GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Momodou Camara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Jan 2003 18:25:46 -0500
FOROYAA BURNING ISSUES NO: 7/2003   23 - 26 January, 2003

CONTENTS

 *  Mr. President! - Where Is The Accountability?
 *  NAMs' Reaction To The Budget Speech - continued from last issue
 *  Another Discovery of 1.5M Fake US Dollars
 *  Petrol Station In Basse Burnt To Ashes
 *  The Gambiapost Group Pave The Way
 *  Focus On Gambia's Economic Situation - Single Currency For West
Africa: Is That The Answer?

Mr. President!

Where Is The Accountability?

No Financial Statement

Since 1992

No Auditor General Report

The APRC regime calls the PPP regime corrupt. Does it have moral authority
to do so? Certainly not!! The reason for this is simple.

It is of course common knowledge that the Auditor General under the first
Republic did acknowledge that for the ten years the financial statements of
the government had not been examined and no reports were submitted to the
then House of presentative. The end result was over a billion dalasis in
unauthorised spending.

On the other hand, the first Auditor General of the second Republic also
reported in 1998 that since 1992 financial statements had not been
submitted to the Auditor general for review. The 1998 Auditor General's
Report, which is the only report submitted to the National Assembly since
the APRC came to office, stated categorically that "The accounts for the
financial year from 1993 to 1997 have not been prepared and submitted to me
for audit. A number of reminders to the effect were sent to the Accountant
General. In their absence I am unable to report on the accounts as required
by the constitution."

What then is the effect of failure to prepare accounts? The Auditor General
asserted:

"The failure to produce financial statements is a matter of grave concern
as we are unable to confirm the level of expenditure made or revenue
collected by government, whether the government is operating a surplus or
deficit, and the
overall indebtedness of the country."

Mr. President there is still no Auditor General's report. Can you tell the
nation where the problem lies? Is it the failure to provide financial
statement of the Auditor General? The nation is waiting for an answer.
Until the government gives a legitimate answer it has no moral authority
to  indict anyone of corruption.

          __/ __/ __/ __/ __/ __/ __/

NAMs' Reaction To The Budget Speech
continued from last issue
Fabakary Tombong Jatta

In reacting to the budget speech, the member for Serrekunda East, Fabakary
Tombong Jatta indicated that the Gambia is a tax based economy. Based on
that, he said, they should stamp out anything that will make them lose
revenue. He indicated that at times revenue collectors complain about
shortage of receipt books which make local government in particular lose
thousands of dalasis revenue collection.

On Loans

The member indicated that government has to take loans to carry out certain
development projects because, over 90% of the budget is spent on debt
services charges personal emulation, purchases of goods and services and
subsidies and current transfers.

On Pensions

The member indicated that there can only be stability if people have
something to eat. Based on that he said, there should be minimum wages for
pensioners to enable them have something to  eat.

On Fuel Crisis

Honourable Jatta indicated that the fuel shortage facilities need to be
expanded to provide room for storage to avoid shortage.

On Health

The member indicated that the SoS has said on page 5 paragraph 24, that "If
the goals of 2015 are to be achieved each of us must act now. In doing so,
we must recognise that development is not about quick fixes. Bringing
lasting change requires vision, time and patience. It requires a long-term
commitment, focus and discipline. And it requires us to measure
effectiveness."

Based on this, the member said there is need for a mechanism for drugs
control in our hospitals and health centres.

On Agriculture

The member indicated that the things we are importing in the country could
be produced here. He indicated that in order to develop the Agricultural
products of this country, there should be storage facilities for
preservation and marketing outlets for our farming community.

Amadou Khan, member for Sandu

On his part, Amadou Khan, member for Jokadu, in reacting to the budget
speech indicated that they have to defend the interest of the poor farmers.
He said the poverty alleviation policy should be revisited. He indicated
that giving loans to farmers would make the poor poorer. He indicated that
the money used to the farmers as loans, could be used to buy fertilizer for
them to increase their productivity.

On Crop failure

Honourable Khan indicated that this year has already registered a
nationwide crop failure. He indicated that government should now be
thinking of ways and means of helping  the farmers with seeds. He indicated
that the farmers have no
seed nuts this year and if government doesn't help them, they will not have
seeds.

On Salary Increment

Honourable Khan indicated that the 6% increment right across the board in
that 50% increment should be given to the low income earners and 5 or 6% to
the top
income earners in order to close the gap between the low and high income
earners.

