GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Abdoulaye Saine <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 19 Mar 2001 14:18:59 -0500
Mr. Conteh:
Thank you for your continued leadership and unflinching commitment to
restoring democracy in The Gambia.  My late response was not for lack of
interest but because I was away for a week.

I join others on the forum in commending you and endorsing the idea for
a conference, and like Joe Sambou, feel that the logistics ought to be
started by our friends in Atlanta.  I am willing, however, to play what
little part I can.

The other thought I have about the "Unity Conference" is that it ought
to be coupled with fundraising for the anticipated United Opposition
Party.  I believe, based on the proceedings in London, that the
respective political parties and their leaders, except for those of
PDOIS, have begun initial consultations. It seems to me, again, based on
PDOIS' current and past response(s) to the issue at hand, and the
reaction(s) it generated, that they Do Not wish to be part of a United
Opposition. I could be wrong and stand to be corrected.

If this is the case, the immediate issue is whether we need another
conference to be informed about issues that the London Conference so
eloquently highlighted and addressed. Thus, the need for fundraising, if
the "unity Conference" were to be held in Atlanta.

Mr. Jeggan J. Bahoum:
Thank you for the official report and your response to PDOIS' reasons
for not attending.  Your response to PDOIS was clear and well argued, a
benchmark to be emulated.

For KB, Hams, Saul, Musa & Co:
You also play an important role in the debate and I have similarly
enjoyed and learnt from your responses to Halifa's postings.  There is
enough room for all views in this debate about National Reconstruction.

I also believe we must continue to debate the "Gender Issue" as an
important plank in the quest for National Reconstruction as Ms. Sisoho
has so often and ably reminded us.

In conclusion, Gambians abroad not only have a right but a duty to bring
pressure to bear, (in collaboration with opposition parties at home and
abroad, other governmental and non-governmental organizations), on the
regime at home in order to see its speedy demise. I also respect the
stance of those organizations that are non-partisan.

Allow me to share this quote once more:

" Who saves his/ her country, saves him/ herself, saves all things, and
all things saved do bless him/ her!  Who lets his/ her country die, lets
all things die, dies him/ herself ignobly, and all things dying curse
him/ her." Senator Benjamin H. Hill Jr., 1893 ( Emphasis added to
reflect gender).

Cheers!
Abdoulaye