GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jan 2004 12:05:43 EST
Lawyer: Baba Jobe Held Incommunicado
by Omar Bah & Lamin Dibba – Daily Observer

Mai Fatty, lawyer for the troubled Majority leader Baba Jobe, has said that
he is going to institute legal measures to ensure the release of his client,
who is being held incommunicado.

Speaking to Daily Observer yesterday, Lawyer Fatty said since the arrest of
his client last Saturday, he has not been charged and that he has now been held
incommunicado. "I went to the Police Training School in Yundum today but I
wasn't allowed to see my client. The station officer there, Foday Minteh, told
me that he has now received superior instructions not to allow anyone to see Mr
Jobe, even lawyers," Fatty said. He asserted that another lawyer, Lamin Mboge
was also prevented from seeing Mr Jobe.

According to Fatty, his client "has still not been charged, nor interrogated
and he has not given any statement yet. The continuous detention of my client
is illegal. We will take the appropriate legal measures," Mr Fatty stated.

Police spokesman Pah-Amady Jallow told Daily Observer that investigations
relating to Baba Jobe's arrest are still going on and therefore he would not
"speculate on any reason for the arrest yet".

OC Jallow however said he wasn't aware that Baba Jobe was being held
incommunicado.

Meanwhile, Daily Observer has reliably learnt that neither Buba Senghore nor
Hamidou Baldeh, two close aides of Mr Jobe, were arrested as erroneously
mentioned in local media reports.