GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jul 2001 10:21:43 -0400
If Yaya and his cohorts have any shame at all, they will not commemorate
July 22. Clearly, the promise Yaya made about electrifying the whole country
did NOT materialize. To show the childishness of the moron, he waited until
close to July 22, got a loan and bought a generator that is nowhere near
electrifying 98% of the country; which he promised. Only gullible Gambians
will fall for this gimmick. The next government should pledge to bring
Yaya's dream into fruition within 100 days. Had Yaya not stolen the moneys
from Taiwan and opened Swiss Bank accounts, we would have electrified the
whole country since 1995. That is the benchmark; and not whether we have a
loan from Taiwan and one generator coming in to electrify only a tiny
portion of the urban area. What would have happened if these morons and
thieves were NOT leading us?

July 22 should NOT be a day of celebration for these morons. That is the day
they stole power from a democratically elected government. As Ebou Colly has
shown, taking the State House was a walk in the park. The cowards did
nothing extraordinary. They hijacked the country in broad daylight thanks to
their guns and their thuggery. They have nothing to offer us but misery.
Nonentities that failed in their own fields. Upon stealing power, they
continue to fail the Gambian people.

Stole millions of dollars from the poor people. Ruined our economy. Killed
our children. Incarcerate our brothers. Saddle us with a debt burden that
coming generations are going to pay for dearly. What has this debt burden
gotten us? Millions of dollars in private Swiss Bank accounts belonging to
Yaya and his cohorts. A mansion in Kanilai built mainly from kick-backs from
CSE and other contractors for government contracts building roads and
schools. In short, the meager resources we got from these loans have been
grossly mismanaged. This happens when you have a government lead by
vision-less  morons.

Gambians have to realize that the country could have done a lot better than
it is currently doing and has done since Independence. What Gambian would
rather have the proceeds of a loan from Taiwan sitting in a private Swiss
Bank account, rather than being used to adequately equip our hospitals? That
is what is going on with this government. While they are engaged in programs
ten-year-olds could have implemented if they were running the country, the
vermin are also setting us back by stealing from us. Gambians have grown
poorer under their watch. The overwhelming majority of our people CANNOT
earn a decent living. Why settle for people that have already failed us. The
AFPRC/APRC record is one of misery, poverty, corruption, callousness and
mayhem.

The Party is a remnant of the PPP regime. Top PPP politicians (from
Ministers to Alkalos) are running the political machinery of the APRC. Top
civil servants from the old regime are still holding sensitive positions in
this regime. These people CANNOT move the country forward. They do NOT have
the wherewithal or the integrity to run a country in the kind of mess we are
in. What can Baabaa Jobe contribute to the welfare of the Gambians? What can
Buba Baldeh do that he was unable to do when he was a PPP Minister? What can
High School drop-outs like Yankuba Touray offer us?

But if the vermin stopped at being inept, it would have been a blessing for
Gambia. They are not only inept, but they are callous too. They run the
country like a Gestapo outfit. People are arrested and tortured willy-nilly.
A day does not pass when you read the newspapers and not see someone
narrating his horrible experiences with the NIA. Journalists are brutalized.
Human Rights Workers are framed and put on trial. Innocent citizens are
unlawfully incarcerated incommunicado. Courts refuse to render decisions
that are unfavorable to the government. Elections are rigged. People are
dismissed from their jobs without justification. List goes on. In short, the
vermin have forfeited their right to lead. They have inflicted enough misery
on the Gambian people to wipe away what little good they might have done in
their sorry lives. Just like in Nuremburg it was NOT a defense to say that
Hitler, Goering et al built roads in Nazi Germany to help them go to the
Eastern Front to massacre Russians, when it is all said and done, we will
NOT listen to Yaya when he whines about his projects. We will simply ask him
what he thought his job was? Who did he expect to build the roads or bring
electricity to the country?
KB