GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joe Sambou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Dec 2002 20:21:20 +0000
Krubally, my sentiments exactly.  Why is it so difficult for these people to
denounce their illegal detention by these criminals?  If they gave Mr.
Jallow no reason for his detention, the more reason for him to denounce
their terrorist act in public.  We have a leadership crisis in the
opposition.  What would it take for the opposition leadership to recognize
that they have a similar goal of dislodging the APRC and, thus, should have
a vested interest in defending the civil and human rights of other
opposition leaders in particular and Gambians in general.  Their collective
silence on this issue to me mean that they are not concerned that the rights
of Darbo and crew are violated.  It is not enough that OJ or some other
leader of a party sound off on one corner of the country and another
elsewhere.  What we need is a collective message from them to address the
economic and political crisis that is choking us.  To Ousainou Darbo, Halifa
Sallah, Sidia Jatta, Omar Jallow, and Hamat Bah, your solo efforts in
addressing our economic and political problems are not enough.  Collective
pressure is what is needed to bring sanity to our nation at this time.

To the supporters of the various opposition parties, your silence is
deafening in the midst of our crisis.  We need for you folks to call on your
party leadership to adjust their outlook of our economic and political
landscape.  We cannot be seen or perceived as being partisan to the
detriment of our nation.  All the opposition parties thought they were king
of the hill leading to the presidential elections.  We have since learned
that, that is not the case and in fact the plurality each thought they had
was proved wrong by the Gambian voters.  With that experience in mind, why
are we begging them again to come together and fight for the liberation of
Gambia?  Or is it that elections are over and they all returned to their
bunkers?  Yes, the APRC has ruined our economy and our political health is a
mess.  However, the opposition leadership is doing a hell of a job assisting
the APRC in its ruination.  They cannot stop the sycophants in the Assembly
from passing obnoxious bills and they are not bringing their case to the
court of public opinion.  They may not have the numbers in the Assembly, but
they have mass representation among Gambians.  In addition, the poverty in
the country is affecting everyone in the country, including APRC supporters.
  The general decline of every sphere of our daily living touched all
Gambians regardless of ethnicity, religion, or gender, except for the
thieves that hold us hostage.  Bring your case to the hungry public.  A
public that cannot afford the basics; that is highly unemployed;
marginalized; and traumatized.  They can surely relate to the growl of their
stomachs and the unending civil and human rights abuses.  Our solution is
for the opposition to come together and address our plight, since they do
not have the numbers in the three branches of government.

Chi Jaama

Joe Sambou