GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 12 Mar 2003 17:14:49 +0100

The Independent (Banjul)
OPINION
March 10, 2003

Posted to the web March 10, 2003
Amie Sillah
Banjul
Death is a thief that no one can catch and be alive. Everything that be must
also have an end. But to die serving your
people is a worthy death. Heroes do not die, they live in our hearts.
If you cut my hands I'll still hold on! If you cut my lips I'll speak
out! If you cut my feet I'll still march on! No turning back! No
turning back! You are gone in body not in spirit sister.
People, friends, well wishers and acquaintances would ask where is
the twin partner? They were always together doing radio programmes,
T.V presentations, doing political campaigns, speaking to the people
everywhere and anywhere.
Yes we were always together excepts if one travels outside country.
I did not see her for sometime. I thought she traveled. My brother
came one day and said: "Amie, your friend is very sick I saw her at
the MRC (Medical Research Council)." I had to rush with Musa Sanneh,
a very keen brother to visit her at the Ndemban Clinic. The illness
was still under control. We spoke at length. I gave her courage. Few
days later she was discharged, we visited her home. We have a lengthy
discussion together. There was hope. She said: "Now I am OK I am
better.' Two days later I telephoned and I was told she was admitted
again. This time around with a; No Visit Sign' on her door. I became
scared. Aunty Adelaide Sosseh-Gaye rang me and expressed her concern.
She knew about our relationship. I had to rush to Lamtoro Medical
Centre with Musa again. We found her put on a Nasal feeding. Musa was
discouraged. He lost hope. I still have confidence. I gave him hope.
I visited my friend again before I left for Sri Lanka to attend the
Common wealth Editors Forum and Conference. I gave her a get well
card inscribed within I said: "To a woman of substance: The Gambian
youth, women and children need your services for many more years to
come." From your sister Amie.
I shook her hands, kissed her and gave her courage. She told me: "I
am very sick sister. I cannot make it. I am going to die." I was
shaken but I have to give her courage. I said to her: "You will not
die sister. You will live." Physically I cannot give her life. I wish
I could have those powers but I do not. She is gone in body but not
in spirit.
I left for Sri Lanka on Thursday 20th February 2003. I left The
Gambia with a heavy heart. I asked Musa and my husband Sam to be
checking Satang while I was away. I told Sam to inform Halifa.
The news came to me like a thunder bolt. It met me at Kandy - Sri
Lanka. The delegates were going out for an excursion and my
colleagues, Momodou Musa Touray, Editor-in-chief, Daily Observer
broke the news to me. I went into trance but have to struggle to
control my emotions.
The night was a nightmare. All our adventures together came vividly
to my mind. For two nights I broke down emotionally. It was
unbelievable. I thought it a rude joke. But the cruel reality is that
it is the truth.
I could remember her saying to me at the training session on peace
building organised for women community leaders by the Alliance for
Africa in partnership with the Federation of African Women's Peace
Networks held on the 20th to 27th March 2002, at Kairaba Beach Hotel.
During one of our sessions, we were asked to say what we would like
to be inscribed on our tombstone if we were to die. This is what Sat
has to say: "When I did tomorrow, I would like inscribed on my
tombstone: "A woman of Substance." When asked what is your
achievement in life she said: I have built an institution to empower
young girls and women and also have written a book entitled the
"Socio - Political Strides of Gambian Women." "In partnership and
unity lies strength." That was my partner and friend Satang Jobarteh.
On Children
Satang loved children. She attended all my Nursey programmes. She was
inspired by the children. She gave them support in cash and in kind.
She told me this is the basis of the struggle. "When children are
given a solid foundation our society would grow to higher heights."
My young girls were always eager to take a newspaper to Aunty Sat.
she talked to them and gave them courage.
On The Youths.
She conducted seminars and workshops for them to raise their
awareness on nationhood, partnership and gender equality. She started
her Simma Institution to help empower youths in the sphere of
vocational education. Many male and female youths were admitted on
gratis. The last successful seminar workshop she conducted was during
the 16 Days of Activism Against Gender Violence. A lot of youth (male
and female) were invited to mark the occasion.
I chaired most of the sessions. When some unemployed male youths
attacked some female youths in Brikama, Satang took a lead role. When
they sentenced the youths her position was: 'It is very sad because
these are poor misguided youths what they did is unacceptable. They
should have educated these girls but not to assault them. I hope from
here they would learn the bitter lesson not to allow themselves to be
used again."
She ensured that during the 16 Days of Activism Agaisnt Gender
Violence she included among the topics "Tolerance and understanding
among the youths." The youths discussed among themselves and there
was great understanding.
She was loved and respected by her students. She was one of them
always trying to ensure they excel.
On Her Staff
They all loved and respected her.
She was a colleague, a friend, a mother, a sister to all of them. Our
'chat' Arret Dampha is now shattered. Satang was a charismatic and
visionary leader. Her approach was the team approach. She told me:
'Amie, I cannot carry all these "monkeys" (tasks) all by myself. My
engagements are too many. I empowered my staff to carry on the work
to make the institution excel. And I can tell you they are all
excellent and understanding." I replied: "But Satang the credit goes
back to you. You illuminate the path and your staff followed." "It is
a two way thing give and take. "These were her exact words.
On Simma Simma is here to stay. It is the legacy
that Satang left us. Let her spirit shines to let this noble
institution grow from strength to strength. Let all the staff,
pupils', administration, parents, the public and everybody concern
ensure that this institution fulfils the vision of the Architect
Sister Satang Jobarteh. She is gone in body but not in spirit. Sister
Hujajah Conteh and Aunty Mama Sillah some of the mourners are
suggesting that Simma be name Satang Jobarteh Memorial Institute and
24th February be celebrated as Satang Jobarteh Day to keep her memory
alive.
On Women
Women emancipation and advancement in every sphere of life was her
obsession. Referring to her hand book she said: "This handbook is a
product of the women's counseling unit of Simma Vocational Training
specially to document women's legacy and to serve as an advocacy tool
for increased female representation in politics.'
She documented all women participation in politics in the past and in
the present. Her launching of the handbook was very successful. She
did everything to make it a success. Satang was a determined woman
she does not take no for an answer. The launching was done at the eve
of the National Assembly Elections when for the first time in the Gambian
history, 5 female candidates were contesting. Three for the
ruling party, one independent and one for the opposition. She gave us
equal coverage and encouraged everybody to participate. I was again
one of the speakers at the occasion. She donated computers to the
female candidates. The computers some of us have already received.
According to her, politics is the base, the lead role. "In decision
making bodies, i.e. the Cabinet, the National Assembly, Area Council
etc Is where policies are formulated and handed down to the people."
"The politics of the day determines the economic and socio-cultural
practices of the society. Women have to be there to ensure that they
are not left out", she said.
Quoting from her handbook on Acknowledgement after thanking everybody
she said: "Lastly, I am grateful to Allah the Almighty for giving me
the strength, vision and love for my people and country, which
inspired me to promote the significant contributions of women in our
political arena in this handbook and beyond." On the preface she
said:
(To be continued)