Kebba Touray, Member for Kombo East

Reacting to the budget, the member for Kombo East, Kebba Touray indicated
that they are paying almost D8000 per annum as National Assembly members
for tax, so why not non-Gambians. He indicated that people are talking
about unemployment,
lack of teachers and doctors. He then asked: "How can we pay them without
revenue?'

On Tax Measures On Tradesmen

Honourable Touray indicated that these tradesmen are causing a lot of
pollution in the environment and yet they are not paying anything to
government. He indicated that the sad thing about the whole issue is that
during feasts, these
people leave us here and go to their homes with the money. He indicated
that hotels and motels in the provinces are also to pay. He indicated that
during the colonial era, licences were levied on bicycles. He argued that
our local governments are to be encouraged to make use of our revenue.

On Youth

Honourable Touray indicated that our trained youths be organized to be
productive.

Omar Baru Camara, Member for Kuntaur

On his part, the member for Kuntaur, Omar Baru Camara indicated that the
economic crisis in the country should be accepted by the people. He pointed
out that the crisis is caused by trade barriers for African goods in the
world market and also the wars in the sub region. He argued  that these
affected our macro-economy.

Our Revenue

Honourable Camara indicated that there should be a good system for revenue
collection to cut down the expenditure on revenue collection.

On Central Bank

He indicated that the central bank should provide capital to indigenous
Gambians and that the Mortgages Act be reviewed as it is affecting Gambian
businessmen.

On Salaries

The member indicated that the salaries of the civil service need to be
reviewed and civil servants be given allowances instead of increment
because a salary increment will be taken away by taxes.

Another Discovery of 1.5M Fake US Dollars

On Wednesday the 17th of January 2003 the members of the press were once
again informed of the arrest of one Gambian in connection to the discovery
of 1.5 million dollars counterfeit currency. A 27 year old Gambian by the
name Sheikh
Hatab Fofana has been arrested.

According to the Army PRO Captain Bunja Darboe, a soldier had a tip-off
that somebody wanted to take their money. He said, according to the source,
two boys approached him and told him that they had a white woman from
Europe who had promised to send them some money. They had to rely on a man,
a Guinean since they do not have a post office box. After some time the man
informed them that he had received their money but had spent D15,000 out of
it before he could get it. They tried but could not get the money from the
man. When officers of the National Guard were sent for the man they could
not find the man  but they found another man in his house.

During the search they found a box of black papers sealed and a bottle
liquid.
According to the man found in the house one Sheikh Hatab Fofana, a 27 year
old Gambian of Tallinding, KMC, when the liquid is used on the black papers
they turn into visible dollar notes. Captain Darboe said Fofana even tested
the liquid on one of the black and it turn to visible dollar note. But
Captain Darboe added that the liquid got finished. He said the accused are
said to be three in number, one Gambian and the one at large whose
nationality is not known. Members of the Gambia National Guard are on their
investigation.

According to Darboe the members of the GNG have been given limited police
role.
They only conduct preliminary investigations leading to arrest. Since they
cannot prosecaute they would hand over accused persons to the police for
further investigation and any possible prosecution. Captain Darboe
therefore called on the members of the press and the public for cooperation
on what he called the fight against crime. He said criminals live in the
public but through collaboration with the public and the press, the GNG
would be able to do a lot.
GNG will not rest until the Gambia becomes a crime free society. They are
out for all types of criminals. He called for information against those
house breakers who move about at night. The press briefing was done in the
office of Major Mbye, head of the GNG.

          __/ __/ __/ __/ __/ __/ __/

Petrol Station In Basse Burnt To Ashes
Residents, drivers, commuters as well traders around the environ of Basse
garage fled helter-skelter when a fire incident occurred claiming the life
of one Momodou Alieu Bah, a middle age man of Guinean nationality.

The fire which cause is to be known erupted at a local petrol station on
Saturday 18th January between the hours of 10 to 11am. The said petrol
station owned by Momodou Yaya Jallow also a Guinean is situated at about 50
metres away from Basse Ferry terminal.

The building of the petrol station, which was also built buy the colonial
masters, was been partly undermined by the water of Gujuguju Bolong, which
to the ordinary passerby seems to be a dilapidated building.

