GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Isatou Njie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Oct 2000 06:59:17 -0700
Just read an update on the recent drug bursts
involving Awa Loum Faal and another one involving
Wakka Jagne.  For a moment I thought at least someone
is working under Yaya's Government.  The drug squad
had made a considerable success in nabbing big drug
traffickers but my concern is that how come these
people never get punished?

I dont have anything against anybody but I just feel
some people are really above the law in Gambia.  Visit
Mile 2 or Jeshwang prisons and all the inmates are
either petty thieves "tafu-kat" who maybe tried to get
away with something to feed their families,
youngesters caught smoking "jamba", cattle theft and
lots of other minor offences.  I am not saying they
should go unpunished but I believe if they are
everybody else should.

I have come to the conclusion that if you want to
commit a crime in Gambia, first make sure you are well
known and make it BIG.  Dont steal small items or do
petty drug deals.  Make it so big the serious crime
unit is involved.  Then and only then will you gain
their respect and you will go scot free because for
starters they want to set up an enquiry which never
yields results.  It is not unusal to hear that so and
so is being investigated for fraud involving millions
of dalasis stolen from their departments but I am yet
to hear that they've been sentenced or that they are
serving time.

Gambia's problems are far from over and until we learn
to treat all our people as the same our troubles will
be with us for a while.