GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sat, 9 Feb 2008 18:24:56 EST
Foroyaa Newspaper Burning Issues
Issue No.  16/2008, 6 – 7 February 2008

Editorial
SOS HEALTH SHOULD VISIT  SERREKUNDA HEALTH CENTRE
Pitch darkness enveloped the Health Centre on  Tuesday night as lights went
off without the operation of a generator. The  people accompanying their
patients had to light candles to provide light.
The hospital personnel were surrounded by patients and those who accompanied
them. They were helping women suffering from birth pangs as well as patients
who  were bleeding.
The worst aspect being faced by patients who are admitted was  the lack of a
toilet at the ward. Relatives had to carry patients on their back  and go to
the back of the wards to go to ease themselves outside the  wards.
It is a common saying that the health facilities in the country are
equivalent to the best standards on the continent. The SoS should visit  Serrekunda
Health Centre and explain to the Nation whether his government will  be proud of
such a horrible state of affairs. It is time for the government to  practice
what it preaches.

Immigration Rounds Up Beggars and  Newspaper Vendors
By Fabakary B. Ceesay
Following the press released  issued by the Immigration department that
beggars will not be allowed begging in  the streets and that strict measures will
be taken against anybody doing  including deportation, personnel from the
Immigration department, on Tuesday, 5  February, rounded up both street vendors and
wheel chair beggars who usually sit  in front of banks and supermarkets
around West Field junction and took them to  Serrekunda Police Station.
According to the vendors, they were stunned by the  move of the Immigration
officers, who arrested some of them on the spot. They  said they were not aware
of any warning issued by the said department regarding  street vendors,
especially newspaper sellers. The vendors explained that they  thought that the
officers are only after the beggars as their press released  indicates, but to
their surprise they were also included in the arrest. They  said that as they
tried in vain to explain to the arresting officers that they,  as newspaper
vendors, are contributing to the country’s development since it is  the papers
that inform the public about developments taking place in the county;  that the
response from the officers was that newspapers are not working for the  state
but for their individual interests.
The Immigration Spokesperson,  Superintendent Olimatou Jammeh Sonko, said
that she is not aware of any arrest;  that she understands that the clearing of
beggars from traffic points is part of  the operation that her office has
embarked on. She asserted that most of the  beggars are non Gambians; that their
behaviour at the traffic junctions is  endangering their own lives as well as
portraying a bad image of the country,  especially during the tourist season.
Superintendent Jammeh Sonko said that as  for child beggars (Almudos), her
office will liaise with the Social Welfare to  help locate their relatives before
being deported out of the country to their  respective countries. She said most
of the “Almudos” are either staying with  their relatives or marabouts; that
they will conduct their enquiries to locate  their parents.
On the arrest of the newspaper vendors, she said she is not  aware of such an
incident. The Immigration PRO told this reporter that she was  not in a
position to confirm the alleged arrest of wheel chair beggars and  newspaper
vendors at West Field. She promised to make her findings by tomorrow.
The full text of the press release from the Department of Immigration is
below:
PRESS RELEASE FROM THE OFFICE OF THE DIRECTOR GENERAL OF  IMMIGRATION
In accordance with the Immigration Information Policy, the  Director General
of Immigration, hereby, informs the general public and the  lawful custodians
of “Almoudos” that street begging is becoming rampant and the  Department is
warning all and sundry that the act of street begging will no  longer be
accepted. All responsible and concern citizens are strictly warned to  desist from
street begging or risk arrest and possible deportation in case of  alien
nationals.
Therefore the Department is warning all street beggars, in  the strongest
terms, to desist from such behavior or risk facing the full force  of the law.
These acts obstruct the flow of traffic and risk the lives of  others. The
general public is henceforth warned to cooperate for the stability  of our country.
The cooperation of all stakeholders is highly solicited in this  national
crusade.