Almost 85 barrels of fuel were reported to have been burnt down. From a
distance huge explosions can be heard, and emitted dark fumes covered
surrounding atmosphere, causing serious atmospheric pollution. The team of
fire fighters who were dispatched to the scene had to battle for three (3)
good hours before they put it under control. In fact, one of their officers
by the name Basiru Badjie was reported to have sustained some injuries and
hence hopitalised.

The victim Momodou Alieu Bah who died in the incident was trapped by the
fire while he was inside the fuel store housing more than 20 barrels of
fuel.

Meanwhile, the police are still investigating the cause of the fire.

          __/ __/ __/ __/ __/ __/ __/

The Gambiapost Group Pave The Way

On the 28th December, 2002, the members of the Gambiapost made a donation
of D4,600 to Mr. Batch Jobe and his family. The Gambiapost, an internet
forum joined by Gambians and non-Gambians in the Diaspora, made this
donation as an answer to the call made by Batch Jobe who lost his two
children in a fire incident leaving his wife hospitalised at Royal Victoria
Hospital. The incident occurred at Fagikunda in November 2002.

Foroyaa was called, furnished with information concerning the benevolent
aid and shown the expenditure made by the family from the aforesaid amount.
A receipt of D350 was shown as the hospital bill, one bag of rice for D300,
one carton of
peak milk D600, four dozens of Vaseline ointment D600, twenty-five days
fare D500, roast meat for thirty days D750 and an account with Standard
Chatered Bank, Serrekunda Branch through link save at an amount of D1500.

Asked whether Malang Maane is the one making these contributions or a group
of Gambians, it was made clear that it is from a group of people who are
members of the Gambiapost, an internet forum where Gambians and non-
Gambians joined or have access to send and receive information. When any
such events happen nationally it is those who have access to the internet
who will have such an information.
As for Malang, he is coordinating the whole process. We have been informed
that contributions have been made by both Gambians and Non-Gambians in the
Diaspora.

On his part, Batch Jobe said that those who sent him this amount may feel
that it is small but for him it is very big because it comes at a time when
he really needs it.

He thanked them for their efforts.

Assistance is still needed as Mr. Jobe's wife, Kumba Cham is still admitted
at the Surgical Ward at the RVH with serious burns. The following people
can be contacted, Batch Jobe at GPTC or Batch Jobe, Standard Chatered
Bank, Serrekunda
Branch, (Account Number 0150540987200), Postal address: C/o Malick Manneh,
P.O. Box 3070, Serrekunda, the Gambia, West Africa.

Malick Manneh:Telephone: 393177/918216, Email: [log in to unmask]

Malang Maane, Telephone: (678 - 581 - 5215), Postal Address: 1019 Franklin
Rd apt20-0, Marietta Ga 30067, USA. Email: [log in to unmask] /

          __/ __/ __/ __/ __/ __/ __/

Focus On Gambia's Economic Situation

Single Currency For West Africa:   Is That The Answer?

Dear Editor,

It is a pleasure for me to write you to add my voice to those who are
making contributions to this column since you started it a year ago. Let me
add that I am one of those readers who enjoy very much the issues treated
under this column. I am also part of those who not only enjoyed reading
them but enjoy discussing them with others who are less fortunate than
myself.

The issue of a single currency for West African states is an issue very
much debated by people. The present economic difficulties which are largely
blamed on the depreciation of the dalasi has become a case for concern for
many Gambians,
and this is why many feel that the proposed single currency for our region
maybe the answer to our economic problems. Can you shed more light on the
pros and cons for this most important debate in the communities?

Thank you very much,

Yours dear reader,

Ansumana A.S. Jabbi

Thank you very much Mr. Jabbi for bringing this most important of issues to
the fore. The issue of common currency for West Africa or even of Africa as
a whole is not new. It is as old as the issue of West African integration
and African Unity, but as it has been said by several people already, the
issue of building closer economic and political ties among African
countries has always been a strong desire for the ordinary African masses
but different conditions continued to impede progress and only improved
partially.

Now to answer your question as to whether a single currency for West Africa
is the answer to the problems of our currency in the Gambia in particular
and the region in general, we must first and foremost deal with the
question what makes currencies strong?

What Makes A Currency Strong?

No one should delude us to believe that once our countries adopt a single
currency, the currency will automatically become strong. We have said in
our previous issues under this column that the Gambia must produce local
products, both raw and processed products in diversified or varied forms to
attract consumers both locally and internationally. Once we can attract
sufficient consumers and entrepreneurs who would want to buy our products,
then we can say we have created a sure way of building a strong currency
for the Gambia.

