GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Madiba Saidy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Feb 2000 01:00:01 -0800
 The Third Eye

 January 18, 2000

 Should We Kill The Preachers?

 How negro ministers destroy the legacy of Dr. King and make
 a mockery of Jesus the Christ

 By Jeff Obafemi Carr <[log in to unmask]>

 Nashville, Tennessee--Sitting in a folding chair on the
 floor of the Gentry Center at Tennessee State University, I
 almost double over in pain. The deep, piercing blows beat
 steadily on the drum of my stomach, distributing the
 resulting shock waves evenly through the rest of my body. I
 wince, and as i raise my head to see the podium of people
 several feet away from me, I have a sudden revelation:

 Negroes make me sick to my stomach.

 It's King-Day time in the year 2000 after the birth of Jesus
 of Nazareth, also called the Christ. Once again in
 Nashville, a few thousand well-meaning working class
 people--mostly Black, some White--have marched from various
 points in the city to convene on the campus of TSU for a
 program commemorating the life of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

 Once again, the march has been led, in large part, by a
 rag-tag group of con-men wolves, dressed in the friendly
 sheep's clothing of ministers of the Gospel of Jesus the
 Christ.

 Once again, an opportunity to motivate, organize, and focus
 the power of a collective community has been squandered,
 replaced by a self-indulgent display of homeletics,
 call-and-response preaching, and downright foolishness.

 This is no unfamiliar scene when it comes to a certain breed
 of Black clergymen that emerged onto the national scene
 after the death of Dr. King:  The Professional Preacher.

 Armed with a warehouse of 4-button suits, a tractor-trailer
 full of superfluous words, and one or more correspondance
 course-level divinity degrees, the Professional Preachers
 have wreaked havoc on our community, utilizing the dual
 legacy of Dr. King and Jesus the Christ to lead us in the
 polar opposite direction of both the literal and figurative
 Promised Land.

 It's sad to think of the current state of our so-called
 community leadership in both the political and spiritual
 arenas. Dr. King must be turning over in his grave,
 wondering how in the world his comrades and their
 descendants did such a magnificent job of dropping the
 activism ball. And Jesus. Well, Jesus must be sitting on the
 Right Hand with his head in his hands, repeating his
 crucifixion words, "Father, forgive them, for they know not
 what they do."

 Now before I continue, I must say that I am not squaring the
 blame for all the negatives in our community squarely on the
 shoulders of the Black clergy.  Nor am I criticizing the
 many earnest, humble servants of The Creator who have been
 called to minister to the sick, tired, and spiritually
 deficient who, daily, show their calling through the union
 of their talk and their walk. It would be unfair and
 outright irresponsible to do so, especially when you take
 into consideration the history of Afrikans' struggle for
 freedom in America, and how that history is stocked full of
 examples of strong leadership from the Black Clergy. In so
 many instances, our struggle for liberation grew out of the
 Black Church. If it hadn't been for people like Nat Turner,
 Richard Allen, Vernon Johns, Martin Luther King, Jr., and
 countless other spiritual freedom fighters, we wouldn't be
 where we are today.

 And who could argue with the fact that during and after
 slavery, the church was the institution that did everything
 from preserving our Afrikan spiritual rituals to keeping our
 families and community's very sanity intact? There is a name
 for that state of being. The elders call it "that old time
 religion." Right now, however, we're living in a new age.

 The tradition of strong leadership in the church is falling
 away. Now, instead of politically involved, fearless men and
 women of the cloth who were rooted in the community they
 lived in and loved dearly, we have either the type "A" or
 type "B" Professional Preacher, both of which are an affront
 to the tradition of the Black Preachers like Dr. King, and
 Jesus, whom they claim to represent.

 The Type A Professional Preacher

 Politically-manipulated, spineless preachers who spend all
 their time telling stories about how they "marched with
 King" and selling their congregation's votes to the white
 politician who lies the best. Many of these individuals are
 older and yes, did participate in "the movement." They
 followed Dr. King with the enthusiam and admiration a
 teen-aged girl has for a rock star. When King was killed,
 they were afraid to step to the plate because, in their awe
 of King's mastery of language, history, politics, and
 philosophy, they failed to read and study--like King did;
 They didn't travel to interact with statesmen in other
 struggles--like King did; They didn't form an eclectic
 philosophy based on human interaction through history--like
 King did. They simply thought King would be around forever.

 When King departed the earthly plane, this cadre of
 clergymen shrank from the responsibility of leadership, and
 instead, fell back on their ability to "pull it" (That's
 preacher lingo for firing up people emotionally, also
 referred to as "slaying" or "killing" a congregation).
 You've seen this plenty of times when a preacher is in
 church and it's obvious that they didn't prepare a sermon.
 They fall back on one of their "horses" (an established text
 or phrase that's proven to work) like, "He stayed in the
 tomb all night Friday...Saturday...but then early...I said
 EAAAARLLLY Sunday Mornin'..." You know the rest. These are
 the type of empty, emotionally-charged rantings you
 hear--and I heard--at King Day Celebrations nation-wide.

 These preachers don't seem to get that being able to sound
 like Dr. King isn't enough. You must have something to say.
 And if you're going to take up the mantle of King, you're
 going to have to also take up the work, not just the words.

 As for Jesus, and his place in the world of the Type A
 Professional Preacher, they claim to represent him and model
 their lives on his example. But a cursory glance at Biblical
 history will reveal that this can't be the case. Jesus was a
 revolutionary; A fearless representative of the most High
 God who challenged wrong-doing at every turn. For his
 beliefs he was ostracized, shunned by the governing class,
 and eventually, killed for what he represented.

