GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jungle Sunrise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Nov 2001 11:05:57 +0000
Yus wrote:

"I have not had much time to review Charles' comments, but I figured putting
things in a bit of perspective might help.  And finally, I do think that
Charles is a citizen of The Gambia by now".

In the light of the above, I would like to reproduce one of his essays about
Charles Sam's observations of the Gambia and his hopes for the future. What
follows is what he himself wrote and not what he is quoted to have said. It
is reproduced from the viewpoint column of the Daily Observer of November2,
2001 and because I had to retype it myself, any typos are mind and is deeply
regreted.

BREAKING AWAY FROM THE VALLEY OF DRY BONES - BY CHARLES SAM.

The Gambia, the unique nation with untapped potential and resourcefulness,
has remained faithful on the track of desired development. However, she has
never seriously paused for a deep reflection and an honest assessment of her
actual condition. Thus the nation has not realised that though on the right
track, she has been running in the wrong direction and with the wrong rules.
The result has been that she has been moving round the race tracks without
any finishing line nor measurable results. This has disqualified the nation
from serious development and attainingan honourable place in the global
market place.

As we get deeper into the millenium, it is about time we stopped running
through purposeless motions, do a criticla observation and assessment of of
ourselves as well as our condition. When we look at ourselves, we realise
that we are like very dry bones. All that we used to pride ourselves in are
not with us today. We have gone down.

There is a very serious question which has been going through our hearts and
minds secretly which should now come out openly for serious discussion.

CAN THESE BONES LIVE?

Is there any hope of us surviving and having an honourable presence in the
new millenium? Is ther any hope of us having our voice heard in the world?
Can we ever be noted for anything possitive and significant? Will the stigma
of all the evils associated with the Gambia ever be removed? With all our
education, why have we not been able to transform our nation into a powerful
force like other developde third worl nations? What can we boast of? Can we
ever have the right leadership and structures for true stability, investment
and serious development? Can our judiciary ever be trusted as being
autonomous and offering fair judgement? Cab corruption, starvation, lack of
serious productivity, poor family structures and the chaotic manner in which
we approach development ever be eradicated? Can we ever back our prayers to
God, conferences, workshops, seminars, sub-regional and regional protocols
with serious concrete action? Can these bones live?

The Gambian leadership is bewildered when it is asked to explain the reason
for our embarrasing and humiliating situation or to suggest a direction for
the future. The citizenry, who are under the highest disposition of
helplessness have resigned everything to God Almighty because they have been
without credible leadership for about a third of the just ended century.
Most of us are praying to God without following it with concerted,
well-planned action. What we have failed to realise is that God works in
partnership with man and this explains why we have human management
structures on planet earth. If God wanted to do everything for us, there
would have been no need for leadership on earth. He is the real estate owner
and holds the title deed to planet earth but he has over the management
contract to man.

For every hopeless situation, there is a solution of hope. But without a
proper non-partisan and honest diagnosis of the situation as well as a
serious price paying search for answers by every Gambian, we will never
execute the right prescriptions to bail ourselves out of our catastrophic
situation. God has given us the required tools, skills, talents, abilities,
gifts, brains, wisdom, experience, the dynamic capability to change our
beloved nation from its catastrphic and and totally humiliated state to a
very powerful base. The Gambia should be reminded that it is
resourcefulness, and not reources, that will determine winners in the new
millenium. Our focus and confessions should now change from the search for
resources to the discovery, harnessing and use of resourcefulness.

For change to beging, the must first be the coming together of the scattered
dry bones which make noise and represent an awakening. We need to take
serious steps to come together in terms of geographical territory,
development-oriented groupings, sharing of ideas, concensus building,
discovering our individual and collective roles as well as purpose in the
new vision. This would fit ourselves or position ourselves properly in
readiness for action. The rattlin noise, as the very dry bones come together
could also represent the fact that we knock against each other in the
process, tread on each others toes and have disagreements, because we all
different personality and have diverse backgrounds. This can be handled
maturely and should not prevent us from moving forward.

After the dry bones come together, they need flesh on them which signifies
the beefing up of our coming together through dialogue, putting the right
structures in place, a change of negative attitude, a renewal of the mind
and putting our house in order. Flesh needs skin to protect it from external
dangers and this represents the concretising of our plans with agreements
etc sealed with a convenant of protection from negative infiltration.

Breath is necessary for human existense and life comes from God. Bones,
flesh and skin need life to make them complete. It is imperitive for us to
put ourselves, nation and plans before God Almighty, cut a convenant with
Him through prayer of one accord for Him to bless our efforts by releasing
the wind of resurrection power which is the spirit of life. The spirit of
life will energise us and cause us to rise from the cursed, grave situation
to conquer all our enemies. Our enemies are not our colonial rulers or the
developed world, but rather, arrogance, laziness, deprivation, unemployment,
immorality, corruption,wrong economic prescritions, economic stagnation,
under development, indiscipline, lawlessness, self-centeredness, the
get-rich-quick attitude, oppression and all other vices. The spirit of life
which releases ressurection power, will cause us to rise up on our feet as
an unsuallly large and powerful army which is ready for victory.

I believe with all my heart that The Gambia can be transformed into a major
service international spot with ofshore centres for all kinds financial
institutions, captive insurance, resorts, international conference venues,
meeting point for major world leaders and events, conflict prevention and
conflict resolution research/execution centres, data processing centre (like
Jamaica), major tourist activities, world class agricultural projects, world
class educational institutions, major recruitment point, a new industrial
revolution and much more.

It is time for us to rise as movers and shakers in order to keep at the
development world's pace. Lets not blow this opportunity. The Gambia is the
virgin territory of the millenium! GOD BLESS THE GAMBIA.

Nothing in this article suggests to me that he is non-Gambian or does not
the wish the country and its people well. It needs an open mind and
DEEEEEEEP reflection.

Have a good day, Gassa.