GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sidi M Sanneh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Oct 2000 04:26:07 GMT
Karamba,

You have highlighted all the right elements missing in Government's strategy
for the Tourism Sector in The Gambia.  With increase competetion from
destinations like Senegal, Cote d'Ivoire and Ghana (not to mention the more
established destinations in Europe, South America and the Caribean). The ADB
has offered, and Government has accepted, to review the entire sector with a
view to developing a blue print (Master Plan) for the sector.  Tourism is
one of the few sectors without a blueprint as opposed to the agric.,
education and health sectors.  As a private sector-driven sector,
Government's involvement will be limited to providing the necessary
environment (including tax incentives, less government bureaucratic red-tpe
etc.)for the private sector to operate freely without hinderance.  The
political will and commitment must be there, of course, for it to happen and
succeed.  By way of information, a two-day workshop is being sponsored by
Delloit & Touche from 1-2 November in which the problems facing the sector
will be diagnosed with the participation of the both expatriate, local
operators, local consultants of the likes of Batch Fye, Sheik Tejan Nyang,
Bax Touray, Abdou Njie etc. I may also be there to participate in the
discussions.  I will keep you posted whether I attend or not.  Alpha Barry a
partner at Delloit and Touche in The Gambia is coordinating the workshop.
What is currently in store may not be the answer to the huge problems facing
the sector but, in my view, a worthwhile attempt at addressing some the
issues you have raised in your piece.  The Tourism Setor Study alluded to
earlier should commence early in the new year.

Sidi Sanneh