GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 13 Aug 1999 00:03:54 EDT
In a message dated 8/12/99 10:20:35 PM Central Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<<  think we all agree on the prohibition of building elaborate tombs. The
question is
 what do we do with the ones that are already there? destroy them ?
 This is a very interesting point to bring up .No one should be allowed to
build them
 anymore .
*******************
Habib,

This is a very interesting point. Since l learned about the prohibition of
erecting any kind of monument or structure on a burial site, l have agonized
over the fact that all our graveyards in Gambia for example are full of them,
even that of my own parents have been built over by siblings and other
relatives who are sure they were doing something  positive,  and l  thought
the same  thing until l came across this information. Well, it is a real
dilemma.l  have often thought about what everyone would think of me if l
decided to go and dismantle the structures on my parent's graves.The  issue
would be very controversial if raised, and yet, the ruling against erecting
structures over graves is as clear as daylight.Speaking up against it would
carry the same weight as Imam Fatty calling the Ahmadiyyas innovators, which
they are, or the group that raised the issue about the Mourids in Senegal
which resulted  in those riots, or even the fact that using any kind of false
hair is haram because there is an authentic hadith in which the Prophet said
"that Allah has cursed  the womwn who wears a wig, the person who makes the
wig as well as the person who puts it on for her. Very authentic hadith, but
what an uproar that would  cause nowadays when extensions are so widely used
by many muslim women at home. l  think the fact that we do not know
Arabic,(except  for a few amongst us) and as such,  aside from learning the
necessary surahs for  praying, we have not been able to delve into the sunnah
texts  and  the Qu'ran as well, such as those of Buhari and Muslim, as well
as  other works that were not available to us in English or  French
(Lnaguages we can read) until recently,  to learn more about the deen,
especially hadith, which covers  all the acceptable and  unacceptable in the
deen. Consequently, over the years, we have continued some practices which
are inconsistent with the deen, unknowingly, and which will be veyr hard to
get rid of if ever. Well, Allah Ta'ala does forgive us for the things we  are
ignorant of, alhamdulallah, but l am afraid that some of us will continue to
practice them even when we find out that they are haram.

Jabou