GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Omar Drammeh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Dec 1999 22:10:40 +0100
In 1989, world leaders met and adopted The Convention on the Rights of the Child, and a year later in 1990 at a World Summit for Children they recognised the need to ensure that children`s rights are respected, that their welfare is protected, that their lives are free from fear, and that they grow up in peace. These leaders marked the year 2000 as a target to improve the condition of all children the world over.

A recent report by U.N.I.C.E.F reveals that this dream is yet to be realized. The reality is that millions of children still continue to languish in abject poverty, conflict and economic chaos and confusion, and while some are maimed or killed in wars, others become orphans or their lives are claimed by HIV/AIDS. Up til now life for most children in the world is a tough struggle for survival. We have seen child soldiers in many parts of the world, and for these kids the future looks bleak. Surely in their dreams they are yearning for a better world that will accomadate them and give them tender loving care, and thus the opportunity to enjoy growing up as kids. Alas, the world has failed them. VERY SAD!

Besides, its not all bad news, because today there are more kids going to school than before, and the majority of the world`s kids have some opportunity to read and write. In the industrialized world, 98% of kids begin elementary school, compared to 56% in sub-saharan Africa. We still have to get to work. Much is yet to be done. 60% of kids not at school are girls. In Afghanistan, according to the report only 15% of girls go to school compared to 42% boys.

The report also points out that the world this century has seen a great development in certain areas, especially in the wiping away of certain deseases, and vacccination which has saved millions of children.

The world`s children need our attention because they are in danger, and a child in danger is a child who cannot wait.

Regards,
Omar.