GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mariatou Sonko <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Dec 2001 10:59:44 -0500
Very well said gentlemen.  We have to realize that the government is a
force to reckon with; therefore, to smoothen the transition to future
progress we should engage each other.  We are all Gambians/humans with
flaws but if we genuinely engage each other with respect and a desire to
better our nation, we all will fare well.  I cannot fathom how any one of
us can feel comfortable being a part of a commotion with our fellow
citizens.

That being said, I think the gov't should assume its leadership role by
engaging all her citizens.  I don't think all the people who are voicing
out their opinions - sometimes negatively - are against the leadership, but
they want to promote freedom and democracy in their
motherland.  If the
gov't starts constructive engagement, they will realize that most people
don't give a hoot who runs the affairs of the nation.  The citizen,
especially those who are against the gov't for whatever reason, need to
realize that no citizen should be repudiated or chastised for being a part
of this administration.  Most people within the gov't are doing their
utmost to better for all Gambians.

Therefore, we should draw a line between genuinely opposing the policies of
the gov't and abhoring the personalities of the leadership.  If we take out
the personality issues out of our engagements, I am sure we will be able to
agree to disagree on any issue.  The gov't should not be suspicious of her
opponents, likewise, the oppositions should not be disrespectful of the
govt.  If insults are out of the debate and positive engagement is injected
in our dialogues, we will soon be consumed with
 jolly.

Let the moment continue......pass on the baton.

Good day
Mariatou