GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
momodou njie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Aug 1999 09:11:40 PDT
Hi Everyone,

Again, I am sorry for any misunderstanding.  I try very hard to make people
understand me. I did not try to suggest that Hamadi was trying to glorify
Mobutu. Of course, he wasn't. That's why I wrote,'I take the point about
Mobutu', meaning that I accept that he did change his name or names. What I
wrote later had nothing to do with the fact he changed his name. I had
already accepted that he did.

In the case of Yassin, I thought it came from Hamadi, because of this
paragraph :

PS.   For the sake of clarification I think that Almami, Alkali,
>>>Alpha,
>>>Asiatou, Boubacarr/Babucarr,  Sana (Hassan), Sainey (Alhuseiny)and Yassin
>>>are Arabic and not traditional Gambian names.  Our Islamic scholars and
>>>Arabophones will agree with me on this.

If it was not from him, then I'm sorry. Even if it was but he could not
remember mentioning it(I know what e-mail can do to people, including
myself)let us move on. What I meant about 'Yassin' was that it is one of the
names of the Prophet, and should be honoured by Muslims, at least. But when
it is used in insults and jokes, then one begins to wonder. That was my
point. Incidentally, I also have friends, relatives and neighbours, Muslims
and Christians, who are called Yassin or Jaal, in the case of the Wolof. I
do not have any problem with the name, but I'm not sure where it originated.
Cheers.

Momodou