 Funny, sounds a lot like the life of Dr. King, but nothing
 like many of the preachers of today.

 The Type B Professional Preacher

 Super-smooth, articulate, prosperity preachers who drive the
 most expensive cars, wear pin-stripe zoot suits with
 cufflinks the size of doorknobs, and teach their followers
 to give, give, and give again. This preacher is particularly
 dangerous because his/her material motives play right into
 the grand scheme of the institution of popular culture.
 There is no delineation in their churches between the
 spiritual world and the secular one. You see the same dances
 in their churches that you see in the club. You even hear
 the same music (with a few "God"s and "Jesus"' thrown in for
 good measure).

 The majority of their sermons are aimed at prospering in
 this life, and they themselves are the examples of what God
 can bless one with. Members who may live in public housing
 or can barely pay their bills rejoice after giving their
 tithes to this preacher, saying out loud things like, "Boy,
 Pastor sho' is sharp today, ain't he?" The emphasis in the
 church is on dramatic spectacle: a large choir--complete
 with choreography, a full orchestra, dancers, step
 teams--all of the elements that Grandmama would have cringed
 at in that little old church off the dirt road where "The
 Lord" was the focus of the pastorate, not the accumulation
 of wealth.

 As for their juxtaposition with Dr. King, they don't
 resemble him in any shape, form or fashion. At least, not
 directly. (They do, however, share a unique bloodlust for
 money with Dr. King's living relatives, operating under the
 dubious organization known as "The King Estate.")

 Dr. King, a preacher cut from the old cloth of activism, did
 not strive to amass a personal fortune. He spoke of economic
 development and empowerment for all, but his focus was
 communal, not individualistic. When King received over
 $200,000.00 with his Nobel Peace Prize, he gave it to the
 Southern Christian Leadership Conference. King moved his
 family into a northern ghetto when he worked to organize
 poor people. Although his church provided him with a
 parsonage of sorts, which was their "reasonable sacrifice,"
 it wasn't a mansion, and it didn't belong to him. It
 belonged to the church and existed to house it's servant.

 You cannot convince me that, if Dr. King had lived, he would
 be wearing a bright red suit, promoting "Dr. Martin Luther
 King, Jr. Ministries" via Trinity Broadcasting Network,
 sitting next to some negro with a conk and a ring that
 looked like a memento from a superbowl championship. Nor can
 you even conceive of Dr. King extolling the virtues of
 building schools, homes, and businesses just for his
 congregation's members alone. It just doesn't fit.

 And let's not forget Jesus. Remember him? Jesus, who never
 owned fancy clothes; Jesus, who criticized the Pharisees
 (who were the educated, well-dressed, self-proclaimed
 spiritual leaders) for their hypocrisy and wrong-doings;
 Jesus, who went through the temple like Taz, driving out
 people who dared SELL GOODS in his father's holy place, a
 house of worship?

 Who's trying to be like him?

 You mean to tell me, if Jesus were here today, he'd have a
 great big church with 5 to 10,000 members and 20 or 30
 assistant disciple/pastors flanked around him like he was a
 ghetto superstar? Or better, would he be standing before
 you, telling you how to think prosperous, then directing you
 into the lobby or the church bookstore to buy his latest
 book or set of tapes? Can you see Jesus now, dressed like a
 pimp, cruising around town in the latest Lexus, Mercedes, or
 SUV with vanity plates that read, "GODSKID?"

 Somehow, I just can't picture it. But there are many of
 Jesus' so-called "followers" who fit the bill.

 So What Now

 I know that right now, there are many of you who are angered
 beyond the ability you may have to express it. You feel as
 if I've attacked God's chosen people. I'll get tons of
 letters on this one, filled with all sorts of scriptures
 that either justify the prosperity preacher, or condemn me
 for what you perceive as my being judgmental. Countless
 ministers will make this article the subject of their
 sermons in the weeks to come. The ones who do will
 undoubtedly be identifying themselves as the guilty ones.
 Those erstwhile, honest sisters and brothers of the clergy
 out there (and I know of some great ones) who are doing
 higher work will continue to go about doing the work of God,
 without seeking to show it to you in the way of the
 Pharisee.

 I will answer one question, though, that I know the
 detractor is asking: "Why pick on the preachers? We've all
 fallen short of the glory of God?"

 I've analyzed certain members of the Black clergy because,
 by virtue of the fact that they have publicly laid claim to
 the mantle of leadership, they are responsible for what they
 claim to represent.

 One elder I spoke to a while back said that the types of
 preachers i've written about today are the number one entity
 holding our people back. He went on to say that, in a true
 struggle for liberation, the first thing we'd have to do is
 kill off "these Negro preachers."

 I agree with him, at least in principle. That means that we
 must kill the mentality that allows these venomous fakirs to
 continue to make a living off keeping us mentally asleep.
 Then, eventually, they will all die off, and the
 Professional Preachers will become the dust upon which the
 true servants of God and Humanity will trod.

 No, they won't be perfect. They will be as flawed as every
 other spirit that is trapped in a fragile, weak, human
 shell. They will struggle with everything you and I struggle
 with. But their hearts will be in the right place, and ours
 will be as one with theirs.

 And the great legacy of Dr. King, yes, even Jesus the
 Christ, will once again be realized by all.

 I, for one, look forward to the day when I can gather with
 sisters and brothers to celebrate the life of Dr. King, and
 get something that will feed me mentally, spiritually, and
 economically; Something tangible that will fill me up.

 Because I'm tired of getting stomach aches.