Dr Mbowe Rejects Issuing of Expired Drugs
By  Saikou Ceesay
The Director of Health Services, Dr Tamsir Mbowe, said that it  is not
genuine for medical practitioners to issue expired drugs to patients,  describing
the practice as inhuman. Dr Mbowe made these remarks in an interview  with this
paper in his office yesterday afternoon. These remarks were made in  response
to reports that expired drugs have been issued to patients at public  health
facilities.
The Medical Services Director said that there is a  believe by some that
patients can use drugs within a period of three to four  months after their expiry
date but added that this has not been medically  supported.
Dr Mbowe said “We want to make sure that expired foodstuff and  expired drugs
will be out of the system.” He took the opportunity to advise all  executive
officers in all health centres and pharmaceutical owners to “stick to  the
rules.” He further said that the Department of State for Health and Social
Welfare will do everything to ensure that expired food stuff and drugs are not
circulated within the system.
Foroyaa has published a report on the issuing  of ‘Chloroquine’ for
injection to a patient at the polyclinic in Banjul. Foroyaa  has also received a
report on the issuing of expired salbutamol tablets to an  outpatient. In both
instances, the drugs and the medical papers of the patient  have been shown to us.

President Jammeh Promotes An  Independent Judiciary
News broadcasts by the state owned Gambia Radio and  Television Services
(GRTS), indicate that President Jammeh has given moral  support to an independent
judiciary. He gave the moral boost yesterday while  swearing in two new
justices of the Supreme Court at State House yesterday. One  of the new Justices is
from Ghana and the other is from Nigeria.
According to  the broadcast, the President made it clear that “it is not my
purview to  interfere with the judiciary” and that to interfere would
tantamount to  “creating a dangerous precedent”, he emphasized. The judiciary, he
remarked, should operate in accordance to the constitution and the law.
In  the broadcast, the President said that his office has been receiving
numerous  complaints asking him to intervene in matters before the courts but he
has  referred those cases to the Chief Justice.

“This Man Stabbed  Me”
(Sheriff Minteh’s Murder Trial)
By Saikou Ceesay
In the trial of  Dodou Janneh, who is alleged to have murdered Sheriff
Minteh, the fifth  prosecution witness (PW5) told the court that at the time of his
death Sheriff  Minteh told them that he was stabbed by the accused.
The witness made this  statement while testifying in the trial presided over
by Magistrate Kumba Sillah  Camara at the Bundung Magistrates Court on Tuesday
5 February 2008. The witness,  who is said to be residing in London Corner,
is a sister to Sheriff  Minteh.
PW5 told the court that she found the deceased lying on the ground on  that
fateful night. She narrated to the court that, while the accused was  standing
by, the deceased held the skirt of her younger sister, Mundaw, and told  them
that the accused stabbed him. PW5 further told the court that when they
wanted to put on the torch light the accused told them not to do so. She said at
that point the deceased told her not to allow the accused to escape because he
(the accused) stabbed him (the deceased).
“I then ran to call my brother  Dodou Minteh and after returning from the
telecentre I noticed that the deceased  had been taken to our compound gate,” the
witness told the court.
She further  said that the deceased asked her for water to drink but by the
time she returned  with the water she found that the deceased had been taken to
Serrekunda Health  Centre.
PW5 told the court that she did not go to the health centre because  she knew
that the deceased would not survive.
She told the court that after  the death of Sheriff Minteh, a police officer
came to their compound to obtain  her statement.
The case proceeded in the absence of the defence counsels.  Earlier on,
before the proceedings commenced, the case was set aside for forty  minutes in
order to allow the counsels of the accused person to appear.
The  case is to resume on Tuesday 12, 2008 for PW5 to be cross-examined by
the  defence counsels.

MARRIAGE AND FAMILY
Life Is Not  A  Game
Part 2
With Amie Sillah

Essa And Sophiatou
The  Plan
Essa explained his plan to Sophiatou. “The plan is simple. You have to  see
the light of it. You are right, abortion is dangerous for you at this given
time. Keep the baby.” Sophia showed a sign of relief. Essa continued to explain.
 “Keeping the baby to ourselves also is dangerous. We are in a catch 22 if we
 don’t think straight. My friend, George is rich and generous. He is also
handsome. Someone has to raise our child for us.” “What has your explanation to
 do with us? I can’t find the connection.” Sophie argued. “This is George’s
 position with his mom. The rich old lady is pressurizing George to marry at
all  cost before she joins her ancestors. She wants to see her grandchild. Our
baby  can be given to George.” “How?” Sophie asked. “I’ll arrange you to
meet George.  You’ll have an affair with him. Give him the pregnancy. His mom
will be very  relieved. She will force him to marry you and through such an
arrangement our  baby will have a secure future.” “What happen to our true love?”
She asked.  “Well! We continue out true love in secret.” “Nonsense! Essa,
what have you  taken me for? A prostitute! Get out of my house, my sight!”
Sophia pushed Essa  out of her house. She saw his suggestion as very insulting to
her  integrity.

Aminata Encourages Sophie
Aminata, her course mate  encouraged her to take the challenge. Sophie was
devastated. “Even you, Amie!  You are encouraging me to play bond with George.
What happens to love and  sincerity, oneness?” “They say love is a fool’s
paradise. What is love without  wealth? Even your Essa have seen the logic. Go for
it girl! Go for it!” “Essa is  acting under pressure. He is not thinking
straight. I love Essa. I’ll not leave  him. I’ll not play bond with George.” “
There is a thin line between love and  stupidity. Believe in Essa but accept
his plan. This will work to the advantage  of your unborn child.” Amie tried
very hard to convince her  friend.

She Accepts The Plan
Sophie visited her boyfriend. “I  have seen your logic. I have accepted. I am
very sorry that I have doubted you.”  Essa hugged her. There is nothing to be
sorry about. I’ll plan for you to meet  George. This is an easy way out of
our dilemma.” Essa hugged Sophie and gave her  a passionate lip kiss.

Meeting At The Restaurant
Before George  went to the restaurant to meet Essa, he has a bitter argument
with his mom. She  warned him. “I am tried of your bachelorship life. Find a
woman. Bring her home  to marry. Don’t get drunk today. Be sober! Do what you
are supposed to do!” Mama  advised. The friends met at the restaurant. Both of
them got  drunk.

Sophie Comes In
Sophie came in a red dress with a  fashionable jewelry to match and a bag.
She was conspicuous to both men. Essa  teased George and encouraged him to
approach Sophie. “Look at that fair damsel.  She will make a good wife for you.” “
Wife! How can she be a wife to me when I  don’t even know her? Marriage is an
institution. It has to be honoured.” George  argued. “Buy her a drink.” Essa
advised “Okay!” Essa called the bar attendance.  “Go to the lady wearing the
red dress and asked her what she would like to  drink.” “Okay sir!” The bar
lady went up to Sophie and asked her what she was  told. She made her choice of
drink. Later on the gentlemen joined her table. She  proved hard to get but
later allowed George to take her to a hotel room. They  have a deal and she
left.

The Surprise Visit
Sophie waited for a  month before paying George a surprise meeting. George
was surprised to see  Sophie at his home. He let her in and was anxious to hear
her speak out. “Can I  help you young lady?” “Can you remember me?” Sophie
asked. “Yes, I do.” “We had  a one night stand at the hotel.” “Yes! What
about that?” “I am pregnant.” Sophie  announced. “Nonsense! What do you take me
for? Only one night stand? Are you not  educated enough to take care of
yourself? I cannot accept your story. Please  excuse me. Give me time to sort out
myself. I don’t believe your story.” “Okay!  I’ll give you time to sort
yourself out but I’ll be back.” Then Sophie  left.

George Confides In Essa
George was very frustrated. How  can a girl appear from the blues to announce
that she was the one who  impregnated her? He has no feelings for Sophie,
much more to talk about  impregnating her. “Just one night’s stand? This lady is
playing a game.” He  confessed to Essa. He tried to convince him. “Are you
not educated? It can  happen at one stroke. It does not matter how many times
at the ovulation time.  This is a perfect opportunity. Take the pregnancy. Don’
t throw away your blood.  Moreover, the lady is beautiful and sophisticated.
This is a perfect solution to  your mom “worries.” “I was taking about
abortion but Sophie would not hear of  it.” “What did your mom say?” Essa asked. “
Sophie visited again and met mom at  home. She became head over heels with it.
She said it is now my time to settle  down. She had already made a shopping
spree for Sophie. She is thinking about  wedding before she delivers. How can I
marry a total stranger?” Essa started to  laugh at him. “Essa, it is not
funny. You have arranged the girl for me. You see  what you have done! You have
put me in mess. Why can’t you marry her?” George  argued. “How can I marry her
when she said she is pregnant for you? This is your  luck.  It will not marry
now. I can’t afford the expenses until I  graduate.” Essa teased his friend.

Mom Travels To Europe
Aunty  Diana is travelling to Europe for a medical check up and to also to
check on the  running of their family business. She bade Sophie good bye. “Mom, I
’ll miss  you.” “But its only three weeks. I’ll not take long this time
around because of  you. I’ll do the wedding shopping in London. When I come back
you’ll have a  registry marriage. It will still have pomp and show. George is
an only son of a  wealthy widow. I have to show the world that my only son is
getting married to a  dazzling damsel.” George refused to comment. Everything
is too much for him.  “Will you not miss me?” Aunty Diana asked.” So it is
only my daughter in-law who  will miss me? Allocate the sports car to car and
also a driver if she cannot  drive.” “I can drive mom and I also have a driving
license.” “That’s fine.”  “Open an account for her and my unborn grandchild.
” She kissed both of them and  left. Mom over protected Sophia.
To be contd.

Technical  Institute In Belgium Visits GTTI
Students and lecturers, numbering 106 from a  technical institute in Belgium,
called Ostende Lind, visited the Gambia  Technical Training Institute in
Jeshwang, on Friday, 1 February, 2008.
Mr.  Lamin Camara, a lecturer at the GTTI, who represented the GTTI director,
 welcomed the visitors and expressed the importance of the Ostende Link,
which he  said is a landmark in the development of the school.
Mr. Camara also made  mention of the achievements of the GTTI and expressed
hope that the two  institutions would learn a lot from each other.
Mr. Hostyn Luuf, who spoke  on behalf of the visitors, said they are truly
delighted to have the opportunity  to visit the GTTI, to learn and to share
experiences with them. He described  their one week visit as historic. He said, as
a Lecturer, he knows how important  technical training plays to the
socio-economic advancement of any country. Mr.  Hostyn finally expressed their
happiness on the way they were welcomed and also  the hospitality of the Gambian
people.
The GTTI  trains thousands of  young school leavers in the areas of auto
mechanics, welding, construction,  accounting, law, human resources etc.

Financing Skills  Development
A catalyst or a myth for business development
I am writing as  a scholar and a concerned Gambian rather than my engagement
with the National  Training Authority.  I am very much excited with recent
discussions  regarding the Education Levy in the Gambia media. This excitement is
as a result  of the expectation that a pertinent issue of public interest is
being discussed  with a hope that it would be given the due consideration in
the interest of all  and sundry. Before bringing forth my thoughts, it is
important that we clarify  the misrepresentation of the Education Levy as in the
Bite of the Point  Newspaper of 30th January 2008.
First, let me point out that that there is no  proposed Education Levy as
alleged in the article. The previous Education Levy  was amended by Parliament in
June 2005 as the current National Education and  Technical Training Levy
(NETTL). Since its amendment in 2005 the Act was  illegally disregarded, despite
numerous efforts with the former Income Tax  Department, until the coming into
operation of the Gambia Revenue Authority  (GRA) in January 2007. Shortly
after this, the levy suffered a serious blow  following its repeal on 13 February
2007, through a Cabinet decision.
In  short, a levy meant to finance skills development for the Gambian people
was  only operational for less than a 2 month period following an alleged
business  community outcry. Currently, a revised tariff for the levy is put in
place  different from the previous Education Levy tariff, details of all these
levies  could be found on the National Training Authority website (www.nta.gm),
the main  beneficiary to the NETT Levy.
This article is not a defence to  the Levy neither is it trying to nullify
the arguments put forward in the Bite  but rather a brainteaser for us all to
search for solutions to the current  dilemma facing the future of skills
development in the Gambia. I agree with the  article in some aspects that profit is
independent of turnover. A business might  certainly make huge turnovers but on
the contrary might as well make losses for  the same trading period. In those
circumstances, it would be awkward to pay a  levy based on turnover.
Nevertheless, someone is bound to foot the bill for  skills development as in
all other countries. Skills development in the Gambia  was designed to be
private sector led in terms of both its financing and  management, thus the
National Education and Technical Training Levy (NETTL) and  the National Training
Authority (NTA) management composition. Both Chairperson  and Deputy of the NTA
are private sector highly respectable business persons who  have been
steering the activities of the authority since its inception.
The  idea behind private sector led skills development initiatives are to
bring the  private sector into the classrooms, thereby ensuring a shift from the
supply-driven to a demand-driven approach.  As the saying goes, “one who
pays for the piper dictates the tune”. The creation of training standards panels
for various priority sectors of our economy e.g.  Tourism, Agriculture, ICT
etc, led and managed by the private sector is novel in the drive for
demand-driven approach to skills development. Details of such panels and their
composition are also available on the NTA website. In the very near future  training
programmes in most training institutions will run programmes designed  for
the Gambian industry, thereby producing the desired skilled human capital  for
our industries.
Let me first note that the Gambia is in the right path to  skills
development. The consultancy support the NTA received in 2006 from the EU  during reforms
to Technical Vocational Education and Training (TVET) in the  Gambia has
given us an edge over most countries in the sub region. We all make  references to
countries like Senegal and Ghana for their highly successful  skilled
workforce, however visits to these countries revealed two main  realities.
First, both of these countries lack a coherent skills (TVET)  system. They
however try to address the issues of demand-driven haphazardly,  which is hard
to coordinate to make the necessary impact.  Ghana is  currently on the verge
of reforming TVET similar to that of the Gambia  satisfactorily executed a
couple of years ago. However, impact of such reforms  will take time before it is
realized by industry.
Secondly, both countries  and in particular Senegal have a highly successful
financing mechanism, which is  mainly through a series of levies paid by the
private sector. Senegal, however  is very intuitive in the use of these levies
for skills development. The NTA has  been understudying the Senegalese system
and has created a Skills Training and  Development Scheme as a strategy to
targeting training needs of businesses.  However this scheme suffered a fatal
blow after the repeal of the long awaited  levy.
A pertinent question for the NTA, government and businesses is how  skills
development is going to be fully financed in the Gambia. The current  financing
mechanism provides no future for skills development in the Gambia;  neither is
it welcome by the business sector and is potentially bound to be  evaded
where possible. This trend doesn’t provide any iota of hope to our  development
efforts nor does it create the environment for Foreign Direct  Investment and as
put in the Bite, it might lead to businesses leaving the  Gambia.
We have recently witnessed the awarding of prices to the business  community
at the Sheraton Hotel by GCCI. This is a laudable effort. However  without a
skilled workforce, can we really compete internationally for such  awards. We
have seen at least a couple of Gambian businesses receiving  international
awards but do we really reflect and ask the composition of their  workforce. I
would suggest to the GCCI that the evaluation criteria used by  their consultants
for the business awards to include a criteria to measure staff  training and
development of enterprises.
It is obvious that the future  growth of a business is highly dependent on
the capacity of its workforce. With  a highly competitive global market, there
is bound to be an ever demanding need  for not only a skilled workforce but
relevant skills for our business  activities. Businesses have a social corporate
responsibility. Therefore, there  is need for businesses to dedicate funds for
a national skills development  initiative.
I am currently writing an academic paper on Sustainable Skills  Development
for Sub Saharan Africa and obviously it is natural to take Gambia as  a case
study since we are currently faced with such a dilemma. In the paper, I  intend
to review the various forms of Skills development financing mechanisms in  sub
Saharan Africa with a view to outlining strategic issues for the government
to pursue, to resolve the current predicament facing skills development in the
 Gambia.
In a subsequent article I will highlight the direction of the NTA in  terms
of skills development in the Gambia and report on recent achievements as  well
as shortcomings with a view to informing the business community of the
potential benefits the authority has for them and The Gambia as a  whole.
Abdoulie O Jallow,
Director Quality Assurance, NTA and  Graduate Student at the National Taiwan
Normal University,  Taiwan.

Burama Saho
Sublime Kora Player
Today’s edition of  Arts and Music Column puts Burama Saho, a sublime kora
player under the  spotlight. Mr. Saho whose prowess in kora led him to represent
his country in  various international festivals, talks about issues ranging
from how he fell in  love with the ancient music instrument and the state of
Gambian music.
Saho  further speaks about the need to preserve Gambian art and role of
national  council for Art and Culture in doing so.

By Musa  Barrow

Could you give a brief personal history of  yourself?
Saho: Well, as you rightly mentioned in your introduction my name  is Jali
Burama Saho. I was born and brought up in Misera, Sandu, Upper River  Region.
Both my parents who were artists were born in the Gambia.
How did you  learn to play kora?
Saho: I started learning to play kora as a past time. I  used to travel in
the dry season to do manual jobs in order to earn myself  income. It was only
during the rainy season that I concentrated on ,my kora  lessons. And
astonishingly for me I was able to learn kora within a period of  one year and five
months This period I must say is remarkable in the sense that  it takes some
people five years before getting their qualifications as standard  kora players. I
got my first personal kora in 1976 and with it I traveled to  many countries
in the West African sub-region which helped me to learn to speak  some
languages in the countries.
How on earth did you manage to learn kora  within such a short period of time
given the fact that it takes some people  nothing less than five years?
Saho: I would attribute this to hard work and  dedication. In addition to
that I should say that I was introduced to kora by my  father when I was a young
lad. I can still remember as a young boy whenever my  father was angry,
instead of beating me he would dismantle a kora and ask me to  fix every part in the
right place. So in a nutshell, I was quite conversant with  kora before
formally starting to learn it. Furthermore, as a kora student the  instrument was
an inextricable part of my life. I used to sleep and wake up with  kora. Above
all, in every endeavour one embarks on, one should show a great deal  of
interest and commitment to it.
After having been declared a standard kora  player, when did you start your
artistic career?
Saho: My artistic career  began in 1976 immediately after having been
declared a standard kora player and  it took off in a rather bizarre manner. In 1976
when I traveled to Senegal most  of my colleagues were doing manual works such
as fetching water. I also had a  contract with a woman to fill her water
containers everyday. Then one day when I  completed filling these containers, as I
started to play my kora, another woman  approached me and said  I had been
seeing you playing this instrument over  the TV, this  is my first day to see it
physically. The woman after having  been thrilled invited me to perform for
her and her family. It was on this very  day that I abandon my former work and
started performing on various occasions.  After my exploits in Senegal I also
traveled to countries like Guinea, Mali,  Ivory Coast, Burkina Faso and Sierra
Leone where I spent four years.
When  was your first tour outside Africa and who were the organizers?
Saho: My  first trip outside Africa happened in 1995 when as a member of the
then National  Troop toured United States. The National Council for Art and
Culture were the  organizers of this tour. During this tour we were lodged at
Detroit, but  performed and visited states like Ohio, Alabama, Atlanta and New
York. Our  second trip to United States was in 1996 and the NCAA was also
behind this  tour.
During your two tours to United States, what reception did you get from
Gambians residing in United States?
Saho: Although Gambians did turn up in  large numbers to watch our show, but
they were outnumbered by Americans;  however, we were well received by
Gambians based in the United States.
Who  organized those two festivals in the United States and what was the
objective of  the festivals?
Saho: The man behind those festivals was the late Dr. Pierson,  an African
American who stood for Pan-Africanism. The ultimate objective of the  festivals
I was made to understand was to promote as well as showcase African  culture
and tradition. The festivals also gave us the opportunity to propagate  the
name of our country
Do you have any unpleasant memory during your tours  of the United States?
Saho: In our 1995 tour, artists of National Troop were  offered an allowance
by city council of Middle Town, Ohio, this offer was  without any hesitation
rejected by one of our officials. This decision by this  particular official
did not go down well with most of the National Troop  members. And it truly
outraged them.
How much money was allocated to every  member of the troop prior to your
visits to United States?
Saho: In addition  to our monthly salaries which we were entitled to during
the period of our  visits we were allocated two thousand dalasi and four
thousand dalasi as  allowances in 1995 and 1996 respectively.
Foroyaa: What criteria do you think  was used to select representatives in
those two international  festivals?
Saho: The first criteria I believe was our regular registration  with
National Council for Art and Culture. In addition those selected were also  extremely
good in the trade.
How did you go to Ireland?
Saho: Well, in  1998 a friend who was quite impressed with me invited me and
three of my  colleagues to Ireland where we spent seven weeks. After that in
1999, I again  with the National Troop returned to the United States.
In the same year 1999,  my Guinean friend who was residing in the United
States returned home and told  me that he was going to take me back to the United
States. He was disappointed  that in our earlier trips he urged me to abscond
which I refused. The reason why  I refused was because I was on a national
mission, absconding to me would mean  deserting national cause. After presenting
all my documents to the American  consular in Conakry, he insisted that since
I was on my way to work as a kora  instructor at the University of California,
I had to first obtain a work permit  from the United States before issuing me
a visa. Unfortunately, I tried to get  one but I could not.
So if that trip had gone through you would have been a  kora instructor at
the University of California?
Saho: Exactly right. In fact  I have taught kora to many people, both
Europeans and Africans. Recently one  student of mine who is an Israeli national sent
me a cassette of his  performance.
How do you see the state of music in this country? Does the  future look rosy?
Saho: Truly, the state of Gambian music is not encouraging  at all. In fact
the disheartening and inconceivable thing is that foreign  artists are given
more respect by Gambians than local artists. In one roots  festival in Gambia
here, Malian artists were allocated fifteen minutes to  perform on the stage,
while Gambian musical groups were only given ten minutes.  Such things do
demoralize home grown artists. After this show the Malian artists  teasingly told us
that we would teach you to become better artists next  year.
In the following year we protested to national council for art and  culture
that we should be given the same time limit as our Malian counterparts.  This
time around after the show the Malians acknowledge our skills and saluted  us
knowing well that we are as good as any other group.
Recently one Gambian  artist during an interview had bluntly claimed that
national council for art and  culture is not supportive of Gambian artists, Do
you share his opinion?
Saho:  I totally concur with that fellow. The council is always complaining
about acute  fund shortage even without funds they could have persuaded artists
willing to  work for the nation to form a national troop. The NCAC should
double their  efforts to ensure that artists of this country are supported. After
all the  council is here for artists.
It is often claimed that Gambia has some of the  best kora players in the
African sub-region. But why is it that Gambian music in  terms of popularity
trails behind Malian and Senegalese music?
Saho: It is an  undisputable fact that Gambia has got some of the best kora
players. However,  the reason why Gambian music is secondary to both Malian and
Senegalese music is  because Gambian music industry is less organized
compared to those  countries.
What is the role of artists in traditional Gambian  society?
Saho: Artists played a very crucial and eminent role in traditional  Gambian
society. They served as custodians of history, mediators and advisers.  Before
Western colonization of Africa, artists also played the role of modern  day
journalists. Furthermore, artists should always be an upright person ready  to
defend nothing but the truth.
How do you see Gambia’s upcoming and young  artists?
Saho: It is a cause for concern that Gambia’s young artists do not  play what
we all called traditional and cultural music. As a consequence I feel  our
traditions and cultures are threatened. Most of these young artists are in  fact
commercial artists who are just interested in amassing wealth as much as
possible.
Most of these young artists do claim that the reason why they are  not
playing what you called cultural Gambian music is because splendid and  veteran
Gambian artists like yourself never gave them the opportunity to learn  cultural
music?
Saho: As far as I am concerned that argument does not hold  water. These
young artists do not approach veteran musicians with a view to  learn something.
How can we teach them when they do not approach us?
One  veteran Gambian artist is currently working to establish a music
academy. How do  you see that?
Saho: Well, the establishment of a music academy in this  country is
undoubtedly a step in the right direction. If it happens it is going  to enhance the
quality of Gambian music. At one point in time I also had the  same idea, but
due to lack of funds I had to halt.
Despite not establishing  my music academy, I do teach both Gambians and
non-Gambians on how to play kora.
What would be your advise to young aspiring Gambian artists?
Saho: Let  the young artists be enduring, hard working and not hesitant.
Whenever they need  guidance let them consult the veterans.

