GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jungle Sunrise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Jan 2002 14:41:16 +0000
Ghanim, Momodou Camara and all others who are following this un-usual
weather of ours, I am happy to report that it seems that we have seen the
worst of it. The sun has started shining in the GBA and Kombos, after three
days, and the rains have subsided elsewhere. Unfortunately, the met. office
had warned us that it was expected to last about ten days. I hope they are
dead wrong.

On the issue of storage facilities, I am afraid that even though there are a
number of facilities throughout the country, there aren't any canvasses to
cover our farmers' produce. What the DOSA is advising Secco supervisors and
farmers are to spread the the groundnuts thin to allow for the circulation
of air so that the groundnuts do not become moldy. They have also issued the
same advise to our rice farmers so that their rice does not start
germinating.

As for dear old KTR, well it is doing fine. Unfortunately due to the
ineptitude of the various area councilors that they had, almost all its
infrastructures that were woefully neglected are in a terrible state. Nearby
Wassu is however growing very rapidly and is more of a commercial town than
KTR. Any way I am hopeful that with the eminent revival of river transport,
it may make a big comeback. The white elehant concrete wharf that we built
but never used except for our various Mansa Killas and Mansa Killabas is
still there and may still be useable after almost fifteen years of neglect.

Have a good day, Gassa.