Apart from products, our services must also attract people, both Gambians
and foreigners alike so that they would be willing to pay for such
services. This will of course generate income and employment for the people.

For example, our country has a lot of natural resources such as our rivers,
ocean, fishes, animals, forest, water, both fresh and salt water, our human
resources and so on.  These are the resources we already have which we must
utilise in diverse ways to produce varied products to attract consumers
nationally and internationally.

We must also be able to attract visitors and tourists so that they come to
our country because when they come, they must be exposed to the varied
products and services which will compel them to purchase them. This process
of buying our currency first and then buying our products is what
popularises the dalasi thereby making it stronger and stronger.

If we as a country succeed in building this process and succeed in
maintaining peace and stability under a vibrant democratic system, we can
be rest assured that whether or not our currencies become single or not it
will become strong, but if we fail to build this process, our currency is
doom to failure, whether it is single or not.

What is however ideal for a currency to be very strong to compete with
other currencies such as the dollar, Euro etc is to have a monetary union
that would bring about a new relationship with the rest of the world. In
this case we need a single Central Bank that would regulate the currency
when the need arises.

One major benefit of a monetary union or a single currency is that if the
countries involved create divergent and varied products, trade will
definitely improve and the cost of transportation will be greatly
minimised, thereby bringing greater gains with increased trade among member
states.

What must however be borne in mind is that a single currency can boost
living standards when the right trade and fiscal policies are adopted, but
it can also become fruitless without the right economic steps adopted.

This is why in July 1995, the ECOWAS council of ministers adopted
proposals, which are geared towards a marked improvement in the management
of national economies of member states and the enhancement of monetary
cooperation in West Africa. It has been seen that medium and long term
measures are needed to achieve the goals of economic integration.

The difficulty will obviously arise when inflation increases in most ECOWAS
countries as it is happening in the Gambia. Effort must also be made to
harmonise the exchange rates also as well as putting a ceiling for their
national budgets. These must be done because no   country will want to be
part of a group of countries joining a currency only to see oneself instead
in a more devastating problem.

So as it stands now, the Gambia is far away from harmonizing inflation.
Inflation is getting wider and wider. Our budget is far from being balanced
and the dalasi so far is far from being stabilized. This is why some
analysts argue that it is fruitless for countries like The Gambia to come
under a single
currency.

And this in fact appears to  be the case. According to analyses of the
ECONOMIST Magazine and prediction for the year 2003 for the world economy,
Nigeria's 130 million people are waiting for presidential and parliamentary
elections for the
year 2003 in June against a backdrop of a failing economy and religious
violence. It says Togo's General Gnassingbe Eyadema may leave finally as
the constitution demands; having shot his way to power in 1966; that true
to his form, he is now grooming his son as successor. It spoke of him as
one of the most brutal and corrupt leaders.

For Liberia, rebellion continues which destroyed nearly all of what little
productive capacity existed. Rebel activity has created thousands of
refugees.

Sierra Leone is another place devastated by a long and protracted civil war
which reduced its economy to almost last position in the UN's World Human
Development Report.

Looking at another direction, all these countries are indebted and are
struggling to go on with a system that mortgages their future to debt and
debt services.

According to Professor Mammo Muchie, it is natural that the diversities,
inequalities, different levels of development, differing attitudes and
interests, presents problems in constructing a workable and unified
currency system. He said what is desirable is to precisely deal with these
varied problems; that Africa needs a currency system to create liquidity.
He said the direct exchange of local currencies promote the exchange of
private labours across Africa.

So there is no doubt, Mr. Jabbi, that the exchange of the existing national
currencies through a global or international currency definitely fragments
our countries and integrate our tiny national interests with the rest of
the world instead of integrating with our neighbours.

According to professor Mammo, monetary union is a key strategy to bring
about a new relationship, that its proper construction requires bountiful
political will that  cannot be taken for granted, given the ties and
propensity of the existing states not to pursue real collective action that
matters.

Source: FOROYAA (Freedom) NO: 7/2003   23 - 26 January, 2003
ISSN: 0796- 08573
Address: FOROYAA, P.O.Box 2306, Serrekunda, The Gambia, West Africa
Telephone: (220) 393177  Fax: (220) 393177
Email address: [log in to unmask]