GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Abdoulie A Jallow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Nov 2001 13:58:21 -0600
The opposition has come to a strategic fork in the road. One path leads
to a future in which the struggle strengthens its grip on those factors
that are favorable and promising for future success. One that
encompasses each and every element of the opposition within and out of
the country. The other path, an unchanging continuation of the
oppositions’ prior strategies, is narrower.
While the better course may seem obvious, it involves complex issues,
many of which were discussed here on the forum prior to what I call the
most nerve wrecking election in the Gambia, October 18. Some strikingly
demonstrative pointers were brought up, only to be discarded as
irrelevant by those intended to benefit from. Had they paid attention
to some of these issues, there might have been more progress made.
According to numbers we saw on October 19, virtually 48% of the voting
population - those to be reckoned with, I must add - favor the
opposition. This should not be taken for granted in the coming
parliamentary election. Strategists will tell you that to regain the
confidence level of those who voted for the opposition in the
presidential elections will not be an easy task for the opposition.
Even more daunting will be to add to that level of confidence to gain
majority that is needed to fight for the oppositions’ agenda in the
next parliament. Based on historical facts relating to Gambian
elections, one can clearly see why it will be twice as difficult for
the opposition. Signals showing possible drifts amongst the opposition
ranks, UDP especially, will be making it even more intimidating for the
opposition. The presidential election results will undoubtedly create a
heavy burden for the opposition strategically.
To help resolve the strategic issues faced at this time, there one
promising way out – a united opposition. This should not be a harrowing
task for any of the various opposition units. Clearly, they do not have
to worry about having to select a common leader. All they have to worry
about is to be able to campaign on a common platform and a common goal
of occupying majority of seats in the next parliament. This, comrades,
should be the ultimate strategy of the opposition. With an opposition
majority in the house, the voices of reason will be heard loud and
clear. No qualms there. Jammeh can twist and turn all he wants his
actions will only help amplify to the whole world the type of
degenerated tyrant he has become.
We in the Diaspora have a role to play. I think Messrs. Sambou and
Johnson are right on the spot on what we should do next. The move has
to be made by the various opposition leaders as soon as possible.

Abdoulie A. Jallow
(Bamba Laye)