I also knew that as flag bearer, he
would have to step aside from the political scene after that and such a loss for
our country would be a huge one, and yet, in my view, given the choices, he
would still be the best man for the job. Mixed feelings about that one.

At any rate, despite the fact that the NADD executive has made it clear  that
the flag bearer should come from among their ranks, I still think that a
caretaker interim government comprised of non-opposition party affiliated
individuals would the best way and is the solution to the problem.

After Halifa was chosen as the coordinator for NADD, I took it upon my self
to write him a very long email, giving him my humble opinion that my
suggestion was that before a MOU was signed, they should make sure that every  detail
of the coalition, right down to who the flag  bearer would be, including who
members of the cabinet would  be was agreed upon and written into the document
before it would be  signed. I never received a reply to that email and I have
no idea if he  even ever saw it or if it would indeed have made a difference
if he did.  The rest, as they say is history.

I also disagree with the notion that whatever is going on in the process of
the selection of the flag bearer should be kept secret. In-fact, I shudder to
think that there are people actually advocating for that. I think that an
occasional press conference from the NADD executive would have gone a long way
in giving a desperate publicconfidence in the process and in the NADD
leadership and effort and would also confirm their sincerity and unity to the
public, but that is just my humble opinion.

Someone the other day put forth a list of potentials that NADD could draw
from to choose a non-party affiliated flag bearer and I would go further to add
that the entire interim government should be comprised of non party
affiliated  people who are competent and who will come in and do a complete over haul
without manipulation or bias. People with international experience and a good
World view, as well as local leaders, right down to the village   level, and
even a representation from among the various religious leaders.  We have
respectable and capable people from all of these various groups to  choose from
with the goal being to repair the extensive damage that this regime  has wrought
on every aspect of our lives in The Gambia. The process can be  a valuable and
priceless learning experience for our people.  Someone  mentioned a few names
like Dr Ibrahim Samba and Lenrie Peters,  but there  are many others like
Adeliade Sosseh Carayol  ( Par for the ladies)  as well as many more on the
ground and in the diaspora, men and women alike who  are ready and able to help
heal a wounded country and her people.

Our country is at a cross roads and a blood bath such as ensued in  Idi
Amin's Uganda could happen there if Jammeh comes back for another  5 years which
will definitely turn into 10 years and counting, and if you do not  believe it,
just think back to a few years ago and ask yourself if we ever  dreamt that
what the Jammeh regime has done in our country could ever  happen there and all
of us would have said never.

Many times in the past I have written in the pages of this very list  that
every atrocity that occurred under the Jammeh regime was a step  in the
de-sensitization process, testing the people to see just how much they  could take and
have'nt the stakes gotten higher each time, culminating in the  shooting of
people in cold blood in the streets of our country? What next in  store for our
people if the sons and daughters of our nation do not put their  combined
efforts into formulating a true solution to this crisis as  opposed to fighting
for position?  The APRC regime is power  hungry and brutal and with the
prospect of oil reserves in the country,  they will be ready to kill to stay where
they are. They are already   digging in their heels and making plans to make
that venture their own personal  cash cow.

 It is time we take our country back and we need an immediate and  effective
solution and we cannot afford to sit and let politicians fight  over power
until we perish. If the politicians love our country and  our people, let them
step aside and let us put in place a team to get us out of  this mess and create
an atmosphere where no government will monopolize the press  and marginalize
opponents. Where the constitution means something and  politicians are voted
in on the merits of their competence and not blind  support. Only an
independent body can accomplish that without favoritism and  prejudice, or are the
politicians afraid to stand and be judged by  their own merits only after a level
playing field is created?

In the meantime,while that clean-up and restoration process is taking  place,
whoever wants to be President can go and learn how to really  represent the
people and how to ask for our votes and apply for the job to lead  our
government. Let them go and learn how to really talk to the people and  present their
ideas and plans so we can gauge if they are competent enough to  warrant our
confidence.
Anyone who cannot fathom the need for such an urgent remedy in these
terrible times for our people does not really love The Gambia and her people  because
want of leadership should be the last thought at this critical  juncture.

Jabou Joh

In a message dated 1/25/2006 6:31:54 A.M. Central Standard Time,