GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Abdoulaye Saine <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 1 Feb 2000 14:25:36 -0500
G-L Community:
I am in agreement with Dr. Janneh's response and suggestions to Mr.
Sambou's excellent question.

I believe that some of these issues can be resolved by way of a NATIONAL
CONFERENCE, as recommended by the Gambia-L position paper to President
Jammeh, Leaders of political parties, civic and other organizations and
citizens.  By holding a National Conference, a governance framework,
including the "rules of the game," could be determined and agreed upon.

I can not stress enough the need for a National Conference in The Gambia
to address Jammeh's and his government's CRISIS OF LEGITIMACY, for the
benefit of the nation and himself. The alternative(s)could be costly
both to Jammeh and the country.  This is an issue the opposition,
professional organizations, such as The Gambia Bar Association, Trade
Unions and other Civic Organizations must insist upon.

A "Crisis in Legitimacy" breeds regime/leader insecurity, which in turn,
could lead to acts of terror against "real," "perceived" and/or
"fabricated" enemies.

The response(s) generated by Ebou Colley's posting "Yaya's Power Base"
and the call(s) for investigations of these and other alleged murders,
could be addressed through a TRUTH AND RECONCILIATION COMMISSION, also a
principal recommendation of the G-L Position Paper.  Opposition and
civic/professional organizations and citizens can insist on it now or
after it has been accordingly determined at a National Conference.

I have been greatly saddened, perhaps depressed by the alleged gruesome
murders contained in Ebou's graphic posting.  The solution(s)) lie not
in bloodbath revenge, however, but in JUSTICE for those who will be
ultimately accused and tried for these alleged crimes. Also, alleged
victim's families must be treated Justly. And if these allegations are
TRUE, those killed must be given proper christian/traditional/muslim
burials and their families compensated. TRUTH TELLING and ACKNOWLEDGMENT
of these alleged crimes should then initiate the process of "Healing and
forgiveness," hopefully, and not necessarily forgetting.

Abdoulaye
No justice, no peace!