GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 17 Jan 2005 12:24:11 EST
About five hours ago, Gambians witness the signing of the Memorandum Of
Understanding between the political parties, forming the first ever coalition in
the 40-year history of our beloved nation of The Gambia. The ceremony
establishing the creation of NADD, took place at the Palmgrove Hotel and was a 'standing
room only' according to Mr. O. J. Jallow, whom I spoke to about 45 minutes
ago. It is said that the crowd was so large that people were barred from
entering the premise of the hotel for safety reasons. All political parties were
represented and each spoke highly of the initiative of STGDP who came up with the
idea of a coalition in the 2001 Atlanta conference. They were also expecting a
statement of endorsement from STGDP to be read at the ceremony, but am sure
Musa will be sending one.

The coalition, National Alliance for Democracy and Development (NADD), will
now embark on its next phase which will be registration of the alliance. Within
the next coming weeks following registration, NADD will begin its search for
a flag bearer and creation of its leadership team as described by the MOU.

A few years ago, this historic accomplishment was unthinkable in the eye of
many, yet we in the Diaspora dared to dream it, engineer, market and support
our tactical team at home, who embraced the idea and got to work with it. Having
said that, we have just begun the crucial task of supporting NADD by
generating funds to nurture the coalition for the challenging campaign they face. I am
certain we will rise to the occasion again.

Congratulations to all of you who believed and rose to the occasion when it
mattered without the fanfare.
Regards,

Maila

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい