GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lamine Conteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Mar 2001 07:13:32 -0500
Comrades:

I am proud to be a Gambian today.  Your replies
and support for an urgent need in setting a
Unity Conference again is a testament that
Gambians are ready as a united front despite
our differences.  I want to thank you and I hope
we can live to see it.

It was very cold day at the Greensboro Public
Library when a young Guinean woman told me some
African history.  She said: "in Guinea, Mandinka
ko Kone, Sussou ko Conteh, and Fullah ko Bah."
She said: "Mandinka ko Camara, Sussou ko Sillah
and Fullah ko Jallow."  Finally she said:  "Ebay
bota sungikili."  Friends that sent cold chills
in my spine because I used to hate being called
Sussou as a young child.  This in sum is a reminder
that we are one family and thus, we should unite
instead of fight.

I will be calling the following representatives
in the US House:  Reps. Cynthia A. Mckinney, John
Lewis, Melvin Watt and Howard Cobble.  I will
inquire about the formalities of inviting political
leaders in foreign countries to the US regarding
the promotion of democracy and uniting behind a
single candidate against a dictator.  Please
try and e-mail your representatives to the US Congress
and familiarize them with the events in The
Gambia.  I will also call to inquire about round-
trip fares from The Gambia to the US.

Pleas keep posted.

Naphiyo,

Comrade M.Lamine Jassey-Conteh