GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
saihou Mballow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Jul 2001 00:13:49 -0700
With only three months to go before the presidential
elections,the NIA is engaged in a campaign or terror
against the UDP.The recent revelation made by a strong
party supporter Dudu Kassa Jatta of Bakau is really
disturbing.This time round, the UDP party would not
tolerate any thuggery neither from the NIA nor from
the Lybian trained 22th July movement headed by the UN
travel banned-Baba Jobe.Unlike what happened during
the 1996/97 presidential and National Assembly
campaigns respectively in which the following accured.

ARBITRARY ARREST/ TORTURE OF UDP OFFICIALS AND
SUPPORTERS
[a]Through out the campaign ,UDP supporters were
picked up by the NIA/police and detained for weeks
without any charge.

[b]September 16th,1996
Siaka Sonko and Seni sabally were arrested and
detained at farafeni police station and later
tranferred to the maximum security prison in
Janjanbureh where they stayed for the rest of the
elections campaign.

[c]September 10th,1996
Kemeseng Jammeh who is now a member of the National
Assembly and manority leader in the Assembly was
arrested in Soma,LRD and later transfered to the
maximum security prison in Janjabureh.

[d]September 22nd,1996
As the secretary general and party leader was
returning from a country wide tour his convoy was
stoped at Denton Bridge and people were made to decent
from their vehicles.Members of the presidential guards
using rifle butts,batons and other weapons attacked
and beat the innocent UDP supporters.The late Sedia
Sagnia ,the then senior Administrative of the party,
sustained fractures and had to be hospitalised for
days.

[e]January 2nd,1997
On the very day of the National assembly
elections,party constituency chairmen and supporters
were arrested aroud the country and detained at
verious police stations to named few:Buyageh Sedibeh &
others of Gambisara Village,URD and Galleh Ceesay &
others of Garawol Village,URD.

[f]June 8th 1997
UDP branch in Brikama where members of the branch were
meeting,armed police with A.K47  marched in to their
meeting hall and arrested eight of them and detained
them at the NIA cells in Banjul where they under went
severe tortured by the presidential guards and the
NIA.
These detainees were:
[1]Mr.Momodou Single Nyassi
[2]Mr.Wassa Janneh
[3]Mr.Yusupha Cham
[4]Mr.Bolong Sanneh
[5]Mr.Dembo Ara Sanneh
[6]Mr.Dodou Sanyang
[7]Mr.Ansumana Bojang
[8]Mrs Sarjo Kunjang Sanneh

UDP would begin to remind the international community
and draw their attention to the thugs' activities of
these regime toward the party at the time of campaign
for elections.

Saihou