GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Nov 2000 11:16:43 EST
I find this piece of news hilarious; especially the part that talks about
Gambia's justification for deporting Strasser. We are currently harboring a
worst human rights abuser in the form of Yaya. I wonder what our diplomats
and senior government officials call the massacre of more than a dozen
defenseless children. These people are jokers. The same fate will befall
Yaya one day. He will be running all over the globe looking for sanctuary,
but he can never hide from us.
KB

The authorities in Gambia have deported the former military ruler of Sierra
Leone, Valentine Strasser.

He was sent back to Britain where he's been living since 1997.

A senior Gambian official said Mr Strasser had been expelled because -- as a
former head of state -- he had not informed the authorities of his arrival,
and because Gambia did not wish to be seen as a safe haven for people
suspected of human rights abuses.

Mr Strasser seized power in Sierra Leone in 1992 but was deposed in 1996.

The human rights organisation Amnesty International recently demanded that
Britain try the former dictator for murders and tortures committed under his
military regime.