YPM Gambia To Stage 3rd  National Child Friendly Award
By Modou C. Nyang
Mrs. Fatou Camara Saidy,  the Chairperson Board of Elders of the Young People
in the media, talked on the  importance of the forthcoming child friendly
award slated to take place on the  16 of February 2008. According to her, the
National Child Friendly award is a  day set aside by Gambian children and young
people to recognize the giant roles  played by individuals and institution in
protecting and promoting their rights  and wellbeing.
Mrs. Camara Saidy said this year’s award is another  development that
contributes to the participation of children and young people  in the country. She
noted that the award ceremony encourages the entire  population to invest and
promote child friendly activities, which will bring  about healthy living
standards for children and young people in the Gambia. She  said that this year’s
award will be made with a difference, since it will  coincide with the one year
award anniversary of young people in the  media.
She further noted that within a year YPM Gambia has made remarkable
milestone achievements. She said these are clearly manifested in the numerous
activities, such as conferences in which her organization participated, both in  the
Gambia and abroad.
Satang Naban, Secretary General of the organization,  hailed the efforts of
dynamic individuals and institutions that make the plight  of children a matter
of great concern. She also  recognized the efforts of  their pacesetters and
child friendly adults and institutions that have made  heroic contributions to
the cause of Gambian children and young people.
Abdou  Jatta, the president of YPM, also expressed similar sentiments adding
that this  year’s awards will include the following;
·   Child friendly hero of the year.
· Honorary child friendly Ambassador of the  year.
·Academic per excellence.
·Child Right advocate of the  year.
·Outstanding child friendly institution of the year.
·Young  journalist of the year.
·Child rights activist of the  year.

Jatta disclosed that the award ceremony will take place at  the Paradise
Suites Hotel, on  16  February, 2008 at 7.00pm.

48)