GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Katim S. Touray" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Dec 2001 21:28:57 -0800
Hi foks,

Me again.  First, I'd like to thank Ebrima for his perspective on what's been going
on the ground.  It is contributions like his (and before I forget, the wonderful ones
from Deyda Hydara about the late President Senghore) that make Gambia-L worth all the
while.  Please keep up your great work.

I'd like to add to responses that many have provided to Gassa's posting about
economic development.  An hour or so ago, I was reading the Introduction section of
The Gambia Government Development Program (Sessional Paper No. 10 of 1964) and came
across this paragraph that was screaming to be heard in the present debate.  Here it
is:

"Development planners often distinguish between 'infrastructure projects' such as
communications and public utilities, 'economic projects' for promoting agriculture
and industry, and 'social projects' in education, health and welfare.  In the long
run, this distinction is largely without meaning.  An educated and healthy population
is a sounder 'infrastructure' than a system of motor roads and is more 'economic'
than a number of well-established plantations or factories."

 I hope the above further illustrates why some of us are not terribly impressed by
all the material gains, and infrastructure brought about by the Jammeh government.
Have a great week, and again, best wishes for a GREAT NEW YEAR!!

Katim