GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rene Badjan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jul 2001 20:22:55 EDT
Dave,
     Thanks for the response. My interest is this issue is basically
historical. As I said I was always fascinated as to how this came into being.
Such a situation, I don't know now, existed in Old Jeshwang where I lived
most of my youthful life. Most of the land that is the village, and its
surrounding belonged to the Ceesay family. I am more aware of this fact,
because in our community development efforts then, land that is government
owned and those that are ownership claimed, most often come into play. There
was virtually total recognition of this ownership claim by villagers, and to
put it in a historical context would have been more informative. This was
what sparked my curiosity.

      I have noted the much helpful response of Mr Ghanim between "free hold
land" and "leased land." Thanks for your attempts in trying to assuage this
curiosity. Regards.

    Rene