GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sanusi Owens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Apr 2002 15:53:37 +0100
Something interesting news about Yahya's one time
colleague.

Strasser Molests Student in Cookery Shop

Concord Times (Freetown)
NEWS
April 30, 2002
Posted to the web April 30, 2002

By Alhassan Spear-Kamara
Freetown

Abdul S. Sannoh of Freetown Teachers College breezed
into Concord Times office Friday to report on how
former Head of State, Valentine Strasser assaulted him
for wearing an SLPP T-Shirt.

Sannoh said he went into a cookery at Grafton to buy
food.

"I met Strasser in the shop. I did not even recognize
him initially.

"He had just finished eating some rice and cassava
leaves.

"Suddenly he started staring at me menacingly. I was
wondering why. Then he questioned, 'why are you
wearing that T-shirt?' " "I told him it was my right
to support any government I wish to support." He
exploded, "you are not ashamed to be part of such a
wretched government".

"The next thing he did was to throw dirty water all
over me.

"That was when we started dragging ourselves.

The former leader accused President Kabbah of "'six
years of worst government" "I will not vote Kabbah and
his SLPP," Strasser was quoted as saying.

In a very angry mood, Strasser barked at the boy and
said, " get out from here, do you think SLPP will rule
this country again?" Concord Times gathered that this
was not the first time the former junta leader is
being accused of involvement in some ungentlemanly
conduct.

Not long ago, Strasser was reported to have also
clashed with the PRO of the Grafton Displaced Camp
However, many people are saying Strasser is clinically
depressed.

The spectacle of a former leader in cookery shop is
ugly.

There have been calls on the government to
rehabilitate him. Attorney General Solomon Berewa told
an FM 98 phone-in programme last year government was
not going to do anything special for Strasser.

Berewa accused Strasser of behaving in a manner that
is unbefitting of a former leader.

Strasser only recently said he would not be involved
in politics.

With this latest outbursts against the SLPP, it is
unlikely his case will be taken up by government.

Yesterday, Strasser could not be reached. A close
confidante said the ex leader would not speak with any
pressman.

Copyright © 2002 Concord Times. All rights reserved.